Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
mblum

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Camaro
A10 shift hesitation on the 3-4 shift

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I participated in a roll race event yesterday and made about a dozen runs. On two of the runs I experienced a delayed shift from 3-4. The engine didn't bounce off the rev limiter but basically just sat at the shift point for a half a second before shifting.

So during this racing event the drivers agree to a speed to begin the race at, during all runs the starting speeds were between 30 and 45 MPH. So as we approached the starting point of the race while maintaining the agreed upon speed I was keeping the trans in 2nd gear by putting the center console shifter in manual mode. Once the race began and I went WOT I would put the shifter back into auto immediately so I didn't get close to redline and let the A10 do it's thing. The 2-3 shift was always perfect but on two of the runs I would experience the delayed shift on the 3-4. Every shift after the 3-4 shift was perfect as well.

I can say I've never once had an issue on the street, but when ever I do WOT throttle runs on the street I'm always letting the trans shift in auto and do not use the paddle sifters. I've made roughly 80-100 passes at the local 1/8" mile and the trans has never skipped a beat. This delay only seems to be when I do these roll race event and makes me wonder if me holding it in manual mode and then back to auto mode has something to do with it?

Luckily the two times it did it yesterday I had enough of a lead that it didn't cost me the race

Anyone else experienced this?
mblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
Exgermanowner

Drives: Bone stock
Did you record your runs and check the files for trans temps? On the roadcourse I found my car was shifting terribly by 20 mins. Trans was overfilled. My buddy instructed/helped me pull about a pint and half out and it was rock solid from then on?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
I would just leave the car in drive which is the fastest mode. Manually shifting the A-10 is not ideal for shift times.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
mblum

I had the sealership check the trans fluid level a few month back per the service bulletin.

Hastag, I agree and I did let the trans shift in auto after the race started. I was holding it in second as we approached the start line. Once I went WOT I flipped the console shifter back into auto. While racing I did no shifting manually, all of that was done in full auto. If it let it in auto as I approach the start line the trans wants to be in 4th gear (I'm going around 40 mph) and mash the throttle everyone seems to jump me off the line especially the manual guys.

One thing didn't try was getting the trans to go into performance shift mode while rolling up to the line, maybe I'll try that next time. I'm not sure how low of a speed you can get the trans to enter that mode though.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblum View Post
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I participated in a roll race event yesterday and made about a dozen runs. On two of the runs I experienced a delayed shift from 3-4. The engine didn't bounce off the rev limiter but basically just sat at the shift point for a half a second before shifting.

So during this racing event the drivers agree to a speed to begin the race at, during all runs the starting speeds were between 30 and 45 MPH. So as we approached the starting point of the race while maintaining the agreed upon speed I was keeping the trans in 2nd gear by putting the center console shifter in manual mode. Once the race began and I went WOT I would put the shifter back into auto immediately so I didn't get close to redline and let the A10 do it's thing. The 2-3 shift was always perfect but on two of the runs I would experience the delayed shift on the 3-4. Every shift after the 3-4 shift was perfect as well.

I can say I've never once had an issue on the street, but when ever I do WOT throttle runs on the street I'm always letting the trans shift in auto and do not use the paddle sifters. I've made roughly 80-100 passes at the local 1/8" mile and the trans has never skipped a beat. This delay only seems to be when I do these roll race event and makes me wonder if me holding it in manual mode and then back to auto mode has something to do with it?

Luckily the two times it did it yesterday I had enough of a lead that it didn't cost me the race

Anyone else experienced this?
Is your car completely stock, or modified?

This happened to me once on the street. There’s a thread about it somewhere on this forum. I have some minor bolt-ons (headers, intake, ported TB), but I haven’t sent the TCM in to get it unlocked. I bumped up my rev limiter 50 rpm in 3rd gear as a temporary fix. Hasn’t happened since.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
If it’s in sport or track, just leave in in Auto and give the throttle a quick blip to WOT to activate performance shift mode. It should stay in the ideal gear for long enough until the race starts.

Also ensure your trans is not overfilled. The process is KINDA a pain in the ass because you need to open the drain/fill plug when the trans is at full operating temp....209* I believe. It’s not easy to get it that hot with out some serious time beating on it (in my experience).
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
BMWM.D.

Here’s a link to the thread I mentioned:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...4+shift&page=2
Old 09-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #8
mblum

My car is completely stock.

Thanks for the input guys, I will try to get the car into performance shift mode next time I do one of these races and see if it happens then.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #9
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
The only time I've had that happen to me was when the trans wasn't warm enough, apparently. Looking at the PDR file in the Cosworth toolbox, revealed my trans temp was 130 something. My very next run, the temp had climbed to 150, and it shifted perfect. Since then, I've always made sure the trans was at least 150, and it's never done it again.

As for your roll race method, that's exactly what I do in mine, and I've never had an issue. I normally run up to the desired speed real quick, then blip the throttle to get it into performance shift mode and the correct gear, then pull it into manual until ready to start the race. I think somewhere around 40 mph is the slowest the blip will work though.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
I would just leave the car in drive which is the fastest mode. Manually shifting the A-10 is not ideal for shift times.
For tranny temp, manually shifting is preferable
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblum View Post
My car is completely stock.

Thanks for the input guys, I will try to get the car into performance shift mode next time I do one of these races and see if it happens then.
I don’t think that’ll make a difference. Like some of the guys mentioned, it’s possibly fluid temperature related. Still, it shouldn’t happen at all on a totally stock car. Sounds like GM needs to release a transmission software update for this.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #12
mblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I don’t think that’ll make a difference. Like some of the guys mentioned, it’s possibly fluid temperature related. Still, it shouldn’t happen at all on a totally stock car. Sounds like GM needs to release a transmission software update for this.
I checked out the video in your thread you had linked above and that is exactly what my car did. One thing I did not do was check trans temp. The drive to the event was about 35 minutes and my first pass was done about 20 minutes after I arrived. The first delayed shift wasn't experienced until the 3rd or 4th pass so I know the trans wasn't cold but I did not check the temp. Also I have the car at two track days and have not had a single trans issue either time.

On a side note I've been seeing some chatter on here lately about how Hellcats are faster than the A10 ZL1. At this event there were 3 stock Hellcats and one that had a mild pulley upgrade (there were also 3 that were running whipples but didn't see the point of running those

I really wanted to see how my car stacked up against a stock Hellcat, which seems to be harder to find than one would think as most are modded around here. I got a chance to race each one of the stockish ones. Two of them were M6 Hellcat Challengers on drag radials which I was able to pull about a half to one car on during a 40-115 MPH run. Another Hellcat Challenger M6 with the mild pulley upgrade was on street tires and I was able to pull about a half a car on that one. The last was a 2018 Hellcat Charger A8 and it was a very close race, basically who ever got the jump would win, neither car was pulling on each other and were basically side by side during the entire run.
So my conclusion was that the A10 can edge out the M6 Hellcat and was pretty much dead even with the A8.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
One time my car did a really weird thing, actually it did it twice...While approaching a sharp corner (5-10 MPH corner) that leads to a wide open, high speed limit road in Mexico, I manually downshifted in to 2nd and the car put it in first automatically as I rounded the corner. Once straight I mashed it (In manual mode) and the car pulled until about 4500-5000 RPM and then I almost hit the steering wheel as it COMPLETELY pulled power and the RPMs held, my foot still on the floor. I immediately let off and got back on it and it was great after that. Only did that twice. Haven't been back to test to see if it would do it again. Is that typical for traction control to be pull throttle THAT instantly and violently? It was pulling really hard and then shut down (Not literally) so suddenly that it felt like I hit the brakes. My passenger asked me why I did that...Weird.

This is only 1.5-2 miles from my house so the trans temp could have been the issue. I didn't hit the limiter and it didn't seem to spin much/at all. It was going like a stabbed rat and then just stopped. So unless the tach was just that far behind, the nannies had some sort of a problem with me.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
For tranny temp, manually shifting is preferable
I was in 105° heat up in the hills. Pushing the car hard. The Transmission would not break 205 Degrees.