Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #15
ChicagoTommy

Drives: 2017 Camaro; 2017 Acadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I am as well. Ya I added that last time I updated my signature with all the mods in route and sitting on my table.

Doing it with a Friend who co-owns Performance Dyno in NH using HPTuners. I just couldn't justify a canned/email tune when a dyno tune is much safer and will give better real world results. It's the same dyno I used for my stock and bolt-on pull so the gains will be 100% chartable from stage 1: stock to stage 2: bolt-ons to stage 3: tuned for my build. Not sure if i'll have Jason's charge pipe or throttle body in time at this point though which is a bummer but i'll definitely still do some testing for him without issue just would've been nice to get a before and after tune chart.
Couple issues. While I wholly agree that tuning with HPT can be significantly more beneficial than a canned/email tune, you have to have a REPUTABLE tuner at the keyboard. I'm not saying your buddy isn't reputable. I'm saying you NEED someone who is intimately familiar with tuning turbo Ecotec's. Put it to you this way... Speed Inc. is one of the most respected LSx tuners in the business. I wouldn't take my LS3 powered car anywhere else! They are less than 20 miles away from me. But I would MUCH rather drive 150 miles right past their shop to ZZP for my LTG powered cars, as they command the same level of respect in the turbo Ecotec world. Look at how much shit we give RPM... And they've actually tuned a bunch of LTG powered cars. "Joe Tunershop" is going to run into all the mistakes RPM makes on their tunes, plus the other issues RPM has already resolved!

Also, run another baseline once you get the car strapped down to the dyno. There are so many variables when it comes to dynoing. Weather difference being critical, but also how the car is strapped down can play a role in the number computed. This is only to help you realize your true gains.
ChicagoTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #16
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Though I agree with your view ZZP is along way away. RPM isn't even a realistic option for me for many reasons. If I was to get a virtual/laptop calibrated tune i'd go with IPF/KPE the latter has been around for ages in Europe and knows turbo tuning as well as anybody. My tuner buddy works on Focus RS's and ST's all the time as well as a few ATS's and other turbo builds so his experience isn't an issue for me. We may have better I4 tuners in my area but I don't know them and I don't trust anyone lightly with my car who doesn't appreciate every car and they flat-out admitted they only like to do imports. That being said where's your build man your a wealth of knowledge and like to share your opinions and feedback. Maybe we can all help everyone looking to make decisions and of course i'm going to get a before and after dyno run.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #17
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Though I agree with your view ZZP is along way away. RPM isn't even a realistic option for me for many reasons. If I was to get a virtual/laptop calibrated tune i'd go with IPF/KPE the latter has been around for ages in Europe and knows turbo tuning as well as anybody. My tuner buddy works on Focus RS's and ST's all the time as well as a few ATS's and other turbo builds so his experience isn't an issue for me. We may have better I4 tuners in my area but I don't know them and I don't trust anyone lightly with my car who doesn't appreciate every car and they flat-out admitted they only like to do imports. That being said where's your build man your a wealth of knowledge and like to share your opinions and feedback. Maybe we can all help everyone looking to make decisions and of course i'm going to get a before and after dyno run.
I think you've partially misread the tone of my post. My only intention was to offer you the best advice that I could. I was absolutely NOT saying to go to RPM. If you're comfortable with your guy, that's most important. I'm not trying to dog him, just saying that there are certain tables that are ATS specific. Trying to make sure you have the full knowledge to achieve your goals!

As far as IPF/KPE, that's a whole other can of worms. If you could work with IPF without KPE, I'd recommend doing that. KPE's namesake, Korker, sold the business and is no longer involved. Honestly, he just marked up other peoples parts and resold stuff. Most of his 'ideas' never came to fruition. People still hold out hope for a CTS 3.6 supercharger, even though that was only vaporware.

My build will happen once parts become available. I already have some parts in my garage ready to go! I can't make MHI crank out turbos any faster! Oh, and it's currently winter here in Chicago. It's snowed about 10 inches in the past 2 days.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:47 AM   #18
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy View Post
I think you've partially misread the tone of my post. My only intention was to offer you the best advice that I could. I was absolutely NOT saying to go to RPM. If you're comfortable with your guy, that's most important. I'm not trying to dog him, just saying that there are certain tables that are ATS specific. Trying to make sure you have the full knowledge to achieve your goals!

As far as IPF/KPE, that's a whole other can of worms. If you could work with IPF without KPE, I'd recommend doing that. KPE's namesake, Korker, sold the business and is no longer involved. Honestly, he just marked up other peoples parts and resold stuff. Most of his 'ideas' never came to fruition. People still hold out hope for a CTS 3.6 supercharger, even though that was only vaporware.

My build will happen once parts become available. I already have some parts in my garage ready to go! I can't make MHI crank out turbos any faster! Oh, and it's currently winter here in Chicago. It's snowed about 10 inches in the past 2 days.

Nope I understood your post and didn't take it as anything but you giving advice about 75% of our arguments are me and you taking things the wrong way. I do wholly agree with you on IPF it's sad that they had stateside issues they were really well liked among the 5th Gen crowd.

I also totally agree with you on being comfortable with your tuner above all and knowing he has some if not extensive experience with turbocharged/ecotec tuning. That's why I chose who I did I could went to any number of more high profile places on the east coast.

I also hear you on the snow living in New England.. we were doing so good til father winter splurged another 12 to 14 inches on us over the past da and a half. So many mods sitting on the able. At least the catch cans should arrive tomorrow.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 04-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #19
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

updated my build journal with pics of the mishi hoses and led light bar setup.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:59 AM   #20
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

*crickets*

Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 AM   #21
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Haha, bare with me... Every time I'm ready to post my build list theres things I want to change; then spend days researching them to figure if they are viable or not for my application.

I'll get an update up soon...
Like, just yesterday found a tubular exhaust manifold already made for our car when I didn't think any exsisted yet...
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #22
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Like, just yesterday found a tubular exhaust manifold already made for our car when I didn't think any exsisted yet...
where?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #23
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
2016+ 2.0T/I4 Camaro Member Build Journals

Decided to start my own journal as to not clutter up the 2.0t section with all the random crap I've got to install before hitting the track this summer... I've saved up quite a pile of nice mods over the winter months to install.

Forgot the link

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494465

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 05-09-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #24
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Yeah, I just checked it out Jason. It's gonna be fun to follow how you do. Thanks and good luck!!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #25
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Awesome added you to the first post Jason.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #26
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
where?
Sorry, just caught this Jason... Check out trs fabrication; couldn't find any pics I could copy here.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #27
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Not reading good things about TRS fab. Be careful.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #28
ChicagoTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
Sorry, just caught this Jason... Check out trs fabrication; couldn't find any pics I could copy here.
Avoid TRS Fab like the plague. He is an excellent builder, but a terrible business person. He has screwed a few members of the ATS forum out of money recently. I'll let those he screwed on this forum speak up if they wish. This is such a shame, the guy had the pedigree from working at Shearer, struck out and made a name for himself, then decided to throw it away over some short term money. Awful.