Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Do solar chargers that plug into the 12v port work?

Do solar chargers that plug into the 12v port work on this car? I am wondering if cars where the power to the 12V outlets is cut off when the car is off, still will be able to charge? My battery went dead last week and my original set of jumper cables wasn't long enough; I tried this little device I had bought ages ago that plugs into the 12v outlets of both cars to charge the battery...after a 1/2 hr of charge it didn't seem to do squat. I am wondering if a solar battery tender will be just as pointless. Any input?
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by armando416 View Post
I am wondering if a solar battery tender will be just as pointless. Any input?
Pretty much. What most people don't know is those tiny solar panels output is in the millivolts, a typically AA battery puts out more power then they do. They will work, if you leave it long enough but then again who has the time for these.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Battery float charger is a better option. Uses a small transformer.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
No, it will not work because there isn't any connection between the lighter outlet and the battery when the the key (switch) is turned off.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
beekay70

Drives: 2010 CGM SS Camaro
The solar charger is not meant to be provide the current required to start the car, rather act as a trickle charger for a car that sits for extended periods. They do not, as stated earlier, provide only millivolts. They actually provide 12 VDC, but at a very low current.
beekay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay70 View Post
The solar charger is not meant to be provide the current required to start the car, rather act as a trickle charger for a car that sits for extended periods. They do not, as stated earlier, provide only millivolts. They actually provide 12 VDC, but at a very low current.
Yeah I knew it wasn't meant to provide the power to start it. However, considering mine died on me over the span of 2-3 weeks with no driving, and I don't have a garage, it seemed like my only option. If the 12v outlet is cut off, the windshield mount isn't an option...maybe I can put it in the back and run the cable through the trunk direct to the battery. All it needs to do for me is maintain it. My only other option is to unplug the battery to avoid the drain, but then I will have to prop the trunk open just a hair to avoid having to crawl into the car through the back to re-hook the battery (GM, please put a freaking keyhole in the trunk on next years model! We can always buy a keyhole cover if we want it to look nice)
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
How could your jumper cables not be long enough? The jump posts are right inside the left front fender.

I would put a pigtail connector on it so you can plug a Battery Tender into it once in a while. No power outlets within 100 ft or where it is stored?

The solar charges aren't worth squat. VW tried using them for a while, and then threw them all away. Like mentioned before - a car battery needs amps and those things are lucky to provide miliamps. I doubt they could charge more than a calculator.

If your car has just been used for short trips and the battery never really gets a good charge - that might be why it is going dead in 2 - 3 weeks. I'd give it a long charge on a tender/trickle charger and see if that helps it last longer.

You can also avoid the trunk crawl by tieing a rope to the emergency release handle if you know the battery is going to be disconnected and you will be needing to get into the trunk. Or just hit the front jump posts with jumper cables and hit key fob - that should open the trunk.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
jonnyb

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Battery float charger is a better option. Uses a small transformer.

Sorry could not help it!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
They also don't work well in Alaska in the winter time.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
No, it will not work because there isn't any connection between the lighter outlet and the battery when the the key (switch) is turned off.
Zen is right. In the manual it says that anything plugged into the socket will not work with the key off. When the key is on ignition voltage will close a relay that connects the socket to the battery. When the key is off the relay is no longer powered and the contacts will open and break the connection to the battery so those solar trickle chargers are not really connected to anything. Dealers that are using these on stock units must be jumping the relay socket so the 12v accessory socket stays live all the time.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote