Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #7631
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
That said - there is nothing surprising here. The base GT500 has already been quicker than the mid engine Corvette Z51 on ONE other track with same driver as well, so it can be said they run similar times. That said, the CFTP is significantly quicker than the base GT500 around a track.
Edited - because it's only been faster at VIR - one of the fastest tracks anywhere with the 2 longest straights in North America on a single track...advantage --> HP.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #7632
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
You conveniently forgot to mention the 1LE part of the ZL1, instead, just said "the ZL1". The 3R tires on the ZLE are just as sticky if not stickier than Cup 2s, which the GT500 was NOT on. It was on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires as this was the base GT500 with the handling package.

See how you folks conveniently not mention certain facts when it's beneficial to you? Both sides do it, so spare me.

And as far as the SLE w/ Cup 2s being slightly quicker - different tire, different day. Plus, as they've said it's a tight track, so the lighter car is going to have a built in advantage.

That said - there is nothing surprising here. The base GT500 has already been quicker than the mid engine Corvette Z51 on other tracks with same driver as well, so it can be said they run similar times. That said, the CFTP is significantly quicker than the base GT500 around a track.
All fair points and agreed on the tight track. Some tracks favor less HP and being agile, others favor the huge HP.

My issue with the GT500 w/ the Carbon package and most likely ADM is over the top $$$. With both of those factors coming into play, you are likely in upcoming C8 Z06 & Porsche GT4 cost territory. I would choose either of those over the Carbon GT500.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #7633
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Edited - because it's only been faster at VIR - one of the fastest tracks anywhere with the 2 longest straights in North America on a single track...advantage --> HP.
Well, there’s this....

https://youtu.be/OxWYRFGSVmw

Speed Phenom driving his C8 and GT500 same day at Laguna Seca. Not quite VIR, but it appears to have more long straights than Willow Springs.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #7634
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
AFAIK, the C8 can be raced at timed events with warranty intact and the GT500 can't. If that is true it is a MAJOR bonus for the C8, to be able to have a capable race car back by warranty to my mind is worth $5K a year... minimally. Not to mention I can get the C8 using my GM credit car points and very little Shelby cars ever sell for MSRP.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 07-16-2020 at 08:18 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #7635
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Quote:
The straights there are longer than Road America? Wouldn't have guessed that.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:28 AM   #7636
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Good episode and somewhat to be expected imo.

Here's a picture (pictures since I can't orient it correctly) of the lap times from last season at their track and this test, oooff. It would be nice if they were able to run a CFTP gt500 and an a10 zl1 1le for reference.

I would love to see the lap times of the base Camaro ZL1, the Camaro SS1LE & the Shelby GT350 all of them on summer tires to see how do they compare with the base Shelby GT500 and the Corvette C8 Z51 also riding on summer tires.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:41 AM   #7637
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Hopefully Ford provides the GT500 at the Motor Trend BDC event this year and doesn't chicken out
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:32 AM   #7638
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
You conveniently forgot to mention the 1LE part of the ZL1, instead, just said "the ZL1". The 3R tires on the ZLE are just as sticky if not stickier than Cup 2s, which the GT500 was NOT on. It was on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires as this was the base GT500 with the handling package.

See how you folks conveniently not mention certain facts when it's beneficial to you? Both sides do it, so spare me.

And as far as the SLE w/ Cup 2s being slightly quicker - different tire, different day. Plus, as they've said it's a tight track, so the lighter car is going to have a built in advantage.

That said - there is nothing surprising here. The base GT500 has already been quicker than the mid engine Corvette Z51 on other tracks with same driver as well, so it can be said they run similar times. That said, the CFTP is significantly quicker than the base GT500 around a track.
Don't say "you folks" when one person did that, not to mention you constantly do this all the time.

Also the ss 1le not being on OEM tires were mentioned, it was mentioned that I would like to see it on OEM tires.

No crap these are different days, most of their lap times are from different days.

You unsurprisingly came to white knight for the gt500. Everyone already knew it couldn't beat a zl1 1le, that's not news, but it's still a bad look to go slower than the much cheaper and weaker ss 1le on cup twos or a good look for the ss 1le, depending on how you want to look at it. Also just an fyi but not too many people would vouch on the
3R's being stickier than cup 2's.

Yes the c8 and gt500 are comparable, in a longer track with more straight aways the gt500s 760hp gives it an advantage, and in a tighter course like this the c8s better handling and lighter weight works to its advantage.

But what other track(s) has the gt500 been quicker at aside from VIR Full? I'll wait.

Ofcourse the cftp is quicker than the base gt500, everyone also knows that, jeez try not to get an aneurism bud. I can only imagine you furiously typing all of that lol.

I'm sure you didn't want anyone to post that time chart but you knew it was going to happen in a thread like this. Hey there's still hope that they test a cftp and it posts the quickest time so that you can come on here afterwards and post how it's the king lol.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 07-18-2020 at 10:37 AM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:34 AM   #7639
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Haha this, but yet he's accusing us folks of typing convenient misleading things because one poster forgot to type 1le after zl1 even though it was clearly described in the time chart/leader board being discussed.

If we count Speed Phenom running these cars, c8 has been faster at Willow Springs and Laguna Seca as well.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 07-18-2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #7640
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
I would love to see the lap times of the base Camaro ZL1, the Camaro SS1LE & the Shelby GT350 all of them on summer tires to see how do they compare with the base Shelby GT500 and the Corvette C8 Z51 also riding on summer tires.
Same, they tested a gt350 a while ago but not at this track. Maybe when the mach 1 comes out and the a10 ss 1le next year we'll get to see that and the ss 1le on OEM tires. I know the cup 2s should be faster, but if you listen to the guys who track their cars on the 1le sun section it shouldn't be a world of difference.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:46 AM   #7641
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Well, there’s this....

https://youtu.be/OxWYRFGSVmw

Speed Phenom driving his C8 and GT500 same day at Laguna Seca. Not quite VIR, but it appears to have more long straights than Willow Springs.
Don't forget this one Martin, at Willow Spring IR. Same day and driver, but it is Speed Phenom that while good isn't a professional.

https://youtu.be/ykzNv_z6GHY
Old 07-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #7642
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Don't say "you folks" when one person did that, not to mention you constantly do this all the time.

Also the ss 1le not being on OEM tires were mentioned, it was mentioned that I would like to see it on OEM tires.

No crap these are different days, most of their lap times are from different days.

You unsurprisingly came to white knight for the gt500. Everyone already knew it couldn't beat a zl1 1le, that's not news, but it's still a bad look to go slower than the much cheaper and weaker ss 1le on cup twos or a good look for the ss 1le, depending on how you want to look at it. Also just an fyi but not too many people would vouch on the
3R's being stickier than cup 2's

Yes the c8 and gt500 are comparable, in a longer track with more straight aways the gt500s 760hp gives it an advantage, and in a tighter course like this the c8s better handling and lighter weight works to its advantage.

But what other track(s) has the gt500 been quicker at aside from VIR Full? I'll wait.

Ofcourse the cftp is quicker than the base gt500, everyone also knows that, jeez try not to get an aneurism bud. I can only imagine you furiously typing all of that lol.

I'm sure you didn't want anyone to post that time chart but you knew it was going to happen in a thread like this. Hey there's still hope that they test a cftp and it posts the quickest time so that you can come on here afterwards and post how it's the king lol.
Quote:
Same, they tested a gt350 a while ago but not at this track. Maybe when the mach 1 comes out and the a10 ss 1le next year we'll get to see that and the ss 1le on OEM tires. I know the cup 2s should be faster, but if you listen to the guys who track their cars on the 1le sun section it shouldn't be a world of difference.
Agree with almost everything, but the G3Rs are definitely a level above the Cup 2s. They are barely off a Hoosier slick pace and just like you say in the second quote the Cup 2s are just a little better than the regular G3s.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #7643
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Agree with almost everything, but the G3Rs are definitely a level above the Cup 2s. They are barely off a Hoosier slick pace and just like you say in the second quote the Cup 2s are just a little better than the regular G3s.
You might be right, I have no first hand experience comparing the two. Just everything I see and hear usually points to the cup 2 being the better tire, could be others assumptions though.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #7644
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
You might be right, I have no first hand experience comparing the two. Just everything I see and hear usually points to the cup 2 being the better tire, could be others assumptions though.
I think that's just because the SC3Rs only come on the ZLE. Everyone else uses the Cup2.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote