Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #15
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
I simply don't trust the A8, it's a flawed transmission. The vette is lighter and better handling, but the Camaro is cheaper to insure and every bit as fast on the street.

Vettes have the "middle aged guy with a paunch" stigma that bothers me - plus NO ONE wants to play when you're in a vette but I enjoy nonstop entertainment with M3/4s, ricers, and Mustangs in the ZL1. No regrets at all and Riverside is a wonderful subdued color

Have fun with the Z06.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #16
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
I simply don't trust the A8, it's a flawed transmission. The vette is lighter and better handling, but the Camaro is cheaper to insure and every bit as fast on the street.

Vettes have the "middle aged guy with a paunch" stigma that bothers me - plus NO ONE wants to play when you're in a vette but I enjoy nonstop entertainment with M3/4s, ricers, and Mustangs in the ZL1. No regrets at all and Riverside is a wonderful subdued color

Have fun with the Z06.
I agree with all of this. I hate that the Corvette driver has that reputation, I've owned several and I don't fit into that category but honestly, a lot of Corvette owners are late middle aged or senior citizens. I love our C8 Corvette though, I just couldn't see any good reason to buy a C7 Z06 over the ZL1.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #17
racer01

Drives: 19' ZL1
The biggest side benefit of the ZL1 to me is having all the performance but flying "under the radar". I live in a pretty small rural South Carolina town, and previous cars over the last few years (new NSX, 911 GT3 with center muffler delete, and the first A90 Supra in the area) just caused waaay too much attention. If my ZL1 wasn't bright red I could probably even get gas on a weekend afternoon without a long car conversation.
I actually still look at the manual transmission C7 grand sport from time to time, just because I don't need the practicality of the camaro and love the wide body looks of the C7 and the GS makes the most sense to me as an occasional track car for my needs.
Anyone driven both the C7 manual 7 speed vs the ZL1 6 speed?? I love a good manual, and the ZL1 is just about perfect feeling to me. That extra gear seems like it would just crowd up the shift pattern....may need to try and find one to drive and see for myself.
racer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #18
Robster

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1, 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer01 View Post
Anyone driven both the C7 manual 7 speed vs the ZL1 6 speed??
I have done so. It was a C7 Grand Sport with the Z07 package, vs my 2017 ZL1 M6.

I found the shift throws on the C7 to be short and precise, maybe a little shorter than the ZL1. I didn't have the opportunity to do hard shifting though.

I loved the feeling of the lighter and lower C7 chassis. I could see how it could be a handful with an LT4.

The Camaro felt a bit heavy going back into it vs the C7. I think I would enjoy having a C7 Z06.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #19
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Having owned a C7Z06, it’s a very quick car. Hooks up and runs. The m7 was great, really liked that transmission. The targa top is neat but I rarely used it, oh well. Obviously buy one after they changed intercooler bricks in the supercharger.
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #20
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
I came from a C7 Z06 with the A8 transmission. It's a shit car. Chassis can only handle 500hp max. Confidence is not a word you will use with the C7Z. I tracked the car and also hit back roads with it.

The overheating debacle coupled with the poor transmissions (A8 or 7 speed) left me cold.

The C7 Z06 is a waxers dream but a 'driver's' nightmare. When I say driver - I mean someone who does spirited runs on backroads and spends lots of time on track.

Last edited by Checkmate1; 11-18-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Quote:

Have fun with the Z06.
I agree with these points. I plan to mod the car and hopefully have most of the A8 issues tuned out. I am curious about its road manners because I do drive pretty spiritedly. To be honest here in Houston it seems most people will race you. I'm more afraid to race a random Mustang to be honest. So many out here look stock with twin turbo set ups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
Having owned a C7Z06, it’s a very quick car. Hooks up and runs. The m7 was great, really liked that transmission. The targa top is neat but I rarely used it, oh well. Obviously buy one after they changed intercooler bricks in the supercharger.
I'll be swapping the supercharger with a 2650 soon after getting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
I came from a C7 Z06 with the A8 transmission. It's a shit car. Chassis can only handle 500hp max. Confidence is not a word you will use with the C7Z. I tracked the car and also hit back roads with it.

The overheating debacle coupled with the poor transmissions (A8 or 7 speed) left me cold.

The C7 Z06 is a waxers dream but a 'driver's' nightmare. When I say driver - I mean someone who does spirited runs on backroads and spends lots of time on track.
Well I won't be tracking it. I plan to mod the car up to over 800 whp. I'll probably take a driving class just to be on the safe side because I have hit performance shift in my ZL1 a few times in turns. Would hate to spin out expecting too much out of the Z06.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #22
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Quote:

Have fun with the Z06.
I might have to disagree with that. My old Camaro had over 240 runs down the track with the stock converter and 13,000 miles. Most of those runs were above 700 rwhp and probably the last 80 passes were above 850 plus rwhp. The guy that bought it from me has made another 30 plus passes. The fluid has never been changed although I did dump the converter both times I pulled the motor and the fluid looked perfect, however I did go through two short blocks and the new owner did finally break the diff on the launch. The way you make these live is to not start screwing with the torque management and if you do you'll shorten the life of the tranny. Just my two cents about my A8 Tranny.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #23
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
I'll chime back in again.

The Z06 drives better and feels better then a ZL1 on the street. I own one, I love it. The only difference is the Z06 is maniacal at the limit, it has to be respected compared to the ZL1s composure at the limit. If your driving on the street I'd say Z06 all the way but I have no idea what your driving habits are, maybe you push more then you should on public roads, if this is the case you need to be prepared for this thing to bite you in the ass. The Z06 is amazing when it hooks but the car, even in same conditions the second time around may be all over the place.
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #24
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exia View Post

The Z06 drives better and feels better then a ZL1 on the street. I own one, I love it. The only difference is the Z06 is maniacal at the limit, it has to be respected compared to the ZL1s composure at the limit. If your driving on the street I'd say Z06 all the way but I have no idea what your driving habits are, maybe you push more then you should on public roads, if this is the case you need to be prepared for this thing to bite you in the ass. The Z06 is amazing when it hooks but the car, even in same conditions the second time around may be all over the place.
My first mod will be 19 inch reproduction rims with 345 R888R on the rear. I plan to very carefully work my way up to this cars potential. Coming from a 04 Camry it took me a lot of time to learn my ZL1, but it became a very comfortable car to casually push around. I've most certainly never been to its limits, but I'm typically too scared of a ticket to do anything to silly anyway

My only concern these days is going to a 3 year older car, and having to go through the process of transmission flushing, transmission updates, magnetic ride updates, and going through GM to get the newer radiators installed.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #25
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The Z06 is always going to be the better car. Some will just prefer the ZL1 which is fine. But the Z06 is a better performer. And it is most definitely faster. The overheating issues came with track use. I have known several people who had them and only drove them on the streets and they never had an issue. If that is all you're gonna do with occasional quarter mile use then you will be fine.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #26
Exia
Exia

Drives: '23 Corvette Z06/Z07 & '22 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
My first mod will be 19 inch reproduction rims with 345 R888R on the rear. I plan to very carefully work my way up to this cars potential. Coming from a 04 Camry it took me a lot of time to learn my ZL1, but it became a very comfortable car to casually push around. I've most certainly never been to its limits, but I'm typically too scared of a ticket to do anything to silly anyway

My only concern these days is going to a 3 year older car, and having to go through the process of transmission flushing, transmission updates, magnetic ride updates, and going through GM to get the newer radiators installed.
Since your in Texas your roads (and average temperature) may be more in your favor then mine. I would look at afternarket for A8 cooling solutions. I have no idea what will happen if you throw the 2650 on but stock Z06s do not experience overheating on the street, no matter the transmission.

The magride software update I believe costs around $200 from the dealer.

I have no issues casually pushing my Z06. I've never had any issues on the street in my Z06 and the lower seating position and lower hood really makes this car feel phenomenal on the street.

You sound like you know how to pick your battles on the road, I think you will love the Z06, I know I do.

In terms of going to a 3 year old car. I owned a 2016 Camaro. The C7 doesn't really feel outdated compared to the Camaro except in the gauge cluster and infotainment but that doesn't bother me. Throw up android auto, use the heads up display, your set.
Exia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #27
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exia View Post

I've read from several owners online and local owners that the C7 Z06 is unpredictable. I really wanted to like the C7 Z06 but I just can't see any benefit to it over the ZL1 other than the lower weight. I just wasn't willing to make that trade off for an inferior transmission. Shame they never used an A10 in the Z06. I still like them but I'm waiting to see what the C8 Z06 is going to be like or if the C7 ZR1 ever drops below 100k, I'll bite. I had a C5 Z06 which was a wonderful car.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #28
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I've read from several owners online and local owners that the C7 Z06 is unpredictable. I really wanted to like the C7 Z06 but I just can't see any benefit to it over the ZL1 other than the lower weight. I just wasn't willing to make that trade off for an inferior transmission. Shame they never used an A10 in the Z06. I still like them but I'm waiting to see what the C8 Z06 is going to be like or if the C7 ZR1 ever drops below 100k, I'll bite. I had a C5 Z06 which was a wonderful car.
Well in a less engineering sense, it looks nicer and you can take the top off.