Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
byebye

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT
New Chevy Camaro.

Greetings fellow Camaro owners,
Just traded in my 2014 Porsche Cayman Base with PDK for a 2016 Camaro 2LT V6. I must say I'm impressed with the V6 performance. Initially, my plans were to keep the Camaro for a minute and get back into a Corvette (preferably a C7 Grand Sport). But now, I'm considering an SS or even a ZL1 as my next purchase in the distant future. Who knew this car was so much fun to drive.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
2006Moy

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible Hyper Blue
Welcome. How does the camaro compare to the Porsche? Pros cons question.
Black hash marks
Curb alert
Vitesse controller

Jl audio HD 900/5 amp
c5 650 components
c2 650x coaxials rear fill
2 x 8" W3v3 subwoofers custom ported box
Fix 82 module

BF TPNS
BF Wet Diamond
BF Crystal Seal
Hydr02
303 Aerospace top protectant
2006Moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
Adp2017

Drives: 2017 RS Turbo
Congrats!
Adp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
byebye

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2LT
Thank you.
My first reaction was wow…this car is huge! LOL. The Camaro is a very comfortable car. For its size and weight, the car handles very well, and has good acceleration. I love the new interior, to me its gorgeous. I test drove both the V6 and the V8. The SS is awesome! The sound and acceleration…..it can be addictive. In the end, I chose the V6 with the NPP dual exhaust package (initially, I didn’t think I would want to keep the Camaro for an extended period of time).
When compared to the German cars I have owned. The first thing I noticed is the difference in the “fit and finish”. Porsche really builds excellent cars. The quality of the material, paint, leather, function buttons, etc. are really good (of course that comes at a premium price tag, and Chevy has made excellent gains in this area). I will miss go cart feeling, the handling and the sound of the Cayman. Like pretty much most reviews, the sound of the mid-engine flat six, and the way the car handles on curves and twisty roads is unmatched. Having owned both a 911 and a Cayman, I would recommend purchasing the “S” model of both cars. In terms of pure driving dynamics, I would give a nod to the Cayman. If I could afford the Cayman GT4, it would be my only car.
The only negative I could think of (besides the cost of ownership, if you are not a “Do- It- Yourself” person, or put a lot of miles on it), is the fact that the base models are a little underpowered. They are great in the “sports” mode at high revs, but you really have to push the car to experience its performance. One of the features I love about the Corvette is its low end torque. You have to drive a Porsche Turbo, or GT model to experience the same gratification (this is subjective to my experiences). The Camaro SS (manual) is just as rewarding. Porsche also have one of the best automatic transmission I have driven. I currently have the Chevy 8 speed auto. Although very nice, it doesn’t compare to the Porsche PDK dual clutch auto (again you will pay triple for it).
Lastly, some of my friends have comment on the Porsche “prestige”. To each its own. The Porsche is an excellent car (it can be costly when driven a lot, to me at least). I just like to enjoy my driving experiences. Both auto companies make great cars. Right know, I am enjoying my Camaro V6. It’s really a great car.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Blazin383

Drives: 2016 SS
Congrats on the new Camaro, and thanks for the great comparisons. The Cayman is a great car and beautiful lines with great attention to detail, but I think, had you purchased the SS Camaro rather than the LT, you'd really have enjoyed that V8 shove in the back and response enough to forget about some of the Porsche goodies! Plus, any repairs will be about 20% of what you'd pay for work on the Porsche!

Great to have you in the family!
Blazin383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
Frank237

Drives: Kubota 2640, 83 BMW R-65, 2017 1 SS
Had a 928 years back...had a few issues and the repair bills were like owning an airplane.

I think one of your pleasant surprises with Camaro ownership, will be the cheap maintenance.

Enjoyed your post as well. Keep us updated on your thoughts, as your get some miles on your car.
Frank237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
2006Moy

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible Hyper Blue
Thank you I was real curious from an owner pov.
Black hash marks
Curb alert
Vitesse controller

Jl audio HD 900/5 amp
c5 650 components
c2 650x coaxials rear fill
2 x 8" W3v3 subwoofers custom ported box
Fix 82 module

BF TPNS
BF Wet Diamond
BF Crystal Seal
Hydr02
303 Aerospace top protectant
2006Moy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I've owned a ton of BMW's and one audi, one Porsche, an early 996 C2.

The 911 is a great car - but to me it's very purpose built. It doesn't cruise along the highway that good - the ride is stiff and the car is a bit jumpy - plus it is more of a chore in commute traffic. On a back country road it's phenomenal. Problem is I don't drive back country roads that often - it's a 5% use case for me. And I am on the freeway a lot. So for me I prefer the Camaro as my "fun" car. I have a SS vert.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Im a former cayman owner as well(2012), loved the PDK but got a manual as I didn't want to pay for it. I find this car doesn't scrape on driveways and such as much, just a little more practical for everyday.. also i had the LSD, did yours wheel hop really really bad?
It is very rare to get these camaro to wheel hop.

also, dont forget to consider a 1LE for your next one.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #10
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Yeah I think you would like the 1LE or ZL1 given the car you just traded in
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:37 PM   #11
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Before I ordered my 1LE, I test drove a Grand Sport to make sure I wouldn't be making a mistake. Given the price difference not a mistake at all, felt very similar to a standard SS, at least in terms of a limited drive on the street.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
wow good write up!I have driven 911s boxters,etc -fun cars!a couple of vettes I owned,wish I still had them!But my v6 is a daily driver and it works fine-FOR NOW!
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Before I ordered my 1LE, I test drove a Grand Sport to make sure I wouldn't be making a mistake. Given the price difference not a mistake at all, felt very similar to a standard SS, at least in terms of a limited drive on the street.
I drove C7 GS 7MT and Camaro 1LE 6MT on consecutive days last week. There is barely a discernible difference in enjoyment on the street. In fact I preferred the 6MT over 7MT. There was also some more noise coming from the C7 targa roof panel. The Corvette has a better driving position though. On the track you would expect the GS to have higher ultimate grip.

The biggest difference was how difficult it is to park the GS.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
Phidelt59

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Congrats and welcome.
Black 5 Spoke
Phidelt59 is offline   Reply With Quote