Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
00Form

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
anyone every have issues with the serpentine belt tensioner?

This car can be a pain in the ass.

So it seems I messed up the part where you put in the torx-50 bit but it seems good enough that it still should work. It's like it's frozen.

Any suggestions? Anyone else run into this?

I want to get the car running again. I never had any issue with the LS motors.

Thanks
00Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I am completely with you there, these new "global" type tensioners and parts on this car are a complete pain. It probably has a lot to do with using global suppliers and unifying GM products to be used everywhere. The radiator setup is a real pita as well.

Anyway, you shouldn't have to mess with the torx bit if you are trying to loosen the belt tension? You should just be able to put a 15mm I think? socket on the idler pulley bolt put a breaker bar on it and turn it down and the tensioner will compress in the down direction.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
I agree 100% on the radiator. Haven't had any issues with the tensioner though. I've got around 22k miles and have removed & reinstalled the serpentine belt multiple times. Cmitchell is correct on the belt installation technique.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
00Form

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Thanks! Thought about trying that yesterday when I went to bed.

I seem to get stuck on the stupidest things. I guess I couldn't make a living as a mechanic.

I am anxious to see how these bolt ons feel. I love the low end power of the stock car but it kind of feels anemic at higher rpms. A little worried about the loudness.

Can't complain too much though, these cars are pretty amazing off the show room floor.
00Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Form View Post
Thanks! Thought about trying that yesterday when I went to bed.

I seem to get stuck on the stupidest things. I guess I couldn't make a living as a mechanic.

I am anxious to see how these bolt ons feel. I love the low end power of the stock car but it kind of feels anemic at higher rpms. A little worried about the loudness.

Can't complain too much though, these cars are pretty amazing off the show room floor.
I also completely agree with you there, I do some stupid things also. I have an engineering degree and have worked on stuff all my life, but I will continue to do the dumbest things. I spent days trying to get my trans cooler and pcv lines back on and they wouldn't snap on, until I realized they were already on.

I think a good mechanic is someone who is patient and has a good attention span, someone who stops and gets the right tool instead of messing with something for an hour only to end up breaking it just because you didn't want to crawl out from under the car again.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote