Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 11-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
dabomb4ever

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
SS 1LE LT1 failure, 3 weeks for backordered parts?

My SS 1LE is just over 2 years old, with 25000 miles on it. I received a check engine light with a service message to service rear axle. So I took it in on 11/8 for a warranty repair, in which i was notified that there is an issue with one of the lifters failing in the engine. They didn't even get to diagnosing the rear axle yet. On 11/12 they notified me that the damage is isolated to the lifter with light scoring on the camshaft, and they would be replacing both. I requested to look at the camshaft and lifter to make sure there weren't any metal shavings which came off and damaged the bottom end of the engine. They agreed to show me the damaged parts when the new parts arrived in 3-5 days and they resumed repairing the vehicle. Without receiving any return messages from them 7 days later, I decided to visit them in person today 11/19 to get the status of the car. They told me that a number of the parts are on backorder, specifically one of the gaskets (head or valve cover) as well as the lifter. And that it would be 3 weeks before the parts arrive.

Does anyone have access to the GM parts system to see if the LT1 lifter is on backorder? It seems like i am getting the runaround here, with an expected time of completion of a significant failure of over a month, and that doesn't even include the actual issue of diagnosing the rear axle, which I was told they will get to after they repair the engine. Should i be contacting a GM rep, or looking into buy back options? I believe since the vehicle is just over 2 years old, it is no longer eligible for California Lemon law. Not sure what my options are, looking for advice.
dabomb4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
with all the stuff going on with the strike and all that it doesnt sound that bad/long sorry man did they give you a rental car?
Old 11-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
dabomb4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
with all the stuff going on with the strike and all that it doesnt sound that bad/long sorry man did they give you a rental car?
Really, if the car were just a bit newer, this would be eligible for lemon law, no questions asked. More than 30 days for repairs doesn't seem very reasonable.

I do have to comment, the dealership did put me in an enterprise rental, no questions asked. I just didn't spend $45K to drive a 4 cyl chevy malibu.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabomb4ever View Post
Really, if the car were just a bit newer, this would be eligible for lemon law, no questions asked. More than 30 days for repairs doesn't seem very reasonable.

I do have to comment, the dealership did put me in an enterprise rental, no questions asked. I just didn't spend $45K to drive a 4 cyl chevy malibu.
The strike also effected thousands of employees working fot other outside smaller companies who also make parts for GM so im sure the strike is the reason for sure.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
I have had a hard time getting gm parts in the last couple of months. waited 10 days for some LT1 intake gaskets.
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
also it took almost 2 months to get a cruze intake instock at the dealer.
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
My car was at the dealership for 86 days waiting on parts.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:42 PM   #8
dabomb4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
My car was at the dealership for 86 days waiting on parts.
86 days...did you tires have flat spots when you got it back?

This just seems insane, the LT1 is used in multiple models. The longest ive had to wait for parts from BMW has been 7 days shipped from Germany. And that was for an engine that hadn't been in production for 10 years.

Looks like the 30 day lemon law in California is applicable for the warranty period and not just limited to 12 months/12K miles, ill start looking into that option.