Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #29
Rob GTO

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Somone in a bolt-on C7 has dipped into the 10.4s@129mph
Rob GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #30
wbt2012

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Every mustang in that range (only 1 s550) has been stripped and is running ftw race fuel. Even went as far as to remove the damn cat back.
No comparable Bolton mustang has went 11.0 stock converter and full weight.

You seen first hand what a realistic FBO 5.0 can do against your car same track same day. You won. And on 93. And no converter

Anyway yeah someone should go for it.
This isn't entirely true. I ran 10.56 on stock fuel system, non-ethanol fuel. I still have A/C, factory stereo and speakers. It has all the safety gear needed to legally run down to 10.00. That all adds weight.

To run FTW with the Coyote you need larger injectors and a BAP to handle the amount of extra fuel needed.

Back OT...the converter should be worth .4 and I am very interested to see how it works on the 6th gen. We bought my wife a 2017 1SS and have the converter lock shudder issue. I am torn on replacing the converter and getting a tune or just keep it under warranty. I already have a car to take to the track.....

I have been following Pray's progress and am impressed so far...especially with the stock converter.
wbt2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #31
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt2012 View Post
This isn't entirely true. I ran 10.56 on stock fuel system, non-ethanol fuel. I still have A/C, factory stereo and speakers. It has all the safety gear needed to legally run down to 10.00. That all adds weight.

To run FTW with the Coyote you need larger injectors and a BAP to handle the amount of extra fuel needed.

Back OT...the converter should be worth .4 and I am very interested to see how it works on the 6th gen. We bought my wife a 2017 1SS and have the converter lock shudder issue. I am torn on replacing the converter and getting a tune or just keep it under warranty. I already have a car to take to the track.....

I have been following Pray's progress and am impressed so far...especially with the stock converter.
Yes it is.

I said s550. Looking at my post now I can see how it looks like I meant all.

Did you even remove your windshield wipers?
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #32
wbt2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Yes it is.

I said s550. Looking at my post now I can see how it looks like I meant all.

Did you even remove your windshield wipers?
They are off the car along with the washer tank. I don't drive it on the street anymore so that was part of the WR plan.

The only thing that it lacks to be street worthy are mufflers and windshield wipers. I may just put those back on just to say it is.

Apologies but I don't want to distract from the thread too much. I am very interested in how the 10 sec., N/A chase turns out. Here are some pics of the wife's car:

It may just get a TVS and call it done......I can't leave anything alone.

Last edited by wbt2012; 03-26-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 AM   #33
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Nice

Looks exactly like my car
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #34
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:

No detraction at all, on the contrary really. I appreciate the feed back from "the other side". What you really have done is put 60ft, mph, ET into one easy to follow time slip. I am only a mph or so behind currently and need to drop a 10th or two on my 60ft and I am in the 10.50's. I thought this was a 10.70 car at best. We can now also throw out the weight and weather debate. We know that leaving off idle on my stock converter my car is capable of 99.7/125+ in +200 DA. I am assuming that with a converter leaving in my power band my 1/8 mph can only go up a bit. I am not expecting much on the top end of a mph gain. So all I have to do is get my 60fts down to where yours are and I am there.

Now if we want to compare cars mod for mod to see which is truly the better platform then we need the no crap weight of your car going down the track and the DA you ran those times in. I would also have to go on pump gas or you go on pump E to see which car is truly faster. I am assuming I would have to add some mods to my engine combo or drop some to be truly mod for mod even. I am not really interested in that argument though. I don't own a Mustang and have no interest in how fast they are. Not trying to be a jerk but I don't build or offer parts for Mustangs. I am only interested in making my car go as fast as humanly possible with the least amount of mods and the smallest deviation from how I drive it every day.

It does me no good to lose on the street from a roll or at a stop light and tell a guy that it runs 10's, on E, with my drag pack, in - DA, with my seats out, and my exhaust dropped. Kind of like saying if I had my bottle turned on I would have won. Well, you didn't, you lost, so deal with it. No if's in chance encounters.

So please, since you have drag racing nailed down in bolt on form, add to the conversation anything you think will help the cause. It is appreciated and welcomed.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #35
wbt2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
No detraction at all, on the contrary really. I appreciate the feed back from "the other side". What you really have done is put 60ft, mph, ET into one easy to follow time slip. I am only a mph or so behind currently and need to drop a 10th or two on my 60ft and I am in the 10.50's. I thought this was a 10.70 car at best. We can now also throw out the weight and weather debate. We know that leaving off idle on my stock converter my car is capable of 99.7/125+ in +200 DA. I am assuming that with a converter leaving in my power band my 1/8 mph can only go up a bit. I am not expecting much on the top end of a mph gain. So all I have to do is get my 60fts down to where yours are and I am there.

Now if we want to compare cars mod for mod to see which is truly the better platform then we need the no crap weight of your car going down the track and the DA you ran those times in. I would also have to go on pump gas or you go on pump E to see which car is truly faster. I am assuming I would have to add some mods to my engine combo or drop some to be truly mod for mod even. I am not really interested in that argument though. I don't own a Mustang and have no interest in how fast they are. Not trying to be a jerk but I don't build or offer parts for Mustangs. I am only interested in making my car go as fast as humanly possible with the least amount of mods and the smallest deviation from how I drive it every day.

It does me no good to lose on the street from a roll or at a stop light and tell a guy that it runs 10's, on E, with my drag pack, in - DA, with my seats out, and my exhaust dropped. Kind of like saying if I had my bottle turned on I would have won. Well, you didn't, you lost, so deal with it. No if's in chance encounters.

So please, since you have drag racing nailed down in bolt on form, add to the conversation anything you think will help the cause. It is appreciated and welcomed.
Thanks for the compliments. I am a keep it at the track kind of guy and not into street racing personally.

My raceweight sits at around 3,270 depending on how much fuel I have in the car, never more than 1/4 tank. The times posted were run in sea level air. I wish Texas had better to offer but unfortunately we are just too far South here.

I had MS109 in the car on those runs and I run the same timing on that fuel vs. e85. No real difference in power. Since I had the stock fuel system components in the car that was the best I could do. I lent my injectors out to a TVS car I also tune so was stuck with the stock injectors for about a year. Additionally I believe the MPH in the 1/4 was off on those timeslips based on my logs. I was seeing 129 there but we will have to go off the timeslip.

Onto the converter, in the Mustang it is worth about .4 over stock so I would expect similar gains with the A8 however I will say I am very impressed with the stock A8 converter and the 60' times it allows for. 1.8 is about the best one will see with the stock converter in the Mustang. One main item I am interested in is converter lockup. On the Mustang side the fast cars lock it up right after the 1-2 shift and try to get through the 1/4 mile in the top of third. I have to wind my car our to 8K to make it through. I am interested to see if locking it sooner would also benefit the A8.

Do you do your own tuning? If I recall you may do some and collaborate with others as well.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #36
PRAY

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments. I am a keep it at the track kind of guy and not into street racing personally.

My raceweight sits at around 3,270 depending on how much fuel I have in the car, never more than 1/4 tank. The times posted were run in sea level air. I wish Texas had better to offer but unfortunately we are just too far South here.

I had MS109 in the car on those runs and I run the same timing on that fuel vs. e85. No real difference in power. Since I had the stock fuel system components in the car that was the best I could do. I lent my injectors out to a TVS car I also tune so was stuck with the stock injectors for about a year. Additionally I believe the MPH in the 1/4 was off on those timeslips based on my logs. I was seeing 129 there but we will have to go off the timeslip.

Onto the converter, in the Mustang it is worth about .4 over stock so I would expect similar gains with the A8 however I will say I am very impressed with the stock A8 converter and the 60' times it allows for. 1.8 is about the best one will see with the stock converter in the Mustang. One main item I am interested in is converter lockup. On the Mustang side the fast cars lock it up right after the 1-2 shift and try to get through the 1/4 mile in the top of third. I have to wind my car our to 8K to make it through. I am interested to see if locking it sooner would also benefit the A8.

Do you do your own tuning? If I recall you may do some and collaborate with others as well.
Thanks for the reply. That is shockingly light. I am not even mad, I am impressed. LOL.

I figured E85 would make more power than race fuel due to the cooling effects. I didn't think it would allow for anymore timing or octane though.

I am hoping the converter is worth .3. Talking to Chris he was thinking .2 and possibly .3. The stock converter will "flash" to 2,700ish and hold there for quite a while before the rpm climbs. I think I will see .3 due my dyno graphs. If I can blast though the soft spot and come up on power I should be able to hit high 1.4's. We are only talking about a gain of 1K rpm over stock or so with the converter I got. I also heard that since the gear split in the A8's are so tight that the converter doesn't help so much. That remains to be seen. Below is the launch vs. the dyno graph. It kind of lays out why the 60ft and 1/8th could be a ton better in this car.

Name:  Acceleration.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  140.5 KB
Name:  Brett 492.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  246.1 KB

I do lock the converter as soon as it hits 2nd. All of my drag race buddies do their best to lock the converter as soon as it hits 2nd as well. I am sure the billet 248 will work the same as the stock converter and it has a third clutch so I will be more than fine with my power level.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 PM   #37
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:

Martin here, LOL I forgot she has an SS.......
Sir does this mean you may tap into GM?
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:40 PM   #38
PRAY

I forgot to mention that I have been doing all of my own tuning for the last 13 years. I started out tuning this car on my own after some help from friends in the industry and tuning a C7 that set the bolt on pump gas record in 2015. The actual only real reason I got this car was to nail down the tuning. I don't do stuff to other peoples cars before I do them to mine. (the C7 was a real good friends that I used to do work for). I got this car going pretty well but since I use EFI Live I wasn't able to do E85 Tim of EFI Tuning stepped in. He dropped a prototype kit on my car and set up the tune to work. He turned me loose on it to get it dialed in for my combo. Then Tim figured out the TQ tables and put those in my car as well. I do all the on street and track tuning. I have it all worked over now and the TCM for my set up. I am begrudgingly making the switch to HPT but I am not impressed so far in the least with it. But they are keeping up with the time and so must I.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #39
wbt2012

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. That is shockingly light. I am not even mad, I am impressed. LOL.

I figured E85 would make more power than race fuel due to the cooling effects. I didn't think it would allow for anymore timing or octane though.
The benefits are being able to run more timing. The "cooling" effect will allow for more up to a certain point when you reach diminishing returns. The extra timing is where the power comes from but I am sure you know this.

Quote:
I am hoping the converter is worth .3. Talking to Chris he was thinking .2 and possibly .3. The stock converter will "flash" to 2,700ish and hold there for quite a while before the rpm climbs. I think I will see .3 due my dyno graphs. If I can blast though the soft spot and come up on power I should be able to hit high 1.4's. We are only talking about a gain of 1K rpm over stock or so with the converter I got. I also heard that since the gear split in the A8's are so tight that the converter doesn't help so much. That remains to be seen. Below is the launch vs. the dyno graph. It kind of lays out why the 60ft and 1/8th could be a ton better in this car.
Absolutely. You have studied it to the right degree for sure. I am very interested in the results and will be watching closely. On the Coyote, due to lack of TQ, we have to stick a pretty big stall in them (~4,200) to get it in the power.

There is also a trick to wire in an electronic tbrake. It basically uses two solenoids wired into the PCM that when active, engage two forward clutches creating a bind. Used in combination with the two step launches are as simple as releasing the button.

Quote:
I do lock the converter as soon as it hits 2nd. All of my drag race buddies do their best to lock the converter as soon as it hits 2nd as well. I am sure the billet 248 will work the same as the stock converter and it has a third clutch so I will be more than fine with my power level.
Fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Martin here, LOL I forgot she has an SS.......
Sir does this mean you may tap into GM?
/me waves. Possibly....just for me to tune her car with HP Tuners is $600. $200 in credits to marry to the PCM, $200 in credits to marry to the TCM, and $200 to send the TCM to HP Tuners to decrypt. $600 out of pocket before making a single change.....that is the biggest turn off for me so far.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I have been doing all of my own tuning for the last 13 years. I started out tuning this car on my own after some help from friends in the industry and tuning a C7 that set the bolt on pump gas record in 2015. The actual only real reason I got this car was to nail down the tuning. I don't do stuff to other peoples cars before I do them to mine. (the C7 was a real good friends that I used to do work for). I got this car going pretty well but since I use EFI Live I wasn't able to do E85 Tim of EFI Tuning stepped in. He dropped a prototype kit on my car and set up the tune to work. He turned me loose on it to get it dialed in for my combo. Then Tim figured out the TQ tables and put those in my car as well. I do all the on street and track tuning. I have it all worked over now and the TCM for my set up. I am begrudgingly making the switch to HPT but I am not impressed so far in the least with it. But they are keeping up with the time and so must I.
Our paths are very similar outside of the amount of time tuning. I started doing my own and friends cars about 3 years ago and have tuned mostly 11-14 Mustangs, V6 and V8...also a couple of Ecoboost trucks here and there. Superchargers, turbos, and N/A. On the N/A side I have tuned 4, 10 sec. cars across the country. I don't have a business, just help folks on the side. My day job keeps me plenty busy.

On the Camaro side, when I drive my wifes car I can tell they have TQ mgmt heavily controlling everything. My bet is getting that out of the way would create a monster. I am eyeing an e85 setup for her car as well but I need the ability to switch tunes so she can switch if I am not around. Looking at nGauge support for the LT1 there.

Thanks for entertaining my questions. I have been lurking following your progress for awhile and am very impressed. These cars have so much more in them vs. what the factory delivers.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 AM   #40
PRAY

Quote:
The benefits are being able to run more timing. The "cooling" effect will allow for more up to a certain point when you reach diminishing returns. The extra timing is where the power comes from but I am sure you know this.

Absolutely. You have studied it to the right degree for sure. I am very interested in the results and will be watching closely. On the Coyote, due to lack of TQ, we have to stick a pretty big stall in them (~4,200) to get it in the power.

There is also a trick to wire in an electronic tbrake. It basically uses two solenoids wired into the PCM that when active, engage two forward clutches creating a bind. Used in combination with the two step launches are as simple as releasing the button.

Fantastic!

/me waves. Possibly....just for me to tune her car with HP Tuners is $600. $200 in credits to marry to the PCM, $200 in credits to marry to the TCM, and $200 to send the TCM to HP Tuners to decrypt. $600 out of pocket before making a single change.....that is the biggest turn off for me so far.

Our paths are very similar outside of the amount of time tuning. I started doing my own and friends cars about 3 years ago and have tuned mostly 11-14 Mustangs, V6 and V8...also a couple of Ecoboost trucks here and there. Superchargers, turbos, and N/A. On the N/A side I have tuned 4, 10 sec. cars across the country. I don't have a business, just help folks on the side. My day job keeps me plenty busy.

On the Camaro side, when I drive my wifes car I can tell they have TQ mgmt heavily controlling everything. My bet is getting that out of the way would create a monster. I am eyeing an e85 setup for her car as well but I need the ability to switch tunes so she can switch if I am not around. Looking at nGauge support for the LT1 there.

Thanks for entertaining my questions. I have been lurking following your progress for awhile and am very impressed. These cars have so much more in them vs. what the factory delivers.
Thanks for the kind words. Don't get caught up in the length of time I have been tuning. It has been intermittent at best as my day job has kept me very busy as well. I am sure in your "short" amount of time you have caught up.

The junk GM did with the 17's is rediculous to keep people out of the cars. Especially the TCM. That kind of tells you what they are affraid of. TM is everywhere on these cars. Tim has cracked to code on how to tune these things. There are tables that have to be adjusted first before the rest of what we normally do will have any effect. On the E85 bit you will only need one tune once you have the flex sensor in there. She can bounce back and forth between E and pump with no ill effects.

Looking at your slips again and thinking about the 5.0's I have seen at the track it makes mores since that you were trapping 129 on the top end. The 5.0's need much more gear and a large converter to get out. But they top end like a big dog for sure.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #41
wbt2012

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words. Don't get caught up in the length of time I have been tuning. It has been intermittent at best as my day job has kept me very busy as well. I am sure in your "short" amount of time you have caught up.

The junk GM did with the 17's is rediculous to keep people out of the cars. Especially the TCM. That kind of tells you what they are affraid of. TM is everywhere on these cars. Tim has cracked to code on how to tune these things. There are tables that have to be adjusted first before the rest of what we normally do will have any effect. On the E85 bit you will only need one tune once you have the flex sensor in there. She can bounce back and forth between E and pump with no ill effects.
Got it. On the Ford side they come with widebands that are able to detect the oxygen content of the fuel and compensate so flex fueling is enabled in the tune itself.

Quote:
Looking at your slips again and thinking about the 5.0's I have seen at the track it makes mores since that you were trapping 129 on the top end. The 5.0's need much more gear and a large converter to get out. But they top end like a big dog for sure.
28+ MPH in the back half is not unheard of N/A for a well running car. All I can do is get it to a better track.

Here is where I ran that time.....race from a bit over a week ago (DA was 2,200+):
Old 03-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #42
PRAY

I have a buddy with a S550 that has a 5C, gear, IM, CAI, headers w/ full exhaust, drag pack, on E fully tuned. The car is full weight other than that. He picks up a solid 25mph on the top end. We ran on the same day in same weather at different tracks that are pretty close together location wise. His 60ft was a hair better than mine and the overall ET's were only a couple tenths apart. But I had 3mph on him in the 1/8th and 4mph on him in the 1/4.