Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2018 SS - 2015 SS 1LE - 2013 SS
Is removing the front seat airbags too big of a risk?

From my understanding, the coupe front seat airbags cover the lower door area for your side body impact and the side window airbag deploys from the upper rail on the ceiling of the 6th gen. Is this correct?

The reason I'm looking into this is deciding if getting aftermarket seats is worth the risk of removing the seat airbag. If I were to get into a collision, I would think the most important side airbag would be the window deployment which I believe comes from the ceiling rail. Would it be too risky going with a seat without a side airbag which covers your lower side body?
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #2
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
I'm not the expert on this by any stretch, but it was always my understanding that the airbags and seatbelts all work in conjunction with each other, and removing any piece from the puzzle could unbalance everything and effectively turn airbags into weapons hitting you in the wrong place at the wrong time.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I wouldn't tinker with airbags. YMMV
Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
The human species survived for many years without side impact airbags, so I would just purchase the aftermarket seats of your desire and drive happy.

More seriously, however, I wouldn't hesitate to install aftermarket seats without airbags.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I wouldn’t remove them either. They might save your life or a loved one some day!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
It is true that man has survived for decades without side airbags, however if that same logic was applied everywhere then man would not have evolved. I mean, man also thought asbestos was safe and we see how that turned out.

Everyone has varying degrees of risk acceptance. In this instance the vehicle was engineered with those safety parameters in place and while not full proof, they are there because without them the likelihood for injury, or death, increases, and maybe even significantly. Given that I can account for my own actions, but not those of the careless drivers around me, I tend to lean towards keeping the safety features in place.

I’d definitely replace the seats in a car that didn’t have airbags in the seats since the car would’ve been engineered without them so I wouldn’t be removing a safety feature by swapping them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #7
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
If you get hurt or killed in a vehicle were a Factory safety device was removed you car insurance will be voided.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2018 SS - 2015 SS 1LE - 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
If you get hurt or killed in a vehicle were a Factory safety device was removed you car insurance will be voided.
Good point, I didn't think about this. I'd need to check this out with our insurance company.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
I have a convertible so I don't have overhead airbags so yes I would. I know I do have seat (side) airbags but I still would get the aftermarket seats.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I'm not a lawyer nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn recently but removing or disabling the airbags may invalidate your insurance policy and might even be illegal in some states. The policy will be based on a standard model with all safety devices installed and working properly. If you or another person is hurt or killed in an accident as a result of your modifications the insurance company might not be liable for claims.

The car was engineered to protect as a unit so the structure and crumple zones were all designed to function together. Removing some of that protection puts you and your passengers at risk. I wouldn't risk spending life in a wheelchair because of a side impact with the airbags removed.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
insurance coverage is the only thing i think is a valid concern. The likelihood that you'll be injured due to the missing airbag is so much smaller than the likelihood that you get any injury at all during a collision but your insurance company not covering it due to you disabling some tangentially related safety equipment.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #12
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 View Post
The human species survived for many years without side impact airbags, so I would just purchase the aftermarket seats of your desire and drive happy.

More seriously, however, I wouldn't hesitate to install aftermarket seats without airbags.
Survived without cars too. And Facebook and Twitter

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #13
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Do the Recaro seats come with air bags? If not, might be a loophole for the insurance company, as it's an optional component.

I can't find the info yet, on the Recaro site, anyways... Still looking, lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by drperry View Post
Do the Recaro seats come with air bags? If not, might be a loophole for the insurance company, as it's an optional component.

I can't find the info yet, on the Recaro site, anyways... Still looking, lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

yes they do