Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-09-2020, 12:07 PM   #7589
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
the Camaro has lots of room and can easily take a better LT2 style header (probably would need to go Tri-Y becuase of collector thickness, but maybe not). The LT2 cat is NOT close to the head BTW, and a LT2 style intake manifold could be fitted. Bigger TB, larger airbox.
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020...e-c8-corvette/
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t2-engine.html

Note I did say "style" as in design parameter, I am not saying LT2 parts fit on the LT1. I am saying there is a reasonable amount of room. Is it worth the engineering cost? Maybe. The LT2 header is worth 5 HP over the cast iron manifold that looks pretty bad in comparison. Most of the HP gain IMO is the exit at the head is nice and smooth and tapered. The second area is the collector looks to be very smooth on transition, the third is the length of the tubes. All of this can be accommodated on the LT1 in the 6th gen, I would say the collector would be the tightest, and Chevy would do a Tri-Y just because of this.
Looking at the pics, I'd say much of the LT2 performace comes form the two HUGE cats:
Here is a link to the reference to the Cats I was talking about:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...nalysis-specs/

From the article: "The catalytic converters are closer to the exhaust ports, helping to reduce cold-start emissions. The new catalysts allowed Chevy to increase exhaust valve lift by 1mm and duration by 18 degrees, for more exhaust flow."

The Camaro's version of the LT1 already has Try-Y headers. Only the Covette has the manifold. And you will note that the Corvette has 5-10 more HP in it's version of the LT1, so the manifold may be better than the try-y's.

BUT, I agree with your premise that small improvements in intake/exhaust, can boost output enough to justify an LT3. And I think with the Gen6 Camaro getting extended, and LT3 for Camaro would be a good possibility. But, Camaro won't get an LT2, and the LT3 (if it comes) will probably have a little less output than the LT2, but more than the LT1. 480 sounds right, and sounds great to me...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #7590
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Isn't the LT4 going into the CT5 Blackwing?

but a LT4 SUV or Silverado would be amazing
That's the rumor right now...
Old 07-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #7591
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post

From the article: "The catalytic converters are closer to the exhaust ports, helping to reduce cold-start emissions. The new catalysts allowed Chevy to increase exhaust valve lift by 1mm and duration by 18 degrees, for more exhaust flow."

The Camaro's version of the LT1 already has Try-Y headers. Only the Covette has the manifold. And you will note that the Corvette has 5-10 more HP in it's version of the LT1, so the manifold may be better than the try-y's.

BUT, I agree with your premise that small improvements in intake/exhaust, can boost output enough to justify an LT3. And I think with the Gen6 Camaro getting extended, and LT3 for Camaro would be a good possibility. But, Camaro won't get an LT2, and the LT3 (if it comes) will probably have a little less output than the LT2, but more than the LT1. 480 sounds right, and sounds great to me...
480 is not enough, the mustang bullitt is 480, the new mach 1 is going to be 480, the challenger 392 is 485, chevy camaro needs to stop being the underdog and go at least 490, 5 less than the 495 horse LT2 corvette.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #7592
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:

I don't own a C7, but my calibrated eyeball tells me the 1st cat on my Camaro is much closer to the exhaust port vs the C8.

Here is the C7 cat, it is hard bolted to a short runner manifold, so nope ain't buying the article. No surprise there.
Attached Images

Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #7593
oldman

Quote:
highly doubtful., the bottle neck on the Camaro is the 4 cats, mostly the primary cat on driver's side. The C7 has a much nicer cat based down pipe (apparently), as I never measured one up.

Quote:

would agree, GM needs to go with cam in a cam for 535 HP....
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #7594
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
highly doubtful., the bottle neck on the Camaro is the 4 cats, mostly the primary cat on driver's side. The C7 has a much nicer cat based down pipe (apparently), as I never measured one up.
As for the Camaro, I agree about the cats being the bottleneck, but the fact that there are four instead of two is because two big ones wont fit close enough to the manifold, hence the four cat setup. The two downstream cats won't heat up nearly as quick, so that effects their ability to become effective quickly in a cold start situation.

And, I never saw the 'vette cats, thanks for posting the picture. Looks like it is also a bit of a bottle neck, especially compared to the LT2. The more efficient the cats are isn't just for exhaust throughput though, the faster they heat up, the better cold start emissions are, and the more aggressive a cam you can run, which in turn gives you better performance. Of course, you need the right size plumbing to handle the bigger exhaust lobes on the cam, which Chevy did with the LT2 as well.

Quote:
would agree, GM needs to go with cam in a cam for 535 HP....
The 376 535 is what you get when you optimize the LT1 without emissions concerns. But that is why it is a racing only application, and are not street legal. The trick is, to somehow handle emissions so efficiently, that you can get as close to the 535 as possible.

Oh yeah, and speaking of Chevy crate engines, have you seen the LS427/570?

This is the first image Chevy released for the Gen6 Camaro, and it is the picture of it's tri-y header.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #7595
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Sorry, my bad, I meant to say "Develop a Camaro only engine" instead of "Make a Camaro only engine".

Does this mean that there is another refresh coming, or do you anticipate this on a new platform?

Would LOVE an LT4 in an SUV! Fun stuff!
This doesn't prove or disprove a next platform. The changes from LT1 to what I'm calling LT3 would not affect packaging at all. Block and head internals.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #7596
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
I don't own a C7, but my calibrated eyeball tells me the 1st cat on my Camaro is much closer to the exhaust port vs the C8.

Here is the C7 cat, it is hard bolted to a short runner manifold, so nope ain't buying the article. No surprise there.
Actually, the article does make sense if you look at it from the perspective of the LT1 being an engine developed for Corvette, adapted for use in Camaro. Just like the supercharger for ZL1 was sized to fit under the Z06 hood, even though a larger supercharger could easily fit under the ZL1 hood. LT1 was developed based on Corvette geography. LT3 wouldn’t have to live with that restriction.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 07-09-2020, 03:21 PM   #7597
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Isn't the LT4 going into the CT5 Blackwing?

but a LT4 SUV or Silverado would be amazing
True, the CT5 Blackwing will be LT4. But it isn’t here yet, so LT4 is still a Camaro only engine until CT5 BW and Escalade BW.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #7598
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
LT3 wouldn’t have to live with that restriction.
yep,

Now to the 4 cats vs 2 cats. I'm 1000% sure an oval cat would easily fit in the Camaro and yield all the flow needed. But yeah the LT2 cats are HUGE and round and HUGE and straight and round and did I mention HUGE.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:05 PM   #7599
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
yep,

Now to the 4 cats vs 2 cats. I'm 1000% sure an oval cat would easily fit in the Camaro and yield all the flow needed. But yeah the LT2 cats are HUGE and round and HUGE and straight and round and did I mention HUGE.
You're spot on homie. The face of the c8 cat is 6" and even though its an 800 cell unit, the 300 cell 4" face hi flows netted a minimal gain in comparison. Hats off to GM for such a free flowing unit.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 PM   #7600
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
I'm thinking there will be an LT1 or LT4 or both as options in the upcoming ZRX Silverado. LT1 to fight the raptor. LT4 to fight the TRX.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:43 PM   #7601
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Actually, the article does make sense if you look at it from the perspective of the LT1 being an engine developed for Corvette, adapted for use in Camaro. Just like the supercharger for ZL1 was sized to fit under the Z06 hood, even though a larger supercharger could easily fit under the ZL1 hood. LT1 was developed based on Corvette geography. LT3 wouldn’t have to live with that restriction.
Damn you Martin. This is good news but throws a monkey wrench in my plans lol. Mod my current ss 1le or wait for the "lt3" and enjoy its modest but nice power bump.

480 isn't all that much but it's enough to garner my attention. Only caviot being that I assume it'll be hard to mod for some time if it has one of those tricky new ecu's.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 PM   #7602
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Why stop at 480 tho? GM has shown that they're not above giving the Camaro every bit of power that the Vette has. They would have to actually spend resources turning it back. It would be stupid. Just send it. Throw all 490 at it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote