Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-04-2022, 02:03 PM   #1
MWD22

Drives: Chevy Malibu
LTG PCV - adding an oil catch can

Greetings Camaro enthusiasts! I own a new Chevy Malibu that has the LTG engine, and I would like to add a catch can into the PCV system to prevent or greatly reduce carbon buildup on the intake valves. I have come here to ask a question, as the Malibu forums don't have a user base that could likely answer the question I have.

Looking at the offerings from both ZZP and Mishimoto, I don't want to buy either of those. The ZZP offering is designed for the rear wheel drive cars, and the Mishi system seems overpriced for what you get. I just want to buy a good baffled can and install it myself.

So my question is this: from the system layout on the engine it looks like the line from the PCV valve in the top of the cam cover that attached to the turbo and vents into the turbo inlet is the "dirty" side, the side where the catch can should be installed. Is this correct? The reason for my uncertainty is that the "clean side" that is fed from the air inlet tube, has a small chamber where the air enters into the line and I have read in multiple places that the chamber is a small catch can itself, that needs to be emptied at regular intervals. I have a hard time believing this, so that is why I am here to ask.

Thank you for any feedback!
Attached Images

MWD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
95TA - The Beast

Drives: 2014 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance
The LTG has more than one path for oil to enter the intake and coke the intake valves.

There is the line you pointed to, which allows oil to enter the intake before the turbo, and there is a PCV valve that is internal to the intake manifold that allows oil to enter just before the intake valves themselves.

There is a new revised PCV valve that requires you to remove the valve cover that has a reduced size orifice that was offered in 2018/2019.

Honestly, for most setups the Mishimoto works great. It takes care of the PCV valve issue without removing the valve cover as well as the intake pathway you already outlined.
95TA - The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #3
95TA - The Beast

Also, I may add, if you put a catch can on the line you have pictured, that line is not a one-way line. It is used to pull oil vapor out of the valve cover, but also used to supply fresh air TO the valvecover when there is a vacuum present.

The LTG PCV/fresh air system is quite complex, comprises 4 valves, 3 valve cover connections that are external and a set of internal connections along with a connection on the turbo as well as a connection on the intake to the turbo.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #4
MWD22

Drives: Chevy Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TA - The Beast View Post
...and there is a PCV valve that is internal to the intake manifold that allows oil to enter just before the intake valves themselves.

Thank you for the response 95TA. The partial sentence I have quoted above; are you sure about that? I know I am new to this forum, and I am not trying to be a wise-ass or a troll, but I have to ask because I have access to the complete GM published shop manual for my car and there is no indication of any such routing for PCV gasses in the description, diagnoses, or repair guides for the PCV system.
MWD22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:08 AM   #5
95TA - The Beast

Yes I am positive. If you take off the plug on the passenger side of the valve cover at the midway point (it is a allen-wrench head) you will see directly inside the pathway into the valve cover that is used to draw gases in and you can see the PCV valve itself vertically below it.

If you lookup the PCV valves for your car, you will notice one that is a stepped cylinder. That is the one that fits inside the valve cover from the bottom and requires removal of the valve cover to access it.