Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-24-2020, 06:11 AM   #85
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
Huh? It's a 30 cent difference here.
It is around 80 cents in my area.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:17 AM   #86
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
Being as honest as possible... Relative to my 21' 2SS:

Pro's:

Engine Performance

Suspension/Chassis

Interior Design - Ergonomic, Driver-Focused Cabin. Physical switches for ease of control (has NOT turned into nothing but a touch display thank god).

Magnetic Ride Control (if equipped) - Being able to change from a soft to firm ride at the push of a button is just awesome.

Exterior Styling - It just looks bad ass!

Front Driver/Passenger seat room. Look, I am 6'6" and I push the limits of being comfortable in most cars, but the Camaro is one of the roomiest cars I have ever driven. Epic amounts of legroom, inches above my head (No sunroof here!) and just a very comfortable cabin overall.

Cons's:

Paint Clearcoat is super, super soft. I've been detailing for 15 years as a side hobby or whatever, and never came across paint as soft as what is on my Camaro. None of my product or pad combinations worked to result in a perfect finish without fine hazing or marring. Thankfully, eventually found Meguair's M210 with a finishing pad does the trick, but man, it finnicky. Easy to do correction on, PITA to finish out properly. Especially on black (again, previous car was black and ZERO issue here).

The ease of rock damage on the panels in front of the rear wheels. Only 1,000 miles on it and it's already getting a bit 'worn' back there from rocks kicking back that way from the front tires.

Terrible, terrible lifting provisions. Absolute must to buy and install lift pads if you do any work on your car yourself. Should have been included from the factory.

Visibility (If not equipped with blind spot, rear cross traffic monitoring, rear view camera, etc...). That was one reason I went for the 2SS for those features and it makes a world of a difference. Is it needed? No. But they are quite significant in the Camaro and should have been included on all trim lines. But even without them, visibility is not near as bad as reviewers and others claim. Those features are just nice in general for overall safety.

Road noise - It's not a luxury car, but the road noise can be a bit much even without the run flats, especially from the rear tires. Wish there was a touch more sound deadening to quiet things down just a bit more.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #87
Z28James

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS; 2020 Bolt
I'm at 1500 miles on my 2020 2SS and I have not really had any cons other than the value for you money. I feel like paying in the 40's for one of these it a bit over priced for having to add lift points, or rock guards...little things like that. Having said that, there are way to may Pro's to list. Plain and simple, it looks good and the engine is great...that's all you need.
Z28James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #88
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
It's crazy how much it varies across the country. 89 is about 30 cents more than 87 here
It has a lot to do with proximity to refineries & ech states excise & sales tax. CA has the highest gas tax in the nation.

Quote:
Starting July 1, California drivers will be paying 50.5 cents per gallon for the gasoline excise tax, up from 47.3 cents per gallon presently. For those who drive a diesel car, the excise tax will jump to 38.5 cents per gallon, up from the current 36 cents. According to the Los Angeles Times, this is the third gas tax increase in the last four years.

When you factor in other state taxes and fees and the federal excise tax of 18.4 cents per gallon, Californians will pay 82.2 cents per gallon in taxes every time they fill up starting July 1. Diesel motorists will pay roughly $1.13 per gallon in government taxes.

According to the American Petroleum Institute, California drivers already paid the highest total gas taxes in the nation, ahead of second-place Pennsylvania at 77.1 cents per gallon. This latest gas tax increase will only solidify a number 1 ranking that no one should be proud of.

But it doesn’t have to be this way. As documented in the new Pacific Research Institute study “Legislating Energy Prosperity,” Californians could save big on their energy bills if lawmakers embraced free-market energy policies. At the same time, the state would continue to make significant progress in lowering emissions.

Reforming or replacing unrealistic energy mandates that are driving up the price of gasoline in California could, over time, save drivers up to $9.6 billion annually based on gas prices in 2019 (a more normal driving scenario) or up to $11 billion based on the sharp drop in gas prices from April 2020.
More at link. https://www.pacificresearch.org/cali...-tax-increase/
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #89
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
I see a lot of knocks on the fuel economy...... just to be clear, it’s a muscle car with a big V8. When you play hard yes it will use gas, this hasn’t changed since 1967. But if you drive easy, always use the highest gear without lugging the engine, and use your cruise control as much as possible, you can easily get well over 20MPG which I think is fantastic.
^^^THIS is TRUTH
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #90
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJangle View Post
^^^THIS is TRUTH
Yep. You have to experiment.

With a direct link in the drive train (clutch) & a torquey motor, & rear gearing, you’d be surprised how high of a gear you can go at low speeds

For a while with my GTO I’d downshift to 4th or 5th when in town (30mph) & mileage indicator would say high teens to low 20’s. One day I decided to try 6th. At that speed & gearing it would idle (700rpm) through town with my foot off the gas completely & show low 30’s. It had enough torque at idle to just pull along & not drop speed. All I had to do was steer it.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #91
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Yep. You have to experiment.

With a direct link in the drive train (clutch) & a torquey motor, & rear gearing, you’d be surprised how high of a gear you can go at low speeds

For a while with my GTO I’d downshift to 4th or 5th when in town (30mph) & mileage indicator would say high teens to low 20’s. One day I decided to try 6th. At that speed & gearing it would idle (700rpm) through town with my foot off the gas completely & show low 30’s. It had enough torque at idle to just pull along & not drop speed. All I had to do was steer it.
At 40 mph in 6th it does lug just a tad bit - I tried it once and put it back into 5th after about 20 seconds. It hovers just below 1k and you could feel ever so slightly a bit of bogging. Just wasn't comfortable with it. I think you really should be above 45 to put it into 6th, at least with the SS.

My V6 6 speed Honda Accord OTOH, you can drive around all over in 6th. But then again it's at 1600 RPM in 6th at 40
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #92
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
At 40 mph in 6th it does lug just a tad bit - I tried it once and put it back into 5th after about 20 seconds. It hovers just below 1k and you could feel ever so slightly a bit of bogging. Just wasn't comfortable with it. I think you really should be above 45 to put it into 6th, at least with the SS.

My V6 6 speed Honda Accord OTOH, you can drive around all over in 6th. But then again it's at 1600 RPM in 6th at 40
Interesting.

As OP’s brother is looking at an A10 it’s an entirely different deal. I’m in 6th or 7th at 35-40mph not in manual mode IIRC. It doesn’t say, but I’ve slapped the shifter over to manual to see what gear it says a few times & I think that’s what it says.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #93
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar View Post
I bet it has. I hope everything is well!
It’s been a few years of dealing with it. Dozens of appointments, 3 surgeries, but so far follow-up tests have been negative. Now she is on the every 5yr testing schedule. Chemo really hit her hard as far as energy level goes.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:21 PM   #94
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:

Yeah, I wouldn't lug the engine like that. The C7 Owner's Manual specifically had a warning against lugging the engine in the 7-speed, and we have the same engine as the C7.

Quote:
If the engine speed drops below
900 rpm, or if the engine is not
running smoothly, downshift to the
next lower gear. It may be necessary to downshift two or more
gears.
With Camaro's heavier weight, I personally keeps mine above 1200 RPM when cruising. And yep, I don't use the 6th gear until 80 km/h or 50 MPH.

Without boost, LT4 makes the same torque as LT1 when idling, I'd imagine. Maybe even a little less with the lower compression ratio.

V6 Accord M6 has a very short 6th gear ratio, for some reason. I had an A5 and it can cruise on the highway at a lower RPM than the M6 with only 3 or 4 cylinders running. I wish more cars copy the pony car gearing logic: agressive first 5 gears, and have the 6th dedicated for highway cruising.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #95
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Interesting.

As OP’s brother is looking at an A10 it’s an entirely different deal. I’m in 6th or 7th at 35-40mph not in manual mode IIRC. It doesn’t say, but I’ve slapped the shifter over to manual to see what gear it says a few times & I think that’s what it says.
You have more gears at your disposal. With the manual, I think to eek out as much fuel economy as they can get they made 6th gear pretty tall.

Would love the 7 speed out of the Corvette, but I've read it doesn't fit into the Alpha chassis or else they would have used it.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #96
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Would love the 7 speed out of the Corvette, but I've read it doesn't fit into the Alpha chassis or else they would have used it.
Having owned a C7 (briefly), I can tell you right now that you don't want the M7 in the C7.

From a driving perspective, it's just not nearly as good to shift as the M6 in the Camaro. The left-to-right distance between gears are too short and it's easier to get into the wrong gear when you downshift a few gears.

Just ask anyone who has driven both a C7 M7 and a 6th Gen Camaro M6. I bet 99% of them will tell you that the M6 feels better. The fuel economy saving with the 7th gear is just not worth it, IMO.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #97
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I added these two bins to help with storage space. Passenger side holds my sunglasses. Driver side holds my wallet and mini hand sanitizer container when not in my pocket.

The magnetic mount keeps my phone out of the cup holders so both driver and passenger can have a place for drinks.

Inside the center console is the other end of the usb cable for Android Auto (plugged in) and a mini USB drive (also plugged in) with my tunes on it. Also, I stuffed in a few paper napkins and extra charging cable with a wall outlet ac plug as a backup in case I'm away from home with low battery and don't want to have to sit in the car while charging.

Works great! Plenty of storage space now.

Where did you get the 2 bins. Doesn't rub your leg when sitting?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:01 AM   #98
Cedar

Drives: 2017 Z06 Corvette
Quote:
It’s been a few years of dealing with it. Dozens of appointments, 3 surgeries, but so far follow-up tests have been negative. Now she is on the every 5yr testing schedule. Chemo really hit her hard as far as energy level goes.
Chemo is really tough on a person. I'm beginning year two. I'm not what I was before and will never be that way again.
Cedar is offline   Reply With Quote