Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #1
MaxxRPM

Drives: 2016 Camaro NFG 1SS A8
No change tranny filter?

Stopped by a chevy dealer today to inquire about a transmission fluid flush and filter change and they (Bommarrito Chevrolet in south county) specified they do not change the filter (don't drop the pan he said). I know it has a filter (I've seen it) but I was told it's more like a screen (making it sound like it's insignificant). My question is, is this the norm? Do dealers or garages not change the filter on these trannies? By far, my biggest complaint about this car is they make it a real PITA to service the transmission yourself............Nobody cares about your car like YOU do!................GRRRRRRRRRR!
MaxxRPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Just remember, the new stuff can't escape science; meaning, new or old, you will have wear and tear. The intervals may change, but there is no such thing as a true "fill for life" when you take a closer look. Yeah, "fill for life" if you drive A-B and THAT'S IT. Outside of that, no, maintenance should be done.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I would listen to them. I wouldn’t touch the transmission. They say life because we all know what usually follows new trans fluid.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxRPM View Post
Stopped by a chevy dealer today to inquire about a transmission fluid flush and filter change and they (Bommarrito Chevrolet in south county) specified they do not change the filter (don't drop the pan he said). I know it has a filter (I've seen it) but I was told it's more like a screen (making it sound like it's insignificant). My question is, is this the norm? Do dealers or garages not change the filter on these trannies? By far, my biggest complaint about this car is they make it a real PITA to service the transmission yourself............Nobody cares about your car like YOU do!................GRRRRRRRRRR!
its def more than just a screen. every filter has a screening element. but this is an actual flat filter housing with filtering element inside. honestly, I would change it every oil change like any other filter. I think the filter is like 20-30$ in that range.

they changed it when they did the triple flush on my car, so that says something to the issue.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxRPM View Post

This is just your dealer of choice taking the easy way out when doing a flush service. They just hook up the BG machine and push fluid. No pan drop or anything. The trans def has a filter that should be serviced like every other vehicle. In fact the 2.0, 3.6, and 6.2 use the exact same part number. They should: Drain, Clean pan/magnet, Replace Filter, & Remove fluid from the oil cooler lines. Especially if you have a shudder concern. I would tell you to bring it up to my dealer, we will hook you up, but we are about 65 miles west of Bommarito South.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #6
MaxxRPM

Drives: 2016 Camaro NFG 1SS A8
Thanks Coop but you guys are a little far for me (South County)......Went to George Weber Columbia and they did me real good.........
MaxxRPM is offline   Reply With Quote