Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
Justice

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Should I give up

Hey everyone. I've grown extremely frustrated with my 16 SS and am thinking about throwing in the towel. I don't really trust the car or feel like it's worth keeping once it's paid off with all of the issues I've had with it. I feel like it will be a huge money sink once out of warranty.

List of issues:

* Transmission oil cooler line recall

* A8 Shudder- Still dealing with this. Just got the NEW NEW fluid put in at the dealer

* Rear-end groan when cold outside

* Rear Axle shaft broke and left me stranded in traffic. Yay!

* Came out to a completely dead car twice. No lights left on, just dead.

* Broke down in traffic about two weeks ago. Car ran fine on my way to work. I leave work and the car is running very bad: hesitating and while sitting still acting like it wanted to turn off. Tried to get to the dealer but it completely broke down in traffic...yay! Dealer said it was some type of computer issue (not covered, had to pay). Supposedly the car thought it was running too rich and it was trying to lean itself out and it was starving the car of fuel.

So after a few years and only 37k miles on my car I'm honestly feeling like I should get rid of it. I love it when it works, but I just feel like I have a problem car on my hands. I'm close to paying it off and really don't want to start over, but I don't know if it's worth keeping. Am I over exaggerating or should I let it go?
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
Hey everyone. I've grown extremely frustrated with my 16 SS and am thinking about throwing in the towel. I don't really trust the car or feel like it's worth keeping once it's paid off with all of the issues I've had with it. I feel like it will be a huge money sink once out of warranty.

List of issues:

* Transmission oil cooler line recall

* A8 Shudder- Still dealing with this. Just got the NEW NEW fluid put in at the dealer

* Rear-end groan when cold outside

* Rear Axle shaft broke and left me stranded in traffic. Yay!

* Came out to a completely dead car twice. No lights left on, just dead.

* Broke down in traffic about two weeks ago. Car ran fine on my way to work. I leave work and the car is running very bad: hesitating and while sitting still acting like it wanted to turn off. Tried to get to the dealer but it completely broke down in traffic...yay! Dealer said it was some type of computer issue (not covered, had to pay). Supposedly the car thought it was running too rich and it was trying to lean itself out and it was starving the car of fuel.

So after a few years and only 37k miles on my car I'm honestly feeling like I should get rid of it. I love it when it works, but I just feel like I have a problem car on my hands. I'm close to paying it off and really don't want to start over, but I don't know if it's worth keeping. Am I over exaggerating or should I let it go?
I’m sorry that’s happening to you. I say it depends on you’re financial situation man. I wonder if you’re battery is just a bad battery? I’m not a mechanic.

I get where you’re coming from, I had a 2012 Cruze before my camaro which I thought about keeping longer although, I had:
Transmission rereprogramming.
2 Airbag system replacements.
ABS system failure.
Overheating issues.
Water pump failure.
Water pump line leaks.
Heat smelled like electrical burning.
Heat came on randomly.
Oil leaking. Head gasket.
Coolant leaking.
Rear view mirror corroding.
I think that’s it.
The car was at 66,000 miles when I got rid of it. I had to deal with all that but I saved up enough to pay off the amount I owed compared what the car was worth to get out underneath it. Then I got a decent deal on a camaro and I jumped ship.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
swap it out for a m6 car or a10 car lol but damn that shit sucks man

my camaro has been fine other than dead battery and broken strut which wasnt gm fault

my 17 cruze lt had a blown motor before 30k lol that was fun but they replaced motor and i got a nice new malibu for rental car so not too bad
Old 02-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
I had 4 of these issues plus 2 others which is why GM bought my car back.
Now I wait to get an A10 ss hopefully haha I’ll wait for a year and see how it’s doing by then.
Good luck OP with this, it’s a tough situation
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:47 PM   #5
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
swap it out for a m6 car or a10 car lol but damn that shit sucks man

my camaro has been fine other than dead battery and broken strut which wasnt gm fault

my 17 cruze lt had a blown motor before 30k lol that was fun but they replaced motor and i got a nice new malibu for rental car so not too bad
I came to the conclusion that no american company can make a regular car that lasts lol. Chevy or Ford cant make regular passenger cars that last. They can make sports cars and trucks though.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Justice

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to start the buy back process and see how all of that plays out. Oh and I forgot to mention that now I'm dealing with the "Service Break Assist" issue. That just started this week. Good times, lol.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #7
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
that sucks bro. i have had some of the same issues like the a8 shutter and flushing, rear end groan (sounds more like something rubbing), and I had to have my npp mufflers swapped because they rattled so bad

i like the car, but if it left me stranded its going to the auction block lol

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC

Last edited by speedup; 02-25-2019 at 08:55 AM.
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote