Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 07-14-2020, 09:41 PM   #211
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I think the reason Ford people are mad about the Mach 1 is there was lots of rumors before the reveal of 500HP and I mean a lot of rumors and then to find out its a carry over Bullitt engine let a lot of people down.
For sure. If it would have been a 500 hp 5.2 cross plane a lot of people would accept it as the gt350 heir and not think of it as a pp2 or bullet with bandaids.... funny thing was that there was a leak saying it would be the bullit engine for a long time before release so idk why so many were surprised.

I can see why the aftermarket street racing crowd doesn't like it, its essentially the same as a gt 5.0, the 3160 tremec is nicer than the mt82 but not any stronger as far as handling power (arguably much weaker), all the aero/coolers add weight and don't help for roll racing, and a tuned a10 gt will probably be faster than a tuned a10 mach 1. All for a lot more money, and the mustang community is heavily tied to that street mod scene. However as a stock car it's clearly better than any GT.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #212
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
AFAIK the Z28 came with a warranty at a competitive race event(s) and the GT500 does not. That is a whole lot of money and engineering to back something like that up.
True, but still overpriced imo. Especially in retrospect.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #213
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
Yea but if its priced right, why shouldn't they.

I personally think the mach 1 is exciting and a good option but it's not just the gm crowd criticizing it, a lot of Ford fanboys are too. Probably just had unrealistic expectations as far as the engine and disappointed at the price point, but ultimate a better parts bin car is a win imo.

I think a 6th gen z28 shouldn't and wouldn't have to go the 5th gen z28 route. Doesn't need it's own engine, also the alpha doesn't need the extra chassis massaging the zeta did to hit the mark, just make it an NA zl1 1le and price it correctly. Also shouldn't be like the 4th gen ss vs z28 though lol.
I, for one, am not criticizing it. I think it is the most properly put together non-Shelby Mustang on the S550 platform (as far as I can tell, so far, obviously we need more data). The only thing I think that may screw this up is pricing and ADMs. If it is priced right, this is the non-Shelby to buy.

I think that the Mustang crowd is a bit upset because some believed the fake news about extra HP. That's on them.

Now as far as a Z/28(or Z28): the extension of the the Gen6 program makes a Z/28 possible. IF the Z06 comes with the rumored 5.5L N/A FPC engine that may be a candidate for the Z/28 engine (if it fits, obviously). The Z06 could be a 2022 model year, which would mean there COULD be a Z/28 with that same engine in 2023. If there was no Gen6 program extension, there would be no Gen6 Z/28. Again, those are a lot of if's, and obviously, pricing has to be right as well...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #214
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I, for one, am not criticizing it. I think it is the most properly put together non-Shelby Mustang on the S550 platform (as far as I can tell, so far, obviously we need more data). The only thing I think that may screw this up is pricing and ADMs. If it is priced right, this is the non-Shelby to buy.

I think that the Mustang crowd is a bit upset because some believed the fake news about extra HP. That's on them.

Now as far as a Z/28(or Z28): the extension of the the Gen6 program makes a Z/28 possible. IF the Z06 comes with the rumored 5.5L N/A FPC engine that may be a candidate for the Z/28 engine (if it fits, obviously). The Z06 could be a 2022 model year, which would mean there COULD be a Z/28 with that same engine in 2023. If there was no Gen6 program extension, there would be no Gen6 Z/28. Again, those are a lot of if's, and obviously, pricing has to be right as well...
I would rather have a traditional GM small block but any version of a z28 would be cool if the performance is there. My concern with a 5.5 from the Corvette would be price and the fact that the camaro would probably not warrant the R&D to mate a transmission other than the c8s dct. If it didn't come with an m6 I would have zero interest in the car, and I believe that high reving engine's powerband will be more suited to an aggressively geared high speed auot/dct. I would personally prefer the original rumour of a hot rodded version of the 6.6 to be like an LT successor to the ls7, but that ship has already sailed.

Of course this is mostly fantasy land talk, but a boy can dream lol.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #215
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
They should have just called the ZL1 1LE a Z28 and been done with it
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #216
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
There would be an uproar of buthurtness if it wasn't NA... at this point I'll take them sticking an lt5 in a zl1 and calling it a z28.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #217
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
I call it a Z28.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #218
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
There would be an uproar of buthurtness if it wasn't NA... at this point I'll take them sticking an lt5 in a zl1 and calling it a z28.
If they stick an LT5 in a Gen6 Camaro, I don't care what they call it.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #219
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
If said people criticizing the gt500's price were defending the z28's price that statement would be a lot more warranted, but usually you see people heavily criticize the z28s price.
Agree on the price however when released the Z/28 was more car for the dollar than either of the current GT500s. LS7 motor, DSSV, carbon brakes, and sub 7:38 second Nurburgring lap on very wet sections of track. Which was faster than the following cars (tested on a dry track) Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, Ferrari 430 Scuderia, and Lexus LFA. Pretty damn impressive in my mind. Current GT500s are a fail when compared to their competition at anything but going fast in a straight line. I can see why Frod won't officially run these at the ring given their propensity for the tires to go off after a lap or two. The ring would really expose the GT500s chassis and weight issues. Don't believe it? Well, Gen 5 Z/28 ran a better Ring lap (again with wet sections) than 662HP 2013 Shelby GT500 on a dry track. Same Frod recipe as today's GT500s... big HP and compromised chasis, sometings never change do they?
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:39 PM   #220
LESS1

Quote:
I think a 6th gen z28 shouldn't and wouldn't have to go the 5th gen z28 route. Doesn't need it's own engine, also the alpha doesn't need the extra chassis massaging the zeta did to hit the mark, just make it an NA zl1 1le and price it correctly. Also shouldn't be like the 4th gen ss vs z28 though lol.
Agree. Bump power to LT2 levels and as you mentioned. Offer with either all the standard options or as a stripper track version with ZLE brakes, suspension, wheels and tires and job done. Personally I'd line up for the stripper version in manual form and beat the heck out of it on track and never stop smiling. Just another example of a "parts bin car" that the competition couldn't match.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #221
LESS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
AFAIK the Z28 came with a warranty at a competitive race event(s) and the GT500 does not. That is a whole lot of money and engineering to back something like that up.
This.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #222
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Yeah just like the C7Z06 original butthurt and it still sold. Perhaps the ZLE would sell better if it was called a Z28 too???
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #223
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
Agree. Bump power to LT2 levels and as you mentioned. Offer with either all the standard options or as a stripper track version with ZLE brakes, suspension, wheels and tires and job done. Personally I'd line up for the stripper version in manual form and beat the heck out of it on track and never stop smiling. Just another example of a "parts bin car" that the competition couldn't match.
I think something close could be made, as long as the design / package guys don't go crazy with bells and whistles. NA powered ZLE, rear seat delete, I'd mount a donut spare back there (remove on track days), so don't have to worry about run flats, If a LT3 engine would be designed for it, the engine would have to be used in other "lesser" Camaros to justify the design cost. I can see at the very least a intake maifold / TB change just like the LS1 got the better exhaust manifolds and intake mid production. Say 15 HP. They would need to go with cam and new high flow cats IMO for +30 HP.

I honestly would like to see a 1/4 mile version of the LT3, with some weight savings, 100 wear DR either Nitto or Nexen, auto with transbrake, GM performance shafts, I'd like the gen 5 "grave digger" diff.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #224
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Yeah just like the C7Z06 original butthurt and it still sold. Perhaps the ZLE would sell better if it was called a Z28 too???
This is true. Just like the uproar about the c8 being auto only from a vette community that barely bought manuals during the c7 era anyways.

Z28 does sound a lot easier to digest than zl1 1le lol