Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-05-2022, 06:35 PM   #1
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Tracking in the wet tomorrow, advice?

First wet track day for me in the Camaro tomorrow.

I would appreciate advice on tire psi and throttle application. Brand new Goodyear Supercar 3's on the car now. (SS 1LE)

Thank you kindly,
- Sean

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #2
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Leave it on the trailer. Not worth putting it into the wall. Had a friend wall his C7 on a wet trackday with good tread depth tires and very light throttle. I still think even if I drove 2-3 hours to a trackday and then it started raining I would still truly just leave it strapped down to the trailer.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:57 PM   #3
SATINSTEEL1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 21 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Leave it on the trailer. Not worth putting it into the wall. Had a friend wall his C7 on a wet trackday with good tread depth tires and very light throttle. I still think even if I drove 2-3 hours to a trackday and then it started raining I would still truly just leave it strapped down to the trailer.
This. I saw a GT500 make a new home in a ditch at a local track day in the wet. Brand new tires and its all totaled now. No way I'd run a rain track day.
SATINSTEEL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:01 PM   #4
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I say run it! Don't let these guys scare you away. I run track days in all weather conditions and the important part is to be smooth. As for tire pressure, if it is standing water, you want to go up in pressure to high 30s. If it is just damp or wet with no standing water you can go down to mid to low 30s. Damp or wet with no standing water, I tend to run the same pressure as dry.

Also toggle down a couple of modes on the PTM based on your skill level. Lastly, the Goodyears do suck in the wet, but if you are smooth and not a maniac, you can get thru it. I prefer to run PS4S in the rain.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #5
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Yeah, don't let people scare you. I had my first trackday in the rain at Hyperfest in my SS with about 70% tire thread left. I put it in competitive wet mode and just drove it. Car felt great. Short clip here https://www.instagram.com/p/Cdj58JzJ...aK5eFyjqAymE0/
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:32 PM   #6
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
I drove half a day with my 3Rs at The Ridge and they weren't nearly as bad as people have made them out to be - for track driving in the wet. I used WET mode in the Track setting and left the tires at the previous dry session 25psi cold. The fronts had surprisingly good grip, it was the rears in a straight line that had the biggest issue.

Everyone's comfort level is different, but I had a good time with them.

Ken
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:29 PM   #7
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Start off in PTM Wet and see if you feel confident to move on from there.

Take it easy on throttle out of the corners, and S L O W L Y build speed on the exits. Pay attention to the wet line at the track you're going to.

Wet track day is awesome for learning the limit handling behavior of the car. You get to experience under and over steer tendencies, but at lower speeds. I say do it, invaluable learning experience.

But don't try to be a hero. No lap records will be set. Build up speed easy. ANd have fun!
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:05 AM   #8
Barefoot Dave
Barefoot Dave

Drives: 2015 ZL1, 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post

I would appreciate advice on tire psi and throttle application. Brand new Goodyear Supercar 3's on the car now. (SS 1LE)

Thank you kindly,
- Sean
Advice? Take it easy and listen to your instructor. Start in PTM wet and 32 PSI cold tire pressure. With a good instructor you'll learn valuable skills in the wet that will make you more smooth (throttle and steering) and consistent in the dry. He/she will also slowly build your confidence in the wet....it's actually a blessing to start slowly in the rain. You can focus on car placement, vision and flag stations.

I instruct 40+ days a year and I learned Daytona, Watkins Glen and Summit Point Shenandoah in the rain/wet. I spent a full day instructing in a ZLE and driving fast in the rain last weekend at Pitt Race so it can be done!

Oh, and don't be worried about the GY SC3R's in the rain - I run them exclusively on my Z/28 in all weather.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
I drove half a day with my 3Rs at The Ridge and they weren't nearly as bad as people have made them out to be - for track driving in the wet. I used WET mode in the Track setting and left the tires at the previous dry session 25psi cold. The fronts had surprisingly good grip, it was the rears in a straight line that had the biggest issue.

Everyone's comfort level is different, but I had a good time with them.

Ken
Man I don’t see how. Maybe it was a light mist of a rain? I got caught on the street in a heavy rain storm. Needless to say on 3R’s I could only drive about 25-30mph going very easy on a regular road. No way I’d track with those tires on anything above a damp track.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:55 AM   #10
Barefoot Dave
Barefoot Dave

Drives: 2015 ZL1, 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post

Thank you kindly,
- Sean

Pitt Race in the rain over Memorial Day - be smart and start off easy to stay within your abilities and you'll do fine. Driving in the rain is the great equalizer - talent and abilities will will outshine the power.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2022, 08:56 PM   #11
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
dont! those tires suck!
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #12
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
LOL driving in the rain is the best time to learn car control. Please don't leave it on the trailer.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:29 AM   #13
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
I tracked my 600rwhp ZL1 1LE at mid ohio in the rain on nearly bald goodyear 3r's. As long as you can control yourself and use the wet PTM mode, you will be fine.

I am not sure if you have used wet PTM mode before, but your car is going to sound like it is running like crap since it rips so much out of the engine to prevent spinning. Don't be alarmed if your exhaust tone sounds horrible while using this mode
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #14
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
I tracked my 600rwhp ZL1 1LE at mid ohio in the rain on nearly bald goodyear 3r's. As long as you can control yourself and use the wet PTM mode, you will be fine.

I am not sure if you have used wet PTM mode before, but your car is going to sound like it is running like crap since it rips so much out of the engine to prevent spinning. Don't be alarmed if your exhaust tone sounds horrible while using this mode
And Mid-O is one of the most slippery tracks in the wet. So good to hear the 3r's did well.