Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #15
Kise

Drives: 16' 2SS, 06' Silverado SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I can’t find anyone locally to do my mirrors. They all say the same thing that they won’t be able to get a clean fit because of the curves and angles. I might remove them this winter to have painted.
I have my local companies ( a few) say the same thing yet they give me a 3k quote for the whole car.

and I have seen quite a bit of wrapped cars around the Columbus area so I know its do-able.
Kise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #16
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
To keep it peeling from around the edges, the pros use 3M adhesion promoter and a small artist paint brush to coat the edges before they wrap.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
To keep it peeling from around the edges, the pros use 3M adhesion promoter and a small artist paint brush to coat the edges before they wrap.
very crucial info. ill have to look into this.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #18
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
My father and I have done quite a few times because he kept wanting to change the color of it. There are few tricks you can use to wrap the mirrors or any curves.

One is to pre stretch the wrap. Remove the backing completely and then stick one edge of the wrap (like an inch wide) to a table edge. Using the heat gun, heat the whole piece evenly and slightly pull on it. Stretch it to something around 30% (do not over stretch, you maybe damage the wrap and discolor it, my suggestion is to use some small pieces and make few tests to see when it tends to over stretch). Once you're done, let it cool down while keeping it stretched. This way, when you will apply the wrap, you only have to heat it slightly and it will shrink around the curves. You won't end up with a massive amount of over material on the edge.

As mentioned above, the material is crucial. Different brands will have different properties. Avery is the best one when you want to stretch it, the material is more flexible as opposed to vvivid which tends to be harder to wrap on corners or tight curves. 3M is a good inbetween. Some will have the color you want and some won't, it's a matter of finding the best compromise.

As said above as well, to save yourself some edge peeling, get the edge adhesive. I personally don't use it because it is a mess to remove and you can be left with some residue once you unwrap. The trick is to make sure the edges are not stretched. The reason why they peel off is because the sun heats the wrap and make it shrink. What I normally do is to unwrap about a quarter of an inch and heat the wrap unt it is back to its relaxed state. Then I wrap the edges back and tuck the extra in the seams. The wrap won't shrink in the middle because it is bonded all around and won't shrink on the edges because it is not stretched.

Also, regarding the fact if you want to have the mirror off the car or not, I suggest to keep it on the car. If you ever have to pull on the material, you don't want the mirror to follow if it is on a table (especially if you are doing it alone). When it is on the car, the part just won't move and it will give you enough room to pull on it if required. And it is sort of an extra hand where you don't have to hold the part, the wrap, and the heat gun at the same time.

Get some knifeless tape as well if you ever have to do a seam in an hidden place. Of course you won't be able to make the top part in one single shot, so knifeless tape will help you to make an almost invisible seam.

Good luck. Expect the first trial to fail, maybe the second one as well. Mirrors are tricky but doable.

Keep us posted and show us the result!
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #19
Quester

Drives: 16 2SS Convertable
Have you thought about plastidip or something like that? Would be quick and easy and you could change colors at will.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #20
Camaro_QC

Plastidip is the worse thing ever... especially when you want to remove it...
6000 - 6/29/2018
Old 06-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #21
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
My father and I have done quite a few times because he kept wanting to change the color of it. There are few tricks you can use to wrap the mirrors or any curves.

One is to pre stretch the wrap. Remove the backing completely and then stick one edge of the wrap (like an inch wide) to a table edge. Using the heat gun, heat the whole piece evenly and slightly pull on it. Stretch it to something around 30% (do not over stretch, you maybe damage the wrap and discolor it, my suggestion is to use some small pieces and make few tests to see when it tends to over stretch). Once you're done, let it cool down while keeping it stretched. This way, when you will apply the wrap, you only have to heat it slightly and it will shrink around the curves. You won't end up with a massive amount of over material on the edge.

As mentioned above, the material is crucial. Different brands will have different properties. Avery is the best one when you want to stretch it, the material is more flexible as opposed to vvivid which tends to be harder to wrap on corners or tight curves. 3M is a good inbetween. Some will have the color you want and some won't, it's a matter of finding the best compromise.

As said above as well, to save yourself some edge peeling, get the edge adhesive. I personally don't use it because it is a mess to remove and you can be left with some residue once you unwrap. The trick is to make sure the edges are not stretched. The reason why they peel off is because the sun heats the wrap and make it shrink. What I normally do is to unwrap about a quarter of an inch and heat the wrap unt it is back to its relaxed state. Then I wrap the edges back and tuck the extra in the seams. The wrap won't shrink in the middle because it is bonded all around and won't shrink on the edges because it is not stretched.

Also, regarding the fact if you want to have the mirror off the car or not, I suggest to keep it on the car. If you ever have to pull on the material, you don't want the mirror to follow if it is on a table (especially if you are doing it alone). When it is on the car, the part just won't move and it will give you enough room to pull on it if required. And it is sort of an extra hand where you don't have to hold the part, the wrap, and the heat gun at the same time.

Get some knifeless tape as well if you ever have to do a seam in an hidden place. Of course you won't be able to make the top part in one single shot, so knifeless tape will help you to make an almost invisible seam.

Good luck. Expect the first trial to fail, maybe the second one as well. Mirrors are tricky but doable.

Keep us posted and show us the result!
a lot of good info in here.
I have done some minor previous work but when I got quotes the wrapping companies always jumped on the mirrors as first topic.

I think it will be fairly easy, my only concerns are the flush finish at the base of the mirror by the door, inside the mirror like where the actual mirror is connected to the housing and the crease on the housing where the top and bottom of the housing connects.

not sure if I should do two pieces there or try to just go over it with one.

am ordering the wrap today so I will post results when I get to tackle it!
Old 06-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #22
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
Have you thought about plastidip or something like that? Would be quick and easy and you could change colors at will.
ive plasti dipped stuff on some of my older cars.
it is a bitch coming off, on a lot of materials and will ruin some finishes.

I remember doing my stock wheels on a charger I used to have, I went to put 22s on it and the plastidip was caked and nearly ruined the stock wheels.

i appreciate the help and input but i would only plastidip a beater car.
too much risk.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #23
Camaro_QC

I have never taken the time to look at a Camaro mirror in detail to see how I would do it. But looking at pictures, I'd make a seam running from the inboard lower corner and going down to where it mounts on the body. Since it is a cylindrical part, you can't wrap it without a seam. And since it is against the door, it won't be visible.

You can always wrap it on the car, then take it off to finish the underside and mount it back.
6000 - 6/29/2018
Old 06-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #24
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
I have never taken the time to look at a Camaro mirror in detail to see how I would do it. But looking at pictures, I'd make a seam running from the inboard lower corner and going down to where it mounts on the body. Since it is a cylindrical part, you can't wrap it without a seam. And since it is against the door, it won't be visible.

You can always wrap it on the car, then take it off to finish the underside and mount it back.
ive watched videos of people doing it without removing it so that is a plus.

I wonder if I should tape over the gap on the housing that runs down the middle or if I should just stretch over and let it go.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm having mine done in 2 weeks by the folks who did my hood/trunk/door graphics. They did a spectacular job on that. Also there are red wrapped sides on the grill and pin stripe and "SS" on the lower doors. Quoted me ~$250 for the side mirrors and antenna fin.

Here is their facebook page to see some of their work:
https://www.facebook.com/wrapsesh/

My car now:

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #26
Kise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post
I'm having mine done in 2 weeks by the folks who did my hood/trunk/door graphics. They did a spectacular job on that. Also there are red wrapped sides on the grill and pin stripe and "SS" on the lower doors. Quoted me ~$250 for the side mirrors and antenna fin.

My car now:
wow that's not terrible.
they make crazy profit considering the wrap and gear cost maybe 30 bucks. post a pic of the results if possible!
Old 07-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #27
Kise

I have my 3m 1080 in satin matte black from metrorestyling.com with a few other goodies in the mail as we speak.

hope to start the installation on Thursday or Friday before good guys.

I don't think ill need adhesive promoter but I have some laying around just in case. normally that is only needed on edges on spots that may have exposure to weather and other elements.

I will be doing this by myself as my brother is only enticed when he hears he word "pay" .
will take pics and make notes as I think the mirrors will be the only struggle I have.

I also purchased some sample chrome gold sheets to try out either on the bowties and or SS emblem on the back as I deleted the front.

now I just need a good matte cleaner/detailer.
I have seen a lot of adams recommendations.

cant wait!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:10 PM   #28
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post

My car now:
And here is the finished product, another excellent job:

Had the red pin and SS redone on the lower door, it was too small.

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote