Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Trifecta T40 Turbo Upgrade

As promised, I just wanted to let everyone know the outcome of the turbo upgrade Trifecta is now offering. Needless to say, this is absolutely the best upgrade you can possibility do. If you're bone stock, or full bolt on, this thing is awesome. Designed to fit the maximum size compressor and turbine wheels you can by milling out the stock housing. Trifecta has partnered with a company called Mach5 Performance to mill out, assemble and balance this new turbo offering. Mach5 is better known in the aftermarket German car market. This is going to be a true entry level turbo upgrade that comes with the calibration tune required to take full advantage of the increased air flow this thing puts out. Works totally fine with stock internals. Works even better with bolt on's, especially the JackFab/BNR Recirculation Valve (BOL).

Specs:
Stock MHI Housing
67mm Billet Compressor Wheel
Larger “HL” 9 Blade Turbine Wheel

*Coming Soon: Kinugawa Waste Gate Upgrade w/"Black" Spring. I will report back on this thread when I go back for this soon.

My initial impressions:
As expected, a very slight increase in turbo lag. The trade off is incredible torque and power over my previous dyno tune. The engine explodes with torque now and has endless pull. The car drives and feels amazing on the hwy as well. Oddly enough, It actually drives quieter now. No more lag and loud cabin drone under lode when cruising at and below 2000 RPM in 6th gear. It simply takes off lag free and drone free. That was a welcomed surprise and totally unexpected. Also, it still gets 32mpg on the hwy! WTF? Sorry, I couldn't get an actuate 0-60 time due to wet weather and the awful stock run flats I still have on the car. Spinning all over the road = 5.2 seconds Lol... I will update my 0-60 times whenever I get the chance.

My journey with Trifecta:
I feel really fortunate to live 35 miles from their main in-house dyno shop where all of their R&D takes place. The owner, Vince, has been an absolute pleasure to work with. Super smart guy that writes his own software. The best in the business IMO. His tunes are responsible, safe & reliable. I may be the outlier here having access to a personal dyno tune from the owner himself. However, he takes this data and offers it to the public through remote tuning if you're not within driving distance to their shop. If anyone cares, here is my HP & TQ journey with Trifecta so far.

Stock - 220HP/240TQ
Off the shelf "Advantage" canned tune - 264HP/287TQ
In-house "Elite" dyno tune - 284HP/311TQ
T40 Turbo w/in-house dyno tune - 337HP/385TQ

*Same dyno everytime and measured at the wheels.
Attached Images

RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 11-12-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Interesting option for sure. Thanks for sharing. Any ideal on pricing for this yet? Also, can you give any insight into the wastegate change, or why? One last question if I could, any way you could ask Vince if say a guy like myself would want to do this set up, but do his own tuning after the fact with HPTuners , if that would be possible? Thanks in advance. Nice gains from start to finish btw!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
JJ2218

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0 1LE
That looks very good! Are these for sale, or do you send in yours as a core? Do they have results from a bone stock car with turbo?
JJ2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
Start The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Interesting option for sure. Thanks for sharing. Any ideal on pricing for this yet? Also, can you give any insight into the wastegate change, or why? One last question if I could, any way you could ask Vince if say a guy like myself would want to do this set up, but do his own tuning after the fact with HPTuners , if that would be possible? Thanks in advance. Nice gains from start to finish btw!

I don't know the pricing. I'm sure it will be in the $900 range? This is just like the Turbo Bay, Turbo Parts Canada & Vermont Tuning stage 2 turbo chargers that cost between $1000-$1400 (with no calibration tune that's required).

The aftermarket waste gate with a stiffer spring is reportedly aiding in a stronger feeling power band. I'm not sure how much gains though. I'm definitely going to get it installed. You absolutely need to re-tune for it though. Stand by for that one...

I'm sure Vince would be more than happy to sell one without the tune. Contact him through the Trifecta website. They constantly monitor that site and respond right away.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Old 11-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
Start The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2218 View Post
That looks very good! Are these for sale, or do you send in yours as a core? Do they have results from a bone stock car with turbo?
Yes, these are for sale by individual request right now through their website.

As far as I know, you don't need to send your core in (I still have mine).

Yes, they have bone stock #'s but I don't remember what they were. They have this turbo on every car that has an LTG engine. From Malibu's, ATS's, Sonic's & Camaro's. I know they were all different #'s and not as high as what we got out of my car. They are going to update their website soon and I'm sure that will be posted there.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
Dude- totally props for the report! Super impressive, but too peaky for my taste.

I ran SAE corrected estimates, 458 hp @ 5252, At max torque your 120 percent of rated input to the trans. I don't know how its 'safe', but there you go.

Would love to see this flattened (325 max tq to readline) squash the power band to the edges with a rolling pin, then I'm a buyer.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #7
Start The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Dude- totally props for the report! Super impressive, but too peaky for my taste.

I ran SAE corrected estimates, 458 hp @ 5252, At max torque your 120 percent of rated input to the trans. I don't know how its 'safe', but there you go.

Would love to see this flattened (325 max tq to readline) squash the power band to the edges with a rolling pin, then I'm a buyer.

Sorry, this is over my head. Can you explain in layman's terms?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
SAE correction adds 20%.. that's a good one.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
I’m...turned on.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
wookwook

noooooo? the dyno is in 4th and its a multiplier effect. So- think of it as a bike is peddling in 4th. its a little less effort than in 5th. 5th gear is the actual 1:1 ratio where the math becomes linear. So 5th gear --- requires MORE effort. its the actual ratio of 1 to 1 from the crank via 3.27 to the Axle. If you use the AXLE torque pids then you have the drivetrain tortional stress.

Im not trying to make a point about the relative power.... Its fine for comparing a day of street tuning. It really doesn't matter. BUT- there is an ACTUAL quoted shaft torque limit with this set of gears and its 322... I wont do the home work for you.

There Must be a way to figure out the input torque on the trans right? How much derived HP does it take for this engine make to arrive at 322 ft Lbs on the input shaft of the TR 3160 with its power curve? where?

math question.

?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
wookwook

Here's at peak torque. Let us know what the TQ is at peak HP.

Name:  math.PNG
Views: 1503
Size:  59.4 KB
Old 11-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #12
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
you need to get to the track for some slips. any vids?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #13
wookwook

what he said.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #14
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
man that is awesome 117 hp and 145 tq. wow im very impressed.
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote