Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Smoked Taillight Gap Issue

I recently installed the GM smoked taillights. After installing them, I noticed large gaps (.125") between the light housing and the body on the outward sides (pic 1).

After doing some sleuthing in tight sight lines, it would seem that the two outer body holes where the housing connects to the car are not flush to the housing (pics 2-4).

The housing is not held in to the outer holes with nuts like the other 3 connecting points, instead they are held in with what I call the "orange shits" (pic 5).

When removing the old taillight housings, i used a hammer to knock out the part of the housing that the orange shits were holding in place, as I dont have the superhuman strength that Lethal Camaro has in his video to pull them out with his bare hands. I would guess that by hammering them out, I damaged the orange shits (which would happen no matter how they were removed I would think?), making them unable to hold onto the same part of the new taillight housing. I am reordering more of the orange shits, and hope that will take care of the problem. In the meantime, did anybody else run into a similar issue with their smoked taillight install? Or is this gap normal and I am being overdramatic?
Attached Images

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Following ...
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Hey man. Just changed mine. What would I do? Firmly and deliberately attempt to seat tight in the orange pieces. Then tighten carefully the thre screws down.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #4
Alanarchy

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS NGM, 2015 Murano Plt
I must have been lucky. I had a gap as soon as I installed mine. It was bothering me so pushed in the corner of of it (my left tail) and reduced the gap significantly to even notice now.
Alanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #5
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Right on. Have to seat tight before you bolt back in. Mine went seemingly easier though but think you got it right. Nudge fitment. Snug it up. Tightn down.

Last edited by Chris C 1SS 1LE; 02-14-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Clarity
Chris C 1SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
This is pretty normal. I’ve noticed it on every car with the dark tail lights ever since I installed them. I adjusted my gap with some washers between the car’s sheet metal and the light . I looked into it more and it’s the way the car is built. I confirmed this on my car by reinstalling the stock tail lights and the gap was still off. I started paying attention to all Camaros and noticed the uncongruent gap between sides on most (some were close enoughto call a non-issue).
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #7
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C 1SS 1LE View Post
Hey man. Just changed mine. What would I do? Firmly and deliberately attempt to seat tight in the orange pieces. Then tighten carefully the thre screws down.
I tried disassembling and going in without the nuts first, still wouldn't hold firm on the outside.

Since the orange shits are removable, my last resort will be to super glue them flush to the housing and reinstall, which will still let the housing be removable.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:18 AM   #8
HartfordRacingCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
This is pretty normal. I’ve noticed it on every car with the dark tail lights ever since I installed them. I adjusted my gap with some washers between the car’s sheet metal and the light . I looked into it more and it’s the way the car is built. I confirmed this on my car by reinstalling the stock tail lights and the gap was still off. I started paying attention to all Camaros and noticed the uncongruent gap between sides on most (some were close enoughto call a non-issue).
But when you reinstalled the stock ones to check (which was a great thought to make sure you had an actual issue) did you check to see if those two outer connection points were flush? What I'm saying is maybe they weren't, and you misdiagnosed it as normal because the stock ones had a gap. But they could only have had the gap because the orange things were already too damaged to hold them in place from when you took them out the first time.

The washer idea makes sense.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #9
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartfordRacingCaptain View Post
I tried disassembling and going in without the nuts first, still wouldn't hold firm on the outside.

Since the orange shits are removable, my last resort will be to super glue them flush to the housing and reinstall, which will still let the housing be removable.
Left the orange pieces where they were. Seated new lights snugly in then tightened down. No issues. Before after pics look same to me.

Fit now flush to the little rubber bump on inside of outer lip. Push slowly but firmly to seat then rotate tightening if the three nuts.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I find this post somewhat amusing. I was just watching to build a super car Camaro edition last night I will have to look back but when I saw the assembler put in the tail light he gave it a pretty good hit with his palm on the outside corner, I would assume to seat it. But I could be wrong.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Take it out and reinstall. Had this issue on mine and noticed it wasnt seated correctly. Thats what I get for installing in the garage with the doors closed.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
HartfordRacingCaptain

Tried reinstalling, still same issue. Tried putting the orange things on the male ends of the light housing, and seeing if I could even get those to clip into the body unsuccessfully. So I figured either a) I'm an idiot and not installing it correctly or b) they were made incorrectly. a) i tried multiple ways to install these, so would like to think I'm not at fault. Which leaves b). So I decided to take out the male ends, and used machine screws and my impact driver, and that reduced the space to the point where its unnoticeable.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #13
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Looks good to me. Honestly.

Last edited by Chris C 1SS 1LE; 02-19-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Spell
Chris C 1SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote