Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #43
kgf

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
E85/FAN question

I installed the DMS kit per the writeup and it was a breeze. I think I followed every step exactly and the tune went on without a hitch. Thanks so much for the writeup.

I have put about 600 miles on the car without any real issues. E85 ethanol percentage in my area is about 80%. I really enjoy paying around $1.85 a gallon for E85 instead of $2.85 a gallon for premium. Was getting around 23 mpg avg on premium. Getting around 20 mpg avg on E85. Saving around $15 a tank overall factoring in the cost of E85 and the mpg reduction. Another bonus is not having any black smoke on WOT and exhaust pipes don't have any black soot on them. It was almost worth the whole conversion to lose the black smoke. Power gain is already noticeable. Next steps will be a JRE tune after a wideband installation.

I have only had one issue and it maybe totally unrelated to the E85 kit. I have had 2 occurrences where the car fans stuck on high and temperature went to minimum on the gauge. Both occurrences happened on cool mornings going to work on a 30 mile commute at about 20 miles in on both occasions. Fan stayed on after shutting the car off and had to unhook the battery to get the fans to shut off. Temperature gauge came right back to normal after hooking battery back up and starting the car.

Would there be anyway that the E85 kit could have caused this? Did I miss something?

Searching online, possible causes are thermostat and temperature sensor. Maybe just a weird coincidence that started after E85 tune. Probably just coincidence. Will probably try a new temp sensor first.

Any insight would be appreciated.
kgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:33 PM   #44
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
93 in ny is $3.49 E85 $2.79 i hate ny
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #45
kgf

Fan issue happened again this morning. Almost the same mile as the previous 2 issues. Always 20 miles into the commute on a cool morning and the temp gauge on the dash bottoms out and A/C stops cooling and the cooling fans go to high and fans won't shut off until I unhooked the battery.

This morning I opened up my OBD app and it showed 169 degree. Wasn't changing. May have been the last value read before the gauge on the dash bottomed out.

I have a new temperature sensor coming. Will install this weekend and see if that helps.

Has anyone noticed this issue as it related to an E85 tune? If it was a temp sensor, I would think it would happen at other times. Strange that it only happens on mornings at 20 miles into a 30 mile commute. 3 times out of a month of commuting.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #46
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgf View Post
Fan issue happened again this morning. Almost the same mile as the previous 2 issues. Always 20 miles into the commute on a cool morning and the temp gauge on the dash bottoms out and A/C stops cooling and the cooling fans go to high and fans won't shut off until I unhooked the battery.

This morning I opened up my OBD app and it showed 169 degree. Wasn't changing. May have been the last value read before the gauge on the dash bottomed out.

I have a new temperature sensor coming. Will install this weekend and see if that helps.

Has anyone noticed this issue as it related to an E85 tune? If it was a temp sensor, I would think it would happen at other times. Strange that it only happens on mornings at 20 miles into a 30 mile commute. 3 times out of a month of commuting.
Fan comes on when ever there is a DTC find the DTC, diagnose and repair it.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #47
kgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Fan comes on when ever there is a DTC find the DTC, diagnose and repair it.
I guess the DTC codes clear after pulling battery cables. No DTC codes currently.

Will read the DTC next time it happens.

Thank you
Old 08-22-2019, 07:13 AM   #48
kgf

Well it finally happened again. Almost the same mile marker as the previous 3 times separated by a couple of weeks each time. Cool morning on my commute.

DTC code is a P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

I cleared the code and the temp gauge went to normal and fans went off.

I will install new coolant sensor and check for any wire issues. If that doesn't resolve, I guess I will replace the thermostat.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:24 AM   #49
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgf View Post
Well it finally happened again. Almost the same mile marker as the previous 3 times separated by a couple of weeks each time. Cool morning on my commute.

DTC code is a P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

I cleared the code and the temp gauge went to normal and fans went off.

I will install new coolant sensor and check for any wire issues. If that doesn't resolve, I guess I will replace the thermostat.
I would say the thermostat is way more likely to stick open than the coolant sensor failing. The thermostat is under a 20 min job. It’s easy. If you’re up for it the Katech 174* thermostat wouldn’t be a bad idea too. Def way more pricey than the stock $10 unit tho
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #50
kgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I would say the thermostat is way more likely to stick open than the coolant sensor failing. The thermostat is under a 20 min job. It’s easy. If you’re up for it the Katech 174* thermostat wouldn’t be a bad idea too. Def way more pricey than the stock $10 unit tho
Thanks, already have the sensor. Will order a thermostat and knock them both out.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:14 PM   #51
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
I had the DMS sensor on my Silverado and loved it...easy install too.
However, I see there's one on Gen5DIY, which is not as expensive, but the connection is slightly different.

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the two other than the installation & price?
Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 PM   #52
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
thats it just the install and price. id go with the Gen5DIY kit or buy it from leathalgarage https://www.lethalgarage.com/collect...-gen-camaro-ss
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:20 PM   #53
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
thats it just the install and price. id go with the Gen5DIY kit or buy it from leathalgarage https://www.lethalgarage.com/collect...-gen-camaro-ss
Old 10-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #54
NorCalLT1

Drives: SS
I have a '19 m6, will this tune work with my car? Also what timing should I see with 80% ethanol? If I can use this tune im willing to try because I've installed and activated my sensor and everything thru hptuners and noticed my WOT timing is the same on 91 and E80.
NorCalLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote