Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Bringing this one back. I just noticed the rapid ticking/clicking noise on mine on the right front while ripping through the canyons. The car has ~2800 miles on it, and I have previously taken off the wheels and performed the service bulletin. I think I did it early on — maybe at 1000 miles — as I was hearing an occasional tick when cutting the wheel during parking lot maneuvers and such.

I’m going to do it again, and I guess I’ll see how it goes. Need to go grab my expensive Snap On torque wrench from work first.

As a side note, BMW has a really similar issue with the M3, M4, M6, etc. they actually released a friction washer that is placed between the wheel and hub. I might grab a couple and try them on my Z. They share the same bolt pattern, so I’m thinking it’ll work.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:27 PM   #16
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Bringing this one back. I just noticed the rapid ticking/clicking noise on mine on the right front while ripping through the canyons. The car has ~2800 miles on it, and I have previously taken off the wheels and performed the service bulletin. I think I did it early on — maybe at 1000 miles — as I was hearing an occasional tick when cutting the wheel during parking lot maneuvers and such.

I’m going to do it again, and I guess I’ll see how it goes. Need to go grab my expensive Snap On torque wrench from work first.

As a side note, BMW has a really similar issue with the M3, M4, M6, etc. they actually released a friction washer that is placed between the wheel and hub. I might grab a couple and try them on my Z. They share the same bolt pattern, so I’m thinking it’ll work.
I just noticed this the other day for the first time on a off-ramp getting off the freeway. Coming from the left front side under tight radius exit ramp.

I have 2K miles.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:39 PM   #17
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I just noticed this the other day for the first time on a off-ramp getting off the freeway. Coming from the left front side under tight radius exit ramp.

I have 2K miles.
I don’t think the service bulletin is really a permanent fix, but it seems to take care of it for a while. I just took my wheel off and cleaned everything up. Also did a little of what BMW’s bulletin recommends and lightly sanded the wheel contact surface. Haven’t driven it yet to test.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
BMWM.D.

Here's the procedure that BMW came up with if anyone is interested. Seems like a better permanent fix than what GM came up with. They seem to think some of the noise is from the area between the rotor and hub. Obviously, it could be different between the two platforms, but they are very similar in design and the noise that is made.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf B340515_Attachment_A.pdf (189.5 KB, 92 views)
Old 08-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #19
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Aluminum wheel + Steel hub + water/heat = galvanic corrosion. Oxide forms on the aluminum over time, wedging the wheel and making it rock, causing the ticking noise.

The grease applied at LGR is not as good as as the BMW insulator. Both will help slow but not permanently stop the corrosion.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #20
C Man

Drives: 2018 White Convertible Camaro ZL1
It’s amazing what we can learn from each other. Dealership cleaned the hub up during my oil change. They didn’t know about the bulletin. Luckily you guys got it for me. Thanks everyone for the input.

If it happens again I’ll see about the BMW fix.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #21
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Man View Post
It’s amazing what we can learn from each other. Dealership cleaned the hub up during my oil change. They didn’t know about the bulletin. Luckily you guys got it for me. Thanks everyone for the input.

Disregard this post
Old 09-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #22
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Man View Post

I had been thinking the BMW friction washer may not work due to differences in wheel bolt/stud diameters, but both cars use a 14mm size. So these should work. I’m going to get a set to try, as they’re quite cheap from what I remember. We’ve done this to a few M cars at the shop.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:57 AM   #23
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Just took car in this morning for same reason; Clicking sound from left front area, only when doing hard right turn at low speeds <10 mph. I referred them to the above service bulletin. Lets see what happens...
Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #24
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
If I think I know what you're saying then it's the ABS/ Stability control kicking in. I noticed this while listening to another ZL1 and SS 1LEs while at a autocross event last month.

Try making the same turns with the all the nannies turned off.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #25
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
If I think I know what you're saying then it's the ABS/ Stability control kicking in. I noticed this while listening to another ZL1 and SS 1LEs while at a autocross event last month.

Try making the same turns with the all the nannies turned off.
No, it is a clicking sound that has nothing to do with ABS or traction control.

Mine was fixed under warranty and has never returned. Has something to do with the wheel to hub interface.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #26
kcobra

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Same problem.

Thanks for the attachment
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote