Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #15
MarkZ

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keifer View Post
Do you still have audio (radio)? Can you hear the seat belt chime? If you have radio, can you adjust volume from the steering wheel controls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
This literally just happened to me.

• Volume only works from steering wheel
  • No xm channels being displayed but it plays them just fine. It displays channel 0 and radio ID?
  • Fm channels, plays 95.5 but when you hit 97.9 it goes to the different channel but display still says 95.5
  • Cant change interior light color.
  • Blue tooth is just all messed up. connects but never plays any sounds.
Going to reset the 16 fuse now, and see what happens.
Fixed. I didnt even have to remove the fuse, I just pushed down on it until it clicked. About 40% of the fuses in the box were not fully engaged.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #16
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
My display and radio died this morning. Pulled out the F16 fuse. Nothing happened. Disconnected the battery and Only the radio came back (only sound with ability to control from the steering wheel. Still no display
Old 08-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Brad009

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black on Red 2SS
F16 Display - Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
On the inside of the fusebox lid is a diagram that shows fuse positions. Look for "F16 Display" on the diagram and match it to the corresponding position in the actual box. Im not sure the amperage of the fuse i just remember the physical location designation and description labeled on the diagram.
Thanks for posting your information. I just had this problem and 2 minutes Online led me here. I pulled the F16 fuse and “voila” my display is fully functional again. Solved the issue in five minutes start to finish, including researching the issue online and posting this thank you. Awesome!
Brad009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #18
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Reviving this thread.

just a day ago my infotainment screen decided to go black (but working backlight and touch screen and radio, bluetooth etc). happened out of no where with no even remotely recent changes.

I pulled the display fuse plus any others I could think of that might be related, no help.

I pulled the battery for 9 hours (overnight). no help.

Plugged my diagnostic tool in and the telematics comunication interface control module has a couple current faults ...an internal short (B101D-f0) and internal communication malfunction (B101D-3c)

The TCICM appears to refer to the onstar module ...which shouldn't really impact the graphics appearing on the screen since you can pull the fuse on that and it doesn't impact the graphics working on the mylink screen.

No other modules are throwing errors though. Not sure if the info display module would throw one... Guess i'll have to go thru the diagostic steps in the shop manual ... seems like everyone who didn't fix it with a battery reset, ended up having the dealer just replace stuff over the course of a week.

Edit:

I pulled the passenger under-dash panel and opened the HMI ...looked and smelled perfectly fine. No blown caps or scorch marks or melted ic's or anything that would be obvious (though that doesn't mean something didn't die obviously). So I then pulled the 8" mylink screen.

Assuming that it's the lcd that died and nothing else, can I just buy a new lcd or does it have to be custom programmed to my vin or some other nonsense BS like the rest of the modules in this car? I assume if i have to get a new HMI, that I'd need to get it programmed to my specific car. Correct?
Attached Images

Last edited by cellsafemode; 11-16-2019 at 07:26 PM.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #19
cellsafemode

Purchased a used replacement display module...Same exact part number.

I dont think this module needs to be programmed with the vin

If this doesn't fix the issue, I'm out up to 200 bucks ...but the alternative is likely a 500 dollar hmi replacement ...which does require programming. Which looks like would be the only next step.

so tempted to get a gm mdi programmer/scanner tool but there is a lot of conflicting reviews regarding the chinese knockoffs and I'm not paying 800 bucks fora used supposedly legit one. Only thing that is bothering me though is that I'm not sure that even after I get such a device, if all I'd need is to get the one time download and then 1 car 24 month subscription from here https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions to do the job of retrieving and programming the right HMI software for my vehicle to a donor HMI device.

Though if all I'm planning to do is 1 thing, it would probably be better to just bite the bullet and pay gen5diy prices for a new hmi (i really dont want nor need any of the edits to the stock hmi that they do, just flashing a donor to mine....but that doesn't seem to be an option).

VIN coding modules is such a huge middle finger to customers, almost as much as making the firmware needed to make them work a subscription based service. Hopefully the people responsible for thinking that up and implementing it all die of butt cancer. the industry needs a diy 1%'er who can fund a few open universal replacements to various bcm's so there's no need for software that's not expensive because it's complex and amazing but because it's licensing proprietary ip.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 11-16-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #20
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Purchased a used replacement display module...Same exact part number.

so tempted to get a gm mdi programmer/scanner tool

VIN coding modules is such a huge middle finger to customers,
Glad to see someone is using his brain around here! I wish you good luck!
Your exact scenario is what ran through my mind when I was weighing the cost/benefits of buying the extended warranty. I was actually betting all the major modules would be VIN-linked.
I had actually read some good reviews of Chinese Tech II's. But, yep, you still need TIS2WEB access, or whatever the latest version of that is called.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #21
cellsafemode

if I end up going the route of buying programming software and passthru adapter (chinese mdi / or tech2) ... i plan on adding a middle man (in serial to the programmer) raspberry pi to sniff what it actually is doing and log it ...so i can re-run those at any future date without being shackled to a subscription.

I haven't yet asked what it would cost to get a new hmi from a dealer coded to my car a-la-cart. Assuming they would even do such a thing. I can't imagine it's more expensive than gen5diy ...which is about 900-1000 bucks. The fact that programming an hmi new or used costs 400-500 bucks (at least from a non-dealer) , is the only thing that makes dealing with AC delco's BS subscription to firmware images and the costs to their software that programs them even remotely viable.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #22
cellsafemode

I keep getting conflicting info online about if the display controller requires programming or if it comes ready to go from any donor car with a compatible part number. Does anyone know for sure?

It seems that the 2016 part number has been fully discontinued and replaced with another part number for the controller. 84229264 replaced 84229263 which replaced the original 84027345 that I have.

At least that's all that's available new. But the description says premium lighting. I do not have the thousand dollar interior lighting package. Would i have to transplant the led modules over to this one so it works with my wiring harness?

To top it off, I'm not even sure if replacing the display will fix the issue, it could be the HMI that's bad, since numerous posts mention the dealer replacing it. But why does everything work except the actual lcd if the hmi is bad? So get a used potentially incompatible display (since mine isn't available anywhere anymore) for 200-400 bucks and potentially still need to program that...or get a 400-500 dollar HMI that definitely need to be programmed (probably cheaper to have the programming done at a dealer if they'll do it and nothing else)... So a bad 30 dollar LCD screen is going to potentially cost 10 times that to fix ...or a crapped out hmi will cost probably 700 bucks for hardware that has less features, is slower and less reliable than a 200 dollar cell phone.

Sick of every single little thing having it's own firmware that's paywalled behind a subscription service that you need proprietary software to use and proprietary devices to transmit and every little piece of electronics being custom fabricated for every specific car so that even when the guts are interchangeable, they're only sold in subassemblies that aren't.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #23
cellsafemode

So, got a new HMI unit for like a thousand bucks. No dice.

Disconnected battery again for another 8 hours. No change.

The usb connectivity to my phone is no longer on an infinite loop so I am pretty sure the original hmi was messed up in some way, but it looks like my display module is bad. Not sure if the original hmi killed the display module or if something in the car killed both.

I guess i'm gonna have to purchase a new display module.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #24
cellsafemode

Apparently no gm parts distributors will sell you the display unit - it's only something that can be exchanged at a dealer.

So it looks like there's no way to avoid having to deal with the service department :(

Can't wait for that discussion.
"How much would it cost to get a new display unit for my 2016 camaro with 8" display (no interior lighting pkg) and how long will it take?"

"well, 400 + labor so 600 and we may have to hold your car for a day" etc etc or something similar

"You dont need to install anything, just flash it with my vin and give it to me, i'll give you the removed display. You can't have my car and I dont want you to flash or touch or investigate or do anything else to the car except specifically what i'm asking for."

"we can't do that"

"Why not?"

"Because we want to make sure every generation of car buyers hates owning a car a little more than the last until nobody wants to own a car and we put ourselves out of business"

"makes sense"