Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross


BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2023, 08:34 PM   #15
Christian1LE
 
Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: NC
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Run them at 24-26PSI cold pressure. Normally you would want to run them MOUNTED with the LETTERS IN because typically they made laps with the LETTERS mounted to the OUTSIDE as is the sponsors requirement usually

Dont let them get above 32PSI Hot pressure. Typically there will be a 6PSI difference between cold pressure readings and hot pressure readings. In SUPER HOT summer conditions I have seen as much as 10 PSI difference. These will be a little quicker than GYSC3R tires but will last considerably longer. They LIKE alot of NEGATIVE camber. I run -3.7 front and -3.0 rear.

They will heat cycle out BEFORE you will see those wear indicators disappear so ALWAYS check them after a track day. I usually get 3-4 full track days out of a set.
You mention that they will heat cycle out before the wear indicators disappear. What exactly are you checking for after a track day then?

Wouldn't the grip just go away and that's when it's time to change them? What other queues do you use to know they are done? Wouldn't you just count the heat cycles?

Lot's of questions I know, I'm getting mine mounted tomorrow.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:17 PM   #16
Pollock
LT4 M6
 
Pollock's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
You mention that they will heat cycle out before the wear indicators disappear. What exactly are you checking for after a track day then?

Wouldn't the grip just go away and that's when it's time to change them? What other queues do you use to know they are done? Wouldn't you just count the heat cycles?

Lot's of questions I know, I'm getting mine mounted tomorrow.

I get roughly 6 to 10 sessions out of a set. Depends on the track. When I see cords I change them.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:57 PM   #17
sr71bb

 
sr71bb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
You mention that they will heat cycle out before the wear indicators disappear. What exactly are you checking for after a track day then?

Wouldn't the grip just go away and that's when it's time to change them? What other queues do you use to know they are done? Wouldn't you just count the heat cycles?

Lot's of questions I know, I'm getting mine mounted tomorrow.
Well I usually go by monitoring my lap times. If I know for instance I normally run 1.17 a lap and then it gets to where I am in the 1.18's to 1.19's then its getting time to change them out. Sometimes you cant feel the loss in grip but lap times dont lie. If you are running scrubs you dont really know how many heat cycles the tires had to begin with so counting heat cycles is not that accurate either.
__________________
__________________________________________
Current FAST LIST record Holder ECR Post#1990
2019 SS 1LE BIG NA A10
https://youtu.be/F732ykI03Zs

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro
1969 Camaro
1969 Camaro RS SS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:28 PM   #18
Christian1LE
 
Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: NC
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Well I usually go by monitoring my lap times. If I know for instance I normally run 1.17 a lap and then it gets to where I am in the 1.18's to 1.19's then its getting time to change them out. Sometimes you cant feel the loss in grip but lap times dont lie. If you are running scrubs you dont really know how many heat cycles the tires had to begin with so counting heat cycles is not that accurate either.
Mine were written on the tire so I have a good idea. But thanks for the info, times is a good one to go by. I just got finished mounting the tires. The slicks + Apex wheels 18x11 are 20lbs! lighter than OEM, almost 22 lbs I think on the rear. From about 60 to 40. These are 325/660.




Last edited by Christian1LE; 01-25-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:40 PM   #19
carguy55

 
carguy55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,358
Where did you buy from?
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:56 PM   #20
Christian1LE
 
Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: NC
Posts: 355
Was lucky enough to be able to get them from a friend.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:32 PM   #21
Trackpack
 
Trackpack's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LE
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Iowa
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
I get roughly 6 to 10 sessions out of a set. Depends on the track. When I see cords I change them.
This is exactly how I have handled used slicks for more than 20 years. I focus
on getting the most out of consumables. This takes effort in rotating brake pads and tires to get the most even wear. It also requires a precise alignment and a tire pressure regimen. I find slicks to be gradual in nature (they gradually come up to temp (traction) and gradually lose grip (time)). It's pretty easy to tell when the last millimeter of rubber rubs away and the cords are showing.
Trackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.