Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-29-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
Sboston4

Drives: '17 LT Nightfall Grey
Don’t get stuck with no key fob

I had posted on this topic a while back and decided to do a video on what I warned about it.

You can start your Camaro, get out to do something, leave or lose your key fob and drive away. You likely won’t know you have a problem until you shut the car off.

I hope this video helps keep another Camaro friend from having this same issue.

https://youtu.be/pRbEkkW8jnM
Old 01-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #2
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
I bought a new GM fob on Ebay for 45 bucks. Followed the instructions in the manual and programmed it myself. It now sits hidden inside the car with the battery removed. If I ever get stuck, I can use the phone app to unlock the car, and put the fob in the rear cup holder (or put the battery back in) to start the car
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #3
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I've had a car with keyless entry for the last decade and never had this problem because I keep the key in my pocket. Just get into the habit of leaving the key in your pocket till you get home at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:50 AM   #4
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
I bought a new GM fob on Ebay for 45 bucks. Followed the instructions in the manual and programmed it myself. It now sits hidden inside the car with the battery removed. If I ever get stuck, I can use the phone app to unlock the car, and put the fob in the rear cup holder (or put the battery back in) to start the car
I do this if I'm going to be traveling to where someone can't get me my backup key in a reasonable amount of time.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #5
Sboston4

Quote:
7rsvert, I like the idea and I’m going to do this. Thanks for sharing your solution.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
The 6th gen Camaro will allow you to restart the car, when it gives you the warning, and let you go home.... As long as you start it when it gives you the warning.... So it's not terrible...

I'd still prefer it if the car would shut down if you attempted to put it in gear without the fob in the car.

From what I remember, I think it tells you when you start driving, that no fob is detected.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
The 6th gen Camaro will allow you to restart the car, when it gives you the warning, and let you go home.... As long as you start it when it gives you the warning.... So it's not terrible...

I'd still prefer it if the car would shut down if you attempted to put it in gear without the fob in the car.

From what I remember, I think it tells you when you start driving, that no fob is detected.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same thing that you get a warning if no Key fob is detected. I know my wife's jeep does for sure, I haven't forgot the key fob in the SS yet.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
I've had a car with keyless entry for the last decade and never had this problem because I keep the key in my pocket. Just get into the habit of leaving the key in your pocket till you get home at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You never had this problem because you keep the key in your pocket. And you will never have a problem, until something happens and for some reason or circumstance you can't even imagine right now, you or someone else drives off with the fob not in the car. I never had a problem either, and don't intend for it to happen, but for $45 bucks, I'd rather not have to worry if that day ever occurs.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboston4 View Post
I had posted on this topic a while back and decided to do a video on what I warned about it.

You can start your Camaro, get out to do something, leave or lose your key fob and drive away. You likely won’t know you have a problem until you shut the car off.

Thank you for posting this and excellent video.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:45 PM   #10
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
You never had this problem because you keep the key in your pocket. And you will never have a problem, until something happens and for some reason or circumstance you can't even imagine right now, you or someone else drives off with the fob not in the car. I never had a problem either, and don't intend for it to happen, but for $45 bucks, I'd rather not have to worry if that day ever occurs.

Like when I drove my wife to the cruise port and my wife got out after unloading the luggage to stay with it and I went to park the car. She had the keys with her. Luckily I did not just drop her off and leave to go back home. There are a lot of possibilities where this can happen.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboston4 View Post

Great info, cool video and now some randomly pictures from the internet!
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #12
Sboston4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Like when I drove my wife to the cruise port and my wife got out after unloading the luggage to stay with it and I went to park the car. She had the keys with her. Luckily I did not just drop her off and leave to go back home. There are a lot of possibilities where this can happen.
A guy at the track told me that he dropped his wife at the airport and drove away without realizing that she had the key fob in her purse and she was in the air by the time he figured it out.

Crap happens.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #13
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Speaking of crap happens - a few weeks ago I was working on putting a Alky meth kit on my car. I was advised that under the center console was a good place to mount the unit, so I managed to get work on running the wires, mounting everything, and removed the console.

A few days go by from when I start and finish, and when I go to do the final check on the function of the Alky kit, I fire up the car and it all goes off without a hitch. A few minutes go by, and thought the car is running, I get a message that says "NO FOB DETECTED - SECURITY SYSTEM ACTIVATED"

I think for a second "what the hell does that mean?", and then the alarm goes off. I dig for the fob, try and cancel the alarm, and finally put two plus two together that the sensor for the key fobs is in the center console, which is now removed from the car and not plugged in. So the fob does nothing.

SO there is no way to shut the alarm off. Pushing the start button won't even shut the car off as it sits there's and idles. So my next thought - disconnect the battery. Well the trunk is shut, and can only be opened with the fob. So, car idling, alarm blaring, I throw the console back in the car, plug it in, throw the fob in the cupholder and press the alarm button and nothing happens.

At that point the start button would shut the car off, and THEN it would shut the alarm off.

It was 12:30 at night - the wife was quite pleased with me.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:21 AM   #14
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I hate to jinx myself, but the simple solution is to keep the key in your pocket. A lot of motorcycle guys fret about losing their fob or the battery dying. They insist on getting a backup fob. If I misplace my fob I have even bigger issues since my house keys are attached to it.