Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #15
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
I would ask you to verify that you are actually monitoring the correct Baro sensor (the added one, or the backfired data from the MAF)

On my car I am using a Banks iGauge, and it shows me both sensors to monitor, and when looking at both, you could see the delta change (both would show the same pressure at idle and low speed, but would deviate farther and farther the faster it went, up until about 100mph where it stopped climbing.

I think it is just an area of high pressure located under the hood. With the ECS kit you take all of the rubber & plastic trim out from around the radiator, core support, headlights and such so I think this could induce a lot more air under the hood than normal.

It was known with Cup cars that there was substantial positive air pressure at the base of the windshield, hence why they have their air intakes up on the cowl.
The DSX harness is supposed to block the MAF's baro wire, and instead uses the extra MAP sensor on the harness to get the baro pressure. That is the purpose of the harness, so the MAF's 'baro' reading should not be available with the DSX harness installed. Remember that with the default Paxton install having the MAF in the passenger side of the intercooler and no breakout, therefore baro reading still coming from the MAF sensor, I did report seeing variations in the 'baro' readings.

As far as airflow into the engine compartment, mine did have the same duct/shroud removals or modifications as yours, since it was the exact same kit (ECS/Paxton) as you have. I ran that setup to just over 125mph and did not see any pressure change going on like you are reporting. My sensor was mounted between the intake manifold and driver's side coil cover, tied to the wiring bundle that is there.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #16
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
awesome info in here, I also found an issue with my car, the MAF extension harness provided by procharger had 7 out of 8 pins in it. I was able to disect the 8th pin out and plug it in and it fixed the IAT issue i was having as well as my fan staying on high. I get my IAT / Baro breakout harness today and hopefully DSX sends installation instructions as I would like to see where things are best mounted before I drill into my MSD intake.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #17
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3BOOSTED View Post
awesome info in here, I also found an issue with my car, the MAF extension harness provided by procharger had 7 out of 8 pins in it. I was able to disect the 8th pin out and plug it in and it fixed the IAT issue i was having as well as my fan staying on high. I get my IAT / Baro breakout harness today and hopefully DSX sends installation instructions as I would like to see where things are best mounted before I drill into my MSD intake.

Got mine from DSX a few days ago. No install instructions. I did find out the tap is M14X1.50 and you can use a 1/2" drill bit to make the hole. Tested mine on a thick piece of plastic. We will be installing end of the month when we install full LT4 fuel, DSX E85, auxiliary low side pump, meth and converter. It will be a LONG weekend, LOL!!
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #18
MP3BOOSTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
Got mine from DSX a few days ago. No install instructions. I did find out the tap is M14X1.50 and you can use a 1/2" drill bit to make the hole. Tested mine on a thick piece of plastic. We will be installing end of the month when we install full LT4 fuel, DSX E85, auxiliary low side pump, meth and converter. It will be a LONG weekend, LOL!!
thank you for the info on the TAP, i would say the hardest / confusing part of them all was the METH kit on my end, i got a custom RPM meth kit and with no instructions those wires had me tapping out, had a shop do that for me. I plan on installing the DSX IAT / baro harness this week once i get that tap now. having the MSD intake i believe the best area would be the driver side right after the throttle body. see how it goes.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
Old 02-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #19
parbreak

Quote:
thank you for the info on the TAP, i would say the hardest / confusing part of them all was the METH kit on my end, i got a custom RPM meth kit and with no instructions those wires had me tapping out, had a shop do that for me. I plan on installing the DSX IAT / baro harness this week once i get that tap now. having the MSD intake i believe the best area would be the driver side right after the throttle body. see how it goes.

Post up how the install goes if you get a chance. I ordered the Alky Control MAP based kit. I have to say I was impressed as hell how well the kit was put together. Everything included done to wire ties and heat shrink tape.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
Old 02-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #20
MP3BOOSTED

Quote:
Post up how the install goes if you get a chance. I ordered the Alky Control MAP based kit. I have to say I was impressed as hell how well the kit was put together. Everything included done to wire ties and heat shrink tape.
i will, I might just record me doing it and post it up for reference. i was going to go alky but i didn't like its mounting on the side of the fender so i went with RPM as it seemed to be a cleaner install. If i could go back i'd go alky all the way. There was some key things missing with RPM's kit. the DSX aux pump came with crazy good instructions btw, super simple install.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:15 AM   #21
parbreak

Quote:
i will, I might just record me doing it and post it up for reference. i was going to go alky but i didn't like its mounting on the side of the fender so i went with RPM as it seemed to be a cleaner install. If i could go back i'd go alky all the way. There was some key things missing with RPM's kit. the DSX aux pump came with crazy good instructions btw, super simple install.

Yeah a video of install would be great.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #22
DapperDan

Drives: 2017 1SS A8 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
With a 3.70 pulley I assume. Should have yourself a 9 second car when dialed in
Old 02-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #23
parbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
With a 3.70 pulley I assume. Should have yourself a 9 second car when dialed in

For the moment we're going to stay with 4" pulley although my tuner says 3.7 should be fine. I want to make sure we are good on fueling first. I am still on stock cam. Also am concerned with dialing up the boost too much with stock pistons and cam.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #24
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
If you have sufficient fuel flow and your tuner doesnt go crazy with the timing you should be fine. It is large amounts of timing which cause increased cylinder pressure which causes extra heat and the lack of fuel that cause the cylinder temps to climb, once things get hot the gaps go away and that is when the rings and or pistons start to fail.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #25
parbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
If you have sufficient fuel flow and your tuner doesnt go crazy with the timing you should be fine. It is large amounts of timing which cause increased cylinder pressure which causes extra heat and the lack of fuel that cause the cylinder temps to climb, once things get hot the gaps go away and that is when the rings and or pistons start to fail.

So do you feel pretty safe at the 650 HP level with your mods? I didn't see forged internals so I'm assuming you're still SBE?
Old 02-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #26
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
For the moment we're going to stay with 4" pulley although my tuner says 3.7 should be fine. I want to make sure we are good on fueling first. I am still on stock cam. Also am concerned with dialing up the boost too much with stock pistons and cam.
You will have enough fuel to go with a 3.7 pulley. Ask me how I know.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #27
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
I was running the 3.7 pulley w/No issues on LT4 Fuel, JMS Bap and E55. Stock Cam. Boost w/headers no cats was right around 9 to 9.5psi at 6500rpm.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #28
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
So do you feel pretty safe at the 650 HP level with your mods? I didn't see forged internals so I'm assuming you're still SBE?

Yes, car has been at 650 for well over a year. If I could get to E55'ish it would make more power but for some reason the fuel system doesnt handle much over E45 without dropping below 2500psi on the high side.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote