Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Phastek Performance

Old 10-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
phobos512

Drives: 2017 Audi S3
"Used" Car being sold as new? Need some help here

So recently been looking to see if I could take advantage of a 20% deal on a 2SS. Found one this afternoon at a Southern California dealer, specced how I would want and then some (8AT, MRC, NPP, 6-pots). Try to view the window sticker and no joy - not available. So I do what I've been doing which is to google the VIN. The search returns a Carfax page for the vehicle where I find it was previously sold on 30 August and was driven for about a month and a half, prior to being relisted for sale at the same dealership, now with just over 1,000 miles on the odometer. The thing I don't understand is they've got it listed as new.

I spoke with the dealership Internet Sales Manager this morning and they explained it's advantageous to me for them to be selling it as new because it qualifies for more discounts this way. But uh, how is this legal exactly? I don't get it.

Yes, I'm purposely being coy with some of the details because I don't want to call the dealer out in public. At least, not at this point. Anyone have an idea what might be up? Thanks!
phobos512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Could have been registered to a dealer manager or employee as a company car.
They still consider it new for retail sale purpose, new owner gets full warrenty, incentives, etc.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:09 PM   #3
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Probably an unwind. Customer bought the car and for whatever reason the deal went bad. Customer could have provided fake proof of income, job didn't check out, whatever happened and the deal got unwinded. Car is still considered new and you will get the full warranty.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
During my search for a tagged 2016, Chevy put me in touch with a dealer in PA who had the car with the color/options I wanted only to find out that dealership owner was driving that red hot for past 6 months and it had close to 2K miles on it. Car was listed as new and that's how the sales manager wanted to sell it with the tag discount.
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
phobos512

Drives: 2017 Audi S3
Thanks y'all so the likely story is that whoever owned it was probably a dealership employee. Okey done. Fingers crossed it's still there Friday when I can go take a look.
phobos512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Or it could be a demo, which means that many people may have taken out and hotRodded it. Tell them you want to take it back to service and have a computer history run to see what RPM history it has.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:19 PM   #7
TommyDuncan

Drives: 2016 SS2
A guy was returning one when I went back to the dealership a couple days after buying mine. His financing fell through. It was never titled in his name.
The dealership was going to sell it as new because of the incentives. They also had a used 2016 on the lot that was listed for more than my new one for that reason.
TommyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:45 PM   #8
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Most likely a courtsey/demo car, my dealer does this all the time, they tried selling me a courtesy Cadillac tht was listed as "new", but had 3000 miles on it and was beat to crap! Was never registered to a person outside the dealer with regular non dealer plates. Technically it is the first time it is sold.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
First off, send me a PM with the VIN and I'll let you know if it shows a registered owner or if the warranty has been started.

Second, a "Demo" doesn't mean that a bunch of different people drive around or ho rod in the car. It means that the car was pulled from inventory for one specific individual to drive, typically these people are owners, management or investors involved with the dealership. These people are held responsible if anything happens to said vehicles. A demo is not a free pass to destroy a vehicle or let just anyone drive the vehicle as the person driving needs to be on the dealerships insurance policy.

Third, as long as a vehicle has not been titled it can certainly be sold as new. I have seen vehicles sold as new with as many as 6~k miles on them. This is nothing new and completely legal.

Fourth, there are many different guidelines of what can be sold as new depending on where you live. This may also depend on what the banks allow to be considered new.

Fifth, a deal that ends with the customer leaving with the vehicle and the financing falling through *should* be pretty rare. Typically, in my experience, it's the buyers fault when this happens. Lying on a credit app, faking income and issues with bank interviews are the most common. In these situations, the vehicle does not get titled. In fact, as far as a dealership goes, they will typically not title a vehicle until it has fully funded.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Loaner vehicles are a whole other matter but I don't know anyone using Camaros for courtesy loaners.
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:14 PM   #10
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXSSIVE View Post
First off, send me a PM with the VIN and I'll let you know if it shows a registered owner or if the warranty has been started.

Second, a "Demo" doesn't mean that a bunch of different people drive around or ho rod in the car. It means that the car was pulled from inventory for one specific individual to drive, typically these people are owners, management or investors involved with the dealership. These people are held responsible if anything happens to said vehicles. A demo is not a free pass to destroy a vehicle or let just anyone drive the vehicle as the person driving needs to be on the dealerships insurance policy.
I realize you're a dealer person, and so was I for 35years, Both on the manufacture side and the dealer side. And a demo means just that ;it can mean specifically for one person or it could be a line demo that they used to demonstrate the car. You just don't know at this point and you need to find out what kind a demo it was, it certainly could've been hotrodded.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote