Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 04-28-2023, 08:50 AM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Service Brake Assist message while bedding track brake pads

I have bedded multiple sets of hawk DCT 70 track pads before, but this is the first time that while doing so the message “service brake assist”, kept on appearing to which I kept on dismissing it. I did not notice anything odd that felt off od different while completing the bedding process however, I am now concerned about going to the track this weekend with what seems to be an outstanding unresolved issue.

Has anyone encountered this before and does anyone know what could be going on?

I did a search on the forum and I found that this message had come up on some older 2016 and 2017 cars that there was a TSB on requiring some sort of software update to the EBCM, however, I have an EBCM from a 2020 ZL 11 LE in my 2018 ZL1. This is the first time bedding track pads with this EBCM in my car but I put the EBCM in my car six months ago in October, but have not tracked the car with it in.

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2023, 09:56 AM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I haven't encountered this before, but do have a few thoughts to offer.

I assume the EBCM unit handles the ABS and therefore it's your concern about the ABS working appropriately while you are on driving on track. I'd guess that even if there is something problematic with the ABS, it won't be a problem for you on the track unless you are in the habit regularly exceeding threshold braking with the pedal and entering the zone of ABS braking. In these instances, I suppose the risk with a malfunctioning unit would be either ICE mode or wheel lock up. However, if you are normally threshold breaking and working below the ABS tip threshold, then any EBCM problem presumably will not come into play.

To make yourself feel better about the safety of the car, and now that your brakes are bedded: You could try taking the car out on a multi-lane highway late tonight (very few other cars) and go through some breaking maneuvers to ensure the car maintains grip without lockup (straight line threshold break, trail brake around a sweeping curve, threshold to trail through a curve and back to threshold after the exit). Then maybe purposely invoke ABS straight line and see what you get.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 10:25 AM   #3
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
I haven't encountered this before, but do have a few thoughts to offer.

I assume the EBCM unit handles the ABS and therefore it's your concern about the ABS working appropriately while you are on driving on track. I'd guess that even if there is something problematic with the ABS, it won't be a problem for you on the track unless you are in the habit regularly exceeding threshold braking with the pedal and entering the zone of ABS braking. In these instances, I suppose the risk with a malfunctioning unit would be either ICE mode or wheel lock up. However, if you are normally threshold breaking and working below the ABS tip threshold, then any EBCM problem presumably will not come into play.

To make yourself feel better about the safety of the car, and now that your brakes are bedded: You could try taking the car out on a multi-lane highway late tonight (very few other cars) and go through some breaking maneuvers to ensure the car maintains grip without lockup (straight line threshold break, trail brake around a sweeping curve, threshold to trail through a curve and back to threshold after the exit). Then maybe purposely invoke ABS straight line and see what you get.
Thanks for your thoughts and insights.

I was definitely engaging ABS last night when bedding the brake pads.
I had previously braked hard enough on the stock, OEM street pads to engage ABS on a colder day a few months ago a few times and no problems arose then when I was testing the EBCM.

While on the track I will have SC3R tires, however on the street I have different tires on the front and rear (and while bedding the pads last night), Michelin PS4 in the front and Toyo R888R tires in the rear, I’m not sure if that could play a role in any of this or not. But it hasn’t in the past.

I will definitely continue to test them today and tomorrow to see if the message persists, and to see if I can notice any difference in how the braking feels.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:51 AM   #4
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I doubt it had any effect on the EBCM warning messages, but when you bed in the pads, you definitely don't want ABS to be activating. The goal of the bedding process (aside from heating new pads to the point that you get the green elements out) is to transfer an EVEN layer of pad material to the rotor. A pulsing pad from ABS being active does not achieve this. You'll want to use less pedal. That's why you see bedding guides talking about using 60% pedal braking events, followed by 80% pedal events.

I would have thought that different tires front and rear might run the risk of invoking ABS and triggering error messages, but then again, square set ups (less relative grip in rear vs OEM) don't seem to do that, and you say you haven't seen this problem with your mismatched tire setup in the past.

At any rate, if you take it to the track and experience a problem, I'm assuming it will most likely be ICE mode or wheel lock up. The solution in either case will be to release the pedal at least partially (lock up) or fully (ICE mode), steering correct if need be (lock up), and reapply brake smoother (ICE mode). On track I'd suggest you move your brake zones significantly earlier to allow yourself for these possibilities until you confirm all is well with your brakes.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 12:47 AM   #5
GunMetalGrey

Did it again today
I’m taking it to the dealership first to see if there are any other codes showing up.
I am also ordering a stock ECBM brake module as well and will test the car with those next before going to the track.
Old 04-18-2024, 11:13 AM   #6
Texan4iu
BLEW BIU

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Did it again today
I’m taking it to the dealership first to see if there are any other codes showing up.
I am also ordering a stock ECBM brake module as well and will test the car with those next before going to the track.
Gun, any update on this? Curious as to what they found out.
Texan4iu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:28 PM   #7
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
1-year update please and thank you.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 02:31 PM   #8
GunMetalGrey

It’s stopped doing it, I think it was just the changing over of parts that caused this, needed some time to adjust and calibrate, never noticed anything actually wrong when driving