Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #1
Pantherzl1

Drives: 2019 Camaro zl1
19 Zl1 A10 vs 19 Zl1 1le A10

Dig and roll racing, which would come out on top the regular zl1 A10 or the zlE A10?
Pantherzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:47 AM   #2
LordKevin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss Red Hot
I guess you have no common sense. One has more aero that will slow it down. Sorry see a dumb question gotta make it known
LordKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
TMac2254

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 A10
It would be very close if not dead even. Driver would play a big part in it.
TMac2254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Who cares? All that matters is the A10 so you don't get beaten by a mustang gt and have the video posted on YouTube so then all the mustang trolls think is faster.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
From a dig, I would think that the better tire of the ZLE would give it the advantage of getting off the line faster. After some higher speeds the ZLE would start to slow down due to drag from the arrow. I think it’ll be close.

From a roll, the ZL1’would take it.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
From a dig, I would think that the better tire of the ZLE would give it the advantage of getting off the line faster. After some higher speeds the ZLE would start to slow down due to drag from the arrow. I think it’ll be close.

From a roll, the ZL1’would take it.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKevin View Post
I guess you have no common sense. One has more aero that will slow it down. Sorry see a dumb question gotta make it known
Not everyone is an Aerodynamics expert, like yourself. The OP is just trying to learn - like everyone else on here. But, since we have an expert present, can you elaborate a little more and explain to everyone the differences in the drag-coefficient between the 2 models? At what speed does the additional aero and downforce really begin to hamper the ZLE? If you could explain it using formulaic expressions, that would be incredibly helpful - I'm a visual learner and really need to see the math in order to understand such elementary, common sense concepts.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post
Not everyone is an Aerodynamics expert, like yourself. The OP is just trying to learn - like everyone else on here. But, since we have an expert present, can you elaborate a little more and explain to everyone the differences in the drag-coefficient between the 2 models? At what speed does the additional aero and downforce really begin to hamper the ZLE? If you could explain it using formulaic expressions, that would be incredibly helpful - I'm a visual learner and really need to see the math in order to understand such elementary, common sense concepts.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
You have to think the sticky bigger tire of the e would have to give an edge outta the hole...I don't know enough where the added downforce would come into play for the z to catch up, but guessing it would start kicking in around a 100mph or so.

I'm not a 1/4 guy but do see where many mention tour mode is an asset so not sure how much suspension would come into play...kinda splitting hairs between the two but kinda fun to think of the minor differences in this application.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac2254 View Post
It would be very close if not dead even. Driver would play a big part in it.
+1 this. Dig/drag racing to the 1/4 will be more driver limited than anything. But once the driver is no longer a factor, it will be traction. 1LE's wider rear and stickier rubber will benefit traction the most. The stiffer 1LE suspension will limit weight transfer a bit, but this penalty will be smaller than the benefit from the tires.

30 roll and maybe even up to 60 roll will be driver first (jump), then traction next.

The 1LE's drag limit will not come into play until you're above 130 mph or so. And outside of doing 1/2mi and 1mi events you're never going to get to where aero would ever come into play, IMO.

The top speed is aero limited for sure:
  • Wider front tiers = slower (more drag)
  • Canards = slower (more drag)
  • Bigger rear wing = slower (more drag)
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #12
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
The more aggressive tuning of the A10 in the ZL1 1LE will have it win slightly on a roll run.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I wonder how many A10 E owners are going to wring them out at the strip in stock form...I guess this would really help nail it down in time.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #14
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
+1 this. Dig/drag racing to the 1/4 will be more driver limited than anything. But once the driver is no longer a factor, it will be traction. 1LE's wider rear and stickier rubber will benefit traction the most. The stiffer 1LE suspension will limit weight transfer a bit, but this penalty will be smaller than the benefit from the tires.

30 roll and maybe even up to 60 roll will be driver first (jump), then traction next.

The 1LE's drag limit will not come into play until you're above 130 mph or so. And outside of doing 1/2mi and 1mi events you're never going to get to where aero would ever come into play, IMO.

The top speed is aero limited for sure:
  • Wider front tiers = slower (more drag)
  • Canards = slower (more drag)
  • Bigger rear wing = slower (more drag)
The 1/4 mile is a driver's race anything after that, the 1LE will lose. The tires area an advantage but also less of an advantage at the same time.

Wider tires are good for traction but bad in a straight line only race. The have more mass that need to be rotated.

You want a straight line Camaro? Go with the ZL1. You want a road course monster, go with the 1LE.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote