Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
2020/21 front bumper cover update

Since April I’ve been trying to order the front bumper cover to switch it out and paint it body color. The order keeps getting canceled. Anyone have any kuck?
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:14 AM   #2
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Since April I’ve been trying to order the front bumper cover to switch it out and paint it body color. The order keeps getting canceled. Anyone have any kuck?
Are you trying to order the full cover? I thought that the center "bar" was an individually replaceable item - you would only need to order that piece and have it painted to match then swap it in. No?

My guess is that, unless you are a body shop ordering direct from GM for repair purposes (and paying MSRP), you aren't getting most body parts right now because of supply shortages.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #3
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Are you trying to order the full cover? I thought that the center "bar" was an individually replaceable item - you would only need to order that piece and have it painted to match then swap it in. No?

My guess is that, unless you are a body shop ordering direct from GM for repair purposes (and paying MSRP), you aren't getting most body parts right now because of supply shortages.
Right that’s what I meant, the center bar I guess. It lists for $120 and I paid $90 out the door with shipping and tax
Old 11-06-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Right that’s what I meant, the center bar I guess. It lists for $120 and I paid $90 out the door with shipping and tax
Ah... Gotcha.

Why not just have yours painted? Or, are you trying to be able to return back to stock if desired? If the latter, what about a wrecked '19 or '20 to take the bar out of? You're going to pay to have it painted anyhow...

Just for giggles, I looked to see if there might be any parts on FleaBay.. Not much and pretty spendy. So, buying just the bar would be ideal even if you went used.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ah... Gotcha.

Why not just have yours painted? Or, are you trying to be able to return back to stock if desired? If the latter, what about a wrecked '19 or '20 to take the bar out of? You're going to pay to have it painted anyhow...

Just for giggles, I looked to see if there might be any parts on FleaBay.. Not much and pretty spendy. So, buying just the bar would be ideal even if you went used.
The ‘19s have the open “flowtie” in it. I want the solid bumper cover on the 20/21s. And it’s a brand new car, I just bought it in March of this year. So I don’t want to put someone else’s used part on it lol

I just briefly looked on eBay - lots of people have the complete front end clips miss-labeled for the model years. 2016-18 front clips won’t match the different hood lines on 2019-2021. 2019 is the only year with the open “flowtie” in the bumper cover.
Old 11-06-2020, 06:51 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
The ‘19s have the open “flowtie” in it. I want the solid bumper cover on the 20/21s. And it’s a brand new car, I just bought it in March of this year. So I don’t want to put someone else’s used part on it lol
If you're looking for the solid piece, though, that's also a new part since it was only released about one year ago on the very first '20 cars being sold.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
Dragon08

Drives: 2020 1LE
Hey Petrol, did you also order the headlamp bezels on the ends of the center bar? Its a 3 pc unit you will have to replace to get the 2020 look you are after. I mention it in case you want to return to stock some day.

When you ordered, is it available in the different colors, or do you have to get primed and paint it?

Remember, lots of people thought the split rear window was ugly in 1963, and many folks removed the center bar. LOL I aint saying the 19 is going to be THE gen 6 to have in 40 years, but it will always be unique.

I still own my 2001 Pontiac Aztek. The only model year with the grey cladding all around before they switched to body color. I dont have anybody running up and saying, OH MAN you got the 01! Maybe in 20 more years....
Dragon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #8
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon08 View Post
Hey Petrol, did you also order the headlamp bezels on the ends of the center bar? Its a 3 pc unit you will have to replace to get the 2020 look you are after. I mention it in case you want to return to stock some day.

When you ordered, is it available in the different colors, or do you have to get primed and paint it?

Remember, lots of people thought the split rear window was ugly in 1963, and many folks removed the center bar. LOL I aint saying the 19 is going to be THE gen 6 to have in 40 years, but it will always be unique.

I still own my 2001 Pontiac Aztek. The only model year with the grey cladding all around before they switched to body color. I dont have anybody running up and saying, OH MAN you got the 01! Maybe in 20 more years....
It doesn’t come in a color choice but I’m not sure if it comes primed, black, or just bare plastic.

If you’re referring to the bezels below the headlamps that are black on the 19 and body color on the 20+, I’m just having the body shop paint them with the bumper cover. Physically they’re the same on both model years. I’m not worried about returning it to stock. I just don’t like the “wide mouth” look that the ‘19s have without the body colored bumper cover to break up all the black, and the flow tie just looks out of place. I’m also going to have the body shop install the illuminated gold bow tie in the upper grill while they have the front clip off.

I seriously doubt these cars will ever approach a ‘63 split window Vette lol...... besides, that split was actually structure of the roof that completely altered the car forever if it was cut - there’d be Fiberglas seam points if it were reinstalled. This is just a $70 plastic part and some paint. Completely different type of modification if anyone wanted to put it back to stock.

As for your Aztek, only Walter White would know the difference in model years

Last edited by Petrol Head; 11-07-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #9
Efi69Cam

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2017 Yukon Denali
Most online dealers will cancel orders they cannot ship out within timeframes they have with the credit card companies.
You’ll need to order from a dealer whose willing to order the part for you and charge when it arrives. Pm if you want the contact info of a guy who can help.
Efi69Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi69Cam View Post
Most online dealers will cancel orders they cannot ship out within timeframes they have with the credit card companies.
You’ll need to order from a dealer whose willing to order the part for you and charge when it arrives. Pm if you want the contact info of a guy who can help.
It depends on the terms of the sale in the first place. Generally, credit cards can't be charged until the order is fulfilled. Deposits for Special Order items are usually an exception. Even then, though, the money can't be kept indefinitely. I tried ordering a windscreen for my convertible and the seller called me to discuss because the lead time was going to be excessive. I was given the choice of how to proceed with needing to basically "reconfirm" my order periodically being an option.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #11
Efi69Cam

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2017 Yukon Denali
Quote:
It depends on the terms of the sale in the first place. Generally, credit cards can't be charged until the order is fulfilled. Deposits for Special Order items are usually an exception. Even then, though, the money can't be kept indefinitely. I tried ordering a windscreen for my convertible and the seller called me to discuss because the lead time was going to be excessive. I was given the choice of how to proceed with needing to basically "reconfirm" my order periodically being an option.
This is all true, but when a dealer will back order the part to get your order in the queue without prepayment is the ideal situation.
Efi69Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efi69Cam View Post
This is all true, but when a dealer will back order the part to get your order in the queue without prepayment is the ideal situation.
Yep. Typically takes a good relationship with your dealership for them to do that without charging you MSRP plus fees.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #13
cskipgo

Drives: 2019 2SS A10 Shadow Gray
The delay sounds kind of odd. I have mine being repaired and the 2019 cover came in from GM within 3 days. I had the option of switching to the 2020 cover and they stated it was in stock for GM as well.

I opted to stay 2019, as I personally like the black color for my body color. I just like that it matches my splitter and ground effects, but understand others tastes and wanting it body color.

I don't know the "ins and outs" of bodyshop repair, but the shop which is authorized by GM and services multiple local dealers states that part is listed as "replace, do not paint". Not sure why. I would think the body color ones are painted? Or is it just a color molded plastic?
cskipgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskipgo View Post
The delay sounds kind of odd. I have mine being repaired and the 2019 cover came in from GM within 3 days. I had the option of switching to the 2020 cover and they stated it was in stock for GM as well.

I opted to stay 2019, as I personally like the black color for my body color. I just like that it matches my splitter and ground effects, but understand others tastes and wanting it body color.

I don't know the "ins and outs" of bodyshop repair, but the shop which is authorized by GM and services multiple local dealers states that part is listed as "replace, do not paint". Not sure why. I would think the body color ones are painted? Or is it just a color molded plastic?
The order for yours is coming from a body shop for a necessary repair as opposed to an order from a dealership or reseller "for stock". And it's probably being billed at MSRP and not discounted.