Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 AM   #15
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
I'm a hard top guy, but the vert looks sharp. C&D still won't give the Camaro a fair shake, but it is there if you look close. Better torsional stiffness than beemer. Top is high quality. Now if they would just get off the blind spot thing.
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #16
SZOTSTA24

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Looks really good.
SZOTSTA24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:09 AM   #17
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
Am I the only one that doesn't care all that much for the convertible? the coupe looks way better in my opinion for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. Although I do admit I enjoy long trips with my ttops off.
drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #18
Namrepus28

Drives: 1996 Camaro 3.8L V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5679 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't care all that much for the convertible? the coupe looks way better in my opinion for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. Although I do admit I enjoy long trips with my ttops off.
No, you're not the only one. I don't like them either, but keep in mind the convertible threads are going to be mosly filled with convertible fans.

I wanted to read the C&D review, but when every up date on the home page was "convertible this", "convertible that" for about a month, I didn't even bother clicking the links.

Regardless of my personal feelings, it looks like GM did a very nice job and will make a lot of people very very happy. Also, if sales continue to rise (and beat the tar out of the competition) then it can only be a good thing for the future of the Camaro.
Namrepus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #19
Blown355

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
"C&D still won't give the Camaro a fair shake, but it is there if you look close. Better torsional stiffness than beemer. Top is high quality. Now if they would just get off the blind spot thing."

That's the same thing I was thinking while reading this. They start out saying, dropping the top fixes the problem. Then they keep bringing it back up. It's like they feel guilty for saying something nice about the car, so they feel compelled to immediately slam it.
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
Namrepus28

Drives: 1996 Camaro 3.8L V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
"C&D still won't give the Camaro a fair shake, but it is there if you look close. Better torsional stiffness than beemer. Top is high quality. Now if they would just get off the blind spot thing."

That's the same thing I was thinking while reading this. They start out saying, dropping the top fixes the problem. Then they keep bringing it back up. It's like they feel guilty for saying something nice about the car, so they feel compelled to immediately slam it.
That's C&D in a nutshell. Unless it's a BMW review, don't expect it to be 100% positive.
Namrepus28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #21
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
I'm going to have to check one out as soon as Eric Hall gets one at Classic Chevrolet!

It'll be nice to see one close up. I love how it looks with the top down, top up, not so much. Would have looked soooo much better in a hard top. But you can't please everyone!

Still glad I have my 2SS/RS - not sure if I'd have waited that I could justify $5700 more to get the top off. That's an expensive lap dance!
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #22
ensign_lee

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
Gosh, that is SO sexy. The aesthetics department at GM really did a great job with a car that look strong and fast, yet retains the attractive curves that make it a camaro...and make it look slightly more feminine (since all cars are girls, remember )
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrepus28 View Post
That's C&D in a nutshell. Unless it's a BMW review, don't expect it to be 100% positive.
Nothing is 100% positive. Even when the first coupe reviews came out and everyone was gushing over it, the weight, blind spot, visibility and other complaints were still there.

I think the review was pretty fair. The negatives they pointed out were all objectively true - yes, it is harder to see out of than the run-of-the-mill teardrop-mobile; yes, there is a performance penalty due to extra weight; yes, it does use up more trunk space (although I never understood why golf bags were the gold standard). But they also give it a coupe nods for the suspension (as well as a favorable comparison to the Main Enemy, Ford), they like the lines it has with the top up. In spite of the BMW love affair, they didn't even contradict Chevy where the Camaro was compared to the 3-series. About the only stand-out negative opinion I saw was calling the steering "lifeless," but compared to some it may be - then again I don't spend my days on a slalom course so it doesn't matter much. About the only target of any real negativity was "Jersey Shore," and of course that's totally deserved.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
jroc7

Drives: *
Certainly, a more resonable review than the twits at M-T, but one striking similarity - their opinion of how good the car looks with the soft top up. Really? Its not that taught and was he being sarcastic when he said it was a reasonable facsimile of the coupe? The author lost credibility with me there. As for the inevitable loss of performance and practicality with any convertible, the idea of adding almost 250 lbs to an already overweight car is painful to think about. If I want the wind in my hair, I'll jog. If I want the best Camaro possible, I'll stick with the hard top. I can hear the engine just fine with the windows down.
jroc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
REAPER SS

Drives: 2010 CAMARO BLK 2SS/L99
I have never been a convertible fan but the Camaro vert does look pretty nice compared to the other convertibles.Good job GM
REAPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #26
jmaryt

Drives: 2010 cgm LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
Nothing is 100% positive. Even when the first coupe reviews came out and everyone was gushing over it, the weight, blind spot, visibility and other complaints were still there.

I think the review was pretty fair. The negatives they pointed out were all objectively true - yes, it is harder to see out of than the run-of-the-mill teardrop-mobile; yes, there is a performance penalty due to extra weight; yes, it does use up more trunk space (although I never understood why golf bags were the gold standard). But they also give it a coupe nods for the suspension (as well as a favorable comparison to the Main Enemy, Ford), they like the lines it has with the top up. In spite of the BMW love affair, they didn't even contradict Chevy where the Camaro was compared to the 3-series. About the only stand-out negative opinion I saw was calling the steering "lifeless," but compared to some it may be - then again I don't spend my days on a slalom course so it doesn't matter much. About the only target of any real negativity was "Jersey Shore," and of course that's totally deserved.
"jersey shore" reference makes good copy,however,c&d must believe only "air heads" read their reviews if they insist upon mentioning the show!..just sayin!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #27
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Yeah baby, I just can't wait for the vert to arrive and the snow to leave !
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #28
Judy

Drives: 2012 2LT
I'm also about to purchase the 2LT RS and was wondering about the convertible top.
I noticed in the showroom that when the top is up you see a lot of the impressions of the ribbing throughout the top. It's not very smooth.
Did yours look like that also and is it bothersome to you?
Judy is offline   Reply With Quote