Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-18-2018, 03:02 AM   #1
MarkC

Drives: 2018 HBM 2SS/1LE
Is the NavTV M650-GM worth it?

I just purchased a new 2SS/1LE that will be my only car. Car audio and electronics is a hobby of mine, and I've done a few paid installs for others (mostly in C5/C6 Corvettes), so I can handle the work.

I already have 80% of all needed parts to do a full install in the Camaro, but I was wondering if spending $850 on a M650-GM would be worth it.

My current plan:

Inputs
- tap into front door and dash speakers
- use LC7i ch 1&2 to sum them into a full signal for new fronts and sub
- maybe use LC7i ch 3 to convert rear side speakers for new rears

Amp(s)
- Arc XDi 1200.6 ch 1-4 for active fronts, ch 5-6 bridged for sub
- Arc KS 125.2 to feed new rears, maybe

Speakers
- CDT ES-06 in the doors and CDT HD-2 in the dash
- 6.5" 2-ways on the rear deck, maybe
- Arc 10D2 wired as 4ohm load in a new custom box in the trunk

As of now I'm leaning towards not messing with new rears, but since I already have the parts I can't stop myself from thinking about it

Anyway.... I don't have $850 burning a hole in my pocket, but coming up with it wouldn't be too difficult, so I'm wondering if buying the M650-GM would be worth it. Then I could skip the wire taps and LC7i, and possibly (probably) get a better signal into the 1200.6 amp.

Opinions on any/all of the above are welcome
Old 06-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Arc Audio makes great stuff, good choice.

I typically(well only) run Hybrid Audio Technology (HAT)drivers, but have dabbled a bit with amps.

In my CTSV, I am running a 3 way front stage using Hybrid Audio Legatia SE drivers (L1 Pro RR tweeters, 3.7" Legatia SE midrange, Legatia L8SE 9.1" midbass)
Rear fill with Imagine c6.5" coaxials, running two JLW6 front firing box sealed off, installed into opening of trunk.

I am NOT running the M650 in this setup, but am running an Audison Bitone DSP, and Audison BitPlay HD carputer. Amps are Audison Voce 5.1KHD and Audison Voce AV Quattro, and Audison SR2 for rear fill. These are all digital amps

This is the best sounding system I have ever designed.

In my Maro, I am running, Hybrid Audio Drivers, three way front stage again, with Legatia L1v2 tweeters, Unity 2.9" midrange, and Legatia L6SE midbass. I have HAT rear fill 6.5" coxials, and am running two Hybrid Audio Unity class D amps (5 channel and 4 channel) going to 1 Subwoofer in a sealed custom fiberglass box.

I AM using the M650-GM >>Hertx H8 DSP >> Hybrid Class D amplifers

The M650 was not necessary for my CTSV build, because I play my audiophile (FLAC) music through my BitplayHD, which is digital source, connected via fiber optics, to digital amps. In the Camaro, The M650 allows a flat signal to be sent to either a sound processor or amplifiers, but it ALSO allows for the retention of all door dings, reverse signals, etc at the normal volume.

The correct functionality of all signals and dings using the Line out device you are considering has not ben verified. But the general consensus from all audiophiles on this forum is that, if you can afford the M650, do it. It will save you tons of headaches and you can't beat the dual option of digital and analog output from his device!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:15 AM   #3
MarkC

Drives: 2018 HBM 2SS/1LE
Good info, thanks.

One more question:

If I was to disconnect the center dash speaker, will I completely remove any non-audio sounds (chimes, nav, phone, whatever)? I've only put 250 miles on the car so far and that center speaker is already getting on my nerves pretty bad.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
Good info, thanks.

One more question:

If I was to disconnect the center dash speaker, will I completely remove any non-audio sounds (chimes, nav, phone, whatever)? I've only put 250 miles on the car so far and that center speaker is already getting on my nerves pretty bad.
Again, I can't speak for not using the M650. We disconnected and removed the center dash speaker because it is unnecessary for proper staging. With the M650, and center speaker removed, you still have all dings and sounds. If you use the line out converters, I am not sure.

There was a lot of frustration on these forums when the car first came out and the M650 was not yet available!
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 06-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
Naptown Josh

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS
I have the LT with the 6 speaker non bose system and I did my upgrade without the M650-GM. My setup is similar to what you plan to do and I find it to be very nice. I did not have $850 laying around either.
Naptown Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown Josh View Post
I have the LT with the 6 speaker non bose system and I did my upgrade without the M650-GM. My setup is similar to what you plan to do and I find it to be very nice. I did not have $850 laying around either.
The 6 speaker system with the non bose is setup completely different. The presence of the ANC which is spidered into the BOSE system and amp complicates things.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
Well I think it is worth it, but I can tell you for a fact when it does not work it sucks! No sounds can call anyone or GPS voice. Not sure if it the GM-650 bugs since Oct 2017 I got the first unit and there has been 3-4 FW updates. Once they get things worked out as I really think their are not many GM-650 out their that they would get more feedback. I will be testing the newest FW but the issue I have they don't think it won't fix my issue as they have not heard of that unit. To be fair they said it could be the head unit but I don't think so.

So waiting would be your best option now and go with what you are thinking with the your setup and can always replace with the GM-650 and use the Tosh fiber cable so run that while your running the front speaker cables. Know this if you have the Bose Audio then each speaker channel is not full freq as Bose changes the crossovers and audio processing, with the GM-650 you get a full spectrum un touched audio.

Christopher
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengell View Post
Well I think it is worth it, but I can tell you for a fact when it does not work it sucks! No sounds can call anyone or GPS voice. Not sure if it the GM-650 bugs since Oct 2017 I got the first unit and there has been 3-4 FW updates. Once they get things worked out as I really think their are not many GM-650 out their that they would get more feedback. I will be testing the newest FW but the issue I have they don't think it won't fix my issue as they have not heard of that unit. To be fair they said it could be the head unit but I don't think so.

So waiting would be your best option now and go with what you are thinking with the your setup and can always replace with the GM-650 and use the Tosh fiber cable so run that while your running the front speaker cables. Know this if you have the Bose Audio then each speaker channel is not full freq as Bose changes the crossovers and audio processing, with the GM-650 you get a full spectrum un touched audio.

Christopher
Honestly, they should have replaced your unit. I have never had any issues like that with my unit. The problem I was having turned out to be amp overheating, which was fixed with a fan in the amp rack. I would really demand a replacement M650 if I were you. Just a thought.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #9
NAV-TV

Drives: '17 Escalade, '18 F150, '17 X5
Hi Guys ! Glad to be here.
cengell, There are about 350 M650's out there since the release. If you have never updated the unit, now could be the right time to do so. We release updates since it's a complicated unit and a complicated bus, and bugs do occur.
You would be happy with the updates, but if you feel there is something wrong with the unit, We'll gladly replace it.

Moni
NAV-TV / Zen Audio
NAV-TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #10
lfree11012

Drives: 2018 1LE
I am also thinking about using M650 on my 18 1le. but might be chipper to make a t-harnes to feed a DSP and deal with really load door chime if there is a group buy on this part I am become interested
lfree11012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV-TV View Post
Hi Guys ! Glad to be here.
cengell, There are about 350 M650's out there since the release. If you have never updated the unit, now could be the right time to do so. We release updates since it's a complicated unit and a complicated bus, and bugs do occur.
You would be happy with the updates, but if you feel there is something wrong with the unit, We'll gladly replace it.

Moni
NAV-TV / Zen Audio
Wow, figured there would be more. Many people complain about the $850, but don't understand how much money went into the R&D to bring us this product. I would have thought $999 would still be a great price for this device. Great product you guys have... now replace my man cengell's so he can have great sounding tunes all the time.

Quote:
I am also thinking about using M650 on my 18 1le. but might be chipper to make a t-harness to feed a DSP and deal with really load door chime if there is a group buy on this part I am become interested
of course that would be cheaper, but cheaper does not mean better. I would save up for the extra $$ and get the unit. just my opinion

Old 06-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
lfree11012

Drfeelgood your right cheaper is not batter I order mine today should be here by Friday. how ever when ordering was told that there a 5% chance that I might lose sound on one side of there car and if that happen I have to send my old tuner in as a core and have them send me one Back. don't know that that is all about for a non Bose OEM set up but I will review and let you know how it works when I get it. I also have a BIT TEN D that I am going to use with the system so hoping that the digital out works with out problem.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfree11012 View Post
Drfeelgood your right cheaper is not batter I order mine today should be here by Friday. how ever when ordering was told that there a 5% chance that I might lose sound on one side of there car and if that happen I have to send my old tuner in as a core and have them send me one Back. don't know that that is all about for a non Bose OEM set up but I will review and let you know how it works when I get it. I also have a BIT TEN D that I am going to use with the system so hoping that the digital out works with out problem.
If I recall correctly, they ask you the specific number on the back of your unit in order to prevent this from happening. The combo of M650-Gm + bit ten should be great!

if you have a factory amp, remember, keep the factory amp plugged in. Somehow, it is all spidered in. When we tried to unplug the factory amp, we lost some sounds (dings, etc)

Old 06-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #14
lfree11012

So I went down and picked my gm-650 up today. I am looking forward to installing it with my xmd jl1000X. (5CH amp) and and BIT TEN D. still have a Few more parts to order before I will start the install. but here a pic it the unit and a plug from the guy that I got from (not sure if I can plug him or not but if not plz let me know)Name:  FpqATDrXRaGeKe5VDbOxXw.jpg
Views: 1836
Size:  259.9 KB