Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #1
rayruner

Drives: 16 2.0 red
valve cover whistle

Actually the whistle started after i plumbed vacuum into thr crankcase, the whistle is under the valve cover. thanks
rayruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:25 AM   #2
95TA - The Beast

Drives: 2014 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayruner View Post
Actually the whistle started after i plumbed vacuum into thr crankcase, the whistle is under the valve cover. thanks
OK, so why would you plumb vacuum into the crankcase???

Why would you mess with the vacuum/PCV system at all?

If it is hacking into place a custom catch-can system, you obviously did it wrong. Buy one of the solutions that is known to work.

To ask why something you did wrong is making noise does not make sense. Undo whatever you did, plain and simple.
95TA - The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
oemtech
17 Scat Pack/08 Corvette

Drives: 6.4L Hemi Scat Pack- 6.2L Corvette
You just hit the infamous internal pcv valve issue.

Last edited by oemtech; 10-06-2021 at 03:53 PM.
oemtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #4
rayruner

Drives: 16 2.0 red
no answer

you didn't know the answer to the question, so you just voiced your opinion.
rayruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
95TA - The Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayruner View Post
you didn't know the answer to the question, so you just voiced your opinion.
Actually, you posted a question that doesn't make sense.

My response was an attempt to clarify why you did what you did and jumped to the fact that if you don't know what you are doing, why do it?

Especially considering there are actual solutions that have done things "right".

In response to this statement, a statement of "Don't ask stupid questions after you mess up your own car" would be very appropriate here.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #6
oemtech
17 Scat Pack/08 Corvette

It's obvious that the OP does not understand how the PCV system works.

I tested 3 different Catch Can systems on my 20T ATS. The TRS and RX versions really didn't work. I tested the prototype version of the Mishimoto version that actually replaced the "internal PCV valve" which eliminated the whistle and actually collected some oil. But, it was a hose nightmare. I chucked the whole thing added a $5 check valve to the fresh air line to stop the oil intrusion to the turbo.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:59 PM   #7
95TA - The Beast

oemtech, In regards to adding a check-valve at the fresh-air line, the big issue I have with that is the fact that you no longer have blow-by gas scavenging being accomplished under boost conditions. And, ultimately, that is the BIG reason the PCV system exists is to cause a vacuum source to scavenge blow-by gasses under power, which causes the rings to seal properly and everything to work "properly".

If you put in a check-valve so that high-suction conditions under boost no longer apply a vacuum source to the crankcase you run the risk of blowing out seals and having oil seepage in other spots as there should be no pressure present in the crankcase at all, thus the reason why the PCV system is as complex as it is to begin with (ie, to provide crankcase vacuum under both no-boost, low-boost and high-boost conditions).
Old 10-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #8
oemtech
17 Scat Pack/08 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TA - The Beast View Post
oemtech, In regards to adding a check-valve at the fresh-air line, the big issue I have with that is the fact that you no longer have blow-by gas scavenging being accomplished under boost conditions. And, ultimately, that is the BIG reason the PCV system exists is to cause a vacuum source to scavenge blow-by gasses under power, which causes the rings to seal properly and everything to work "properly".

If you put in a check-valve so that high-suction conditions under boost no longer apply a vacuum source to the crankcase you run the risk of blowing out seals and having oil seepage in other spots as there should be no pressure present in the crankcase at all, thus the reason why the PCV system is as complex as it is to begin with (ie, to provide crankcase vacuum under both no-boost, low-boost and high-boost conditions).
It is my understanding that the Rear PCV valve is OUT only, the Front PCV valve is IN only and the T'd line is to provide filtered fresh air to the oil fumes mix. But under boost, the turbo overpowers the system and sucks the oil fumes into the turbo. That's why the white silencer in the intake tube has oil reside and there is coking on the intake valves. Heaven knows what is in the intercooler.

I didn't have any blown seals and only had a front seal replaced AFTER I returned the PCV system back to stock along with the stock intake tube. I had to force the dealer to replace the front seal as they said I was seepage and the was normal. I believe you will find a number of the ATS and Camaro owners who have had this problem.