Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-06-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
BigNorm4Life

Drives: 2013 Ford Fusion SE
So.. Who considering an LS3 or an LS7 Swap

I think... From what I read some people are frustrated (although nice to have) with the complexity of the LT1, the AFM, The VVT, and the big one... The Direct Injection. The aftermarket might take awhile to sort out performance numbers that are worth while... If it's worth while considering cost

Why not just swap in a more favorable engine that's more mod friendly for whatever car personality you want your SS/1LE to have and nothing is better than a Small Block V8

Mind you I don't have a Camaro yet but I think this might be a nice thread to about it

Anyone think it's worth it... You probably could get a pretty Penny for your LT1... Selling them off to performance shops so they can engineer their aftermarket parts

I don't know what's going on with the Z/28 but in a 6th gen 1LE a LS7 would just be nasty!!!! But I think for a crate engine it's $17k-$18k before ECU and modifications to fit the engine... Lol that's a used 5gen V6 DD lol
BigNorm4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The LT1 is hardly difficult compared to the previous generations. DI is a major plus of this engine.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
I would take a LS3 or LS7 over this LT BS any day of the week.

But it will take to much money and time trying to get the engine to work perfect in the new car. You are better off just enjoying your LT1 within its warranty period, then maybe think about swapping.

The LS3 was by far the best engine to come out of GM in the last 10 years. Its simple, has room to improve, doesn't have VVT, AFM, or the worse thing direct injection. Direct injection is harder to tune, more expensive to fix, and is proven to cause carbon build up over miles.

I think for me a modded LS3 is my future.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
TSloper

How is VVT a bad thing if you have the P/V clearance to utilize it? Why would you not want that knob to turn if you can get it?
Old 04-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
A 2017 1LE with a LS7 would be FANTASTIC! Aside from the obvious power advantage, the LS7 is lighter than the LT1 so that's more weight off the nose, making it better balanced.
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
How is VVT a bad thing if you have the P/V clearance to utilize it? Why would you not want that knob to turn if you can get it?
Its a great theory.

The problem is that this tech and others like it that are being put into these engines, add complexity and WILL be more expensive to fix if they break for the long term owner.

AFM liters are know to have problems later in the engine life also.

the LS3 was very simple design(compare to every mass produced engine out there). This is why so many people in general swap LS motors. they are easy to work with, and are very reliable.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSloper View Post
Don't you know all new technology is bad and it's just going to break? Just look at how badly this whole fuel injection thing turned out.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
Lucely Engineered

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6

Old 04-06-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
TSloper

Good thing no LS engines had rocker arms lose needle bearings Good thing no LS7 heads had abnormal valve guide wear.

The C7 is on its 3rd year of production and we aren't seeing anything resembling an issue with the VVT system. If you actually go look at the system it isn't that complex. You state there will be added cost for the owner if there is a failure but you dismiss the cost and complexity of swapping in a LS3 or LS7 into a platform it wasn't originally slated for? Sounds like you are just swapping one set of "potential" issues for one set of "definite" issues.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
You are complaining about DI, and wish for a LS7 which has pretty common head issues (valve guide issues/dropped valves, etc)...I'd take tossing on a catch can over needing possible major head work anyday...and I speak from experience with that unfortunately.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
TSloper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Don't you know all new technology is bad and it's just going to break? Just look at how badly this whole fuel injection thing turned out.
Give me a 4L60E with crude torque management techniques so I can rebuild it every year and know it's going to hold up. These A8s just keep on going... who can trust that???
Old 04-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
We should be taking steps forward not back. It's new and it will take time to work out the kinks.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #13
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
You are complaining about DI, and wish for a LS7 which has pretty common head issues (valve guide issues/dropped valves, etc)...I'd take tossing on a catch can over needing possible major head work anyday...and I speak from experience with that unfortunately.
What about the LS3 then ?

Its unacceptable some of the problems the LS7 had.

Its also unacceptable that my LT1 engine might need carbon cleaning at 30-40k. when you buy a new car, your car should last a reasonable amount of miles with a reasonable amount of care. I paid for 460HP, 465TQ period.

Some of the new tech is great, some of it has caused other problems.

Why would i buy a chevy product if i have such a big problem with this? because It was either I buy a corvette or it was a foreign car which all have GDI engines.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Well, everyone has their own experience and preference. My mighty LS3 in the 2010 may have been mod friendly but was not durable. After only 17000 miles the aftermarket comp cam and the lifters decided to eat each other. I learned what "pay to play" meant and it hurt. In fact after the top end was rebuilt I just couldn't enjoy the car anymore - I was always worrying about the next noise or vibration. So I sold it and went 2 years without a fun car in the garage until a Hyper Blue beauty came into my life.

I'm loving the hell out of my new LT1 including the direct injection. Even with less HP than my old modded LS3 this LT1 is impressive and just as quick. Engineers much smarter than me have spent thousands of hours sorting out the drivetrain on the Gen 6 to make it superior to the Gen 5 in every way. I'm leaving it alone.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)

Last edited by SSDan; 04-06-2016 at 02:41 PM.
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote