Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Wheels and paint -maint wash in 16 min!

In another thread a member expressed amazement that a few of us said we could maintenance wash our cars with Rinseless in 15 minutes or less. However there's a few things that you have to have done before you can do this. The first is you need a good hard seal on the car. Wax won't do it, you need something that is set up so the dirt sits on top of it and not down attached to the paint. The new silica products from carpro do that very well. Carpro Hydrofoam , Essence and Reload to name 3. McKees and Gyeon are other players in the silica arena.

In order to do the wheels quickly you also need a hard seal on them, like reload. Something allows the brake dust to sit on top instead of embedded. Also I don't think you could do this in 15 minutes with the standard SS brakes, they're just too dusty. I have the LT brakes which don't dust, so an SS owner would need,powerstops to make this work. Add 10 to minutes to this if you have dirty Brembos, you need to hand agitate the wheels as an interim step.

From start to finish it's very easy how to do this. do a Rinseless with 6 towels and one drying towel, that took about 11 minutes. Std Garry dean procedure: Pull a towel from the rinse sopping wet , wipe two panels , discard towel and move on with new towel, dripping wet. Wipe dry one pass with Korean weave drying towel.

But here's what makes the wheels quick. Earlier this month I wrote about buying a portable sprayer to go along with my worx blower and with the remaining rinse in the bucket, use the Hydroshot to power spray the wheels hard with a 15° spread, there's plenty of rinse left to do that. Then switch the battery over to the blower and blow dry. All this still standing up! Each wheel is a min or so. Car done. I'll post pictures tomorrow, but they're like the rest of my pictures, the car is clean. So that's how you get it done and 16 minutes with the wheels. Also since I moved to a true tire Coat, not a dressing, I only have to mess with the tires every three months.

Search here for WORX To see my other post about the hydrashot.

And note this is a maintenance wash, not a full-blown detail of the grill and adding a drying agent, quick detailer and getting every nook and cranny. This is to get the car going down the road looking good w/ no bugs and great gloss.

And let me say if you're the type that loves to slave over your car, and it's good therapy, good for you. I used to be the same way too. But that got old for me. I have other things to do. My back just can't take that type of commitment anymore. And with the new silica products, you don't sacrifice anything by moving fast.

Last edited by Glen e; 09-15-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Good writeup Glen...another tip I will add is that as long as your wheels are coated/sealed, take a dry MF wheel towel and wipe down dry everytime you drive the car. I do this everytime I am finished driving for the day, takes at most 10 mins for all 4 wheels, dust wipes right off. My wheels have Hydro2 and Reload on the barrels...then when it comes time for a rinseless wash, wheels are very clean already, takes a few mins to clean up real quick. For me spending 10 mins to wipe down quick saves a lot of time and headaches...and BTW I have the OEM Brembos with the OEM pads on my SS.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #3
Glen e

Agreed Dan, I still am undecided about how Hydrofoam works into the rotation, I seem to get it all done with Ech20. But maybe Hydrofoam in the sprayer soap tank?, then rinse with clear water in the sprayer? Dunno....more deliberation needed. Ech20 sprayed hard worked well though....Ech20 may be the most significant product I've used...ever....ill ask Corey @ Carpro about this....

Last edited by Glen e; 09-14-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:44 AM   #4
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I've been using Hydrofoam on the wife's car doing a 2 bucket wash. It's very high gloss and slick. I have wondered if I could use it as a rinseless.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
I couldn't even do my 1LE wheels/tires/brakes properly in 15 mins.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Agreed Dan, I still am undecided about how Hydrofoam works into the rotation, I seem to get it all done with Ech20. But maybe Hydrofoam in the sprayer soap tank?, then rinse with clear water in the sprayer? Dunno....more deliberation needed. Ech20 sprayed hard worked well though....Ech20 may be the most significant product I've used...ever....ill ask Corey @ Carpro about this....
Yeah Ech20 is one of those products that comes along and impresses the crap out of me! So versatile, I don't feel the need for anything else, it does it all.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
I've been using Hydrofoam on the wife's car doing a 2 bucket wash. It's very high gloss and slick. I have wondered if I could use it as a rinseless.
I wouldn't use Hydrofoam as a rinseless, it needs foaming to activate.

You only need to use it once every 3 months.

For two bucket maintenance washes, use Carpro Reset, for the pre/foam and rinse. After foaming let it dwell 2-4 minutes (don't allow it to dry), in the shade on a cool surface, and rinse.

This will loosen all the stuck on dirt and road film without removing the Hydrofoam. You'll have very little dirt left to clean off the car.

After you two bucket wash the car and rinse, a quick pooling rinse will leave very little water left to dry. Hydrofoam is highly hydrophobic.

I highly recommend the Microfiber Madness Incredimitt for 2 bucket washes. It's expensive at $25. But it lasts a very long time. I have over 200 uses on mine and it still performs as new.

If you want to add protection doing a rinseless, mix up some "Merlin's Magic Elixer".

In a spay bottle mix up 14 oz. distilled water to 1 oz. ECh20, and add an ounce of Reload.

ECH20 has a small amount of silica in it, but not much, less than 1%. Reload is 5% silica so will add a boost to the protection.

After you have used the wet towel soaked in rinseless, spray the solution on the cleaned area and dry as usual.

When using rinseless on wheels, use a separate bucket and designated towels. You don't want to use towels on paint that you use on wheels, brake dust is abrasive. Wash/store separately as well.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 09-15-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #8
Burly

My hydrofoam 2 bucket wash starts with Reset in the foam canon, let dwell, then rinse. Then hydrofoam wash.
I've used the hydrofoam twice in about 3 months, in between its been Echo2 rinseless washes.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #9
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
My hydrofoam 2 bucket wash starts with Reset in the foam canon, let dwell, then rinse. Then hydrofoam wash.
I've used the hydrofoam twice in about 3 months, in between its been Echo2 rinseless washes.

Be sure to do a pooling rinse after you wash/rinse. You'll remove 80-90% of the water on the car, making it much easier/faster to dry.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Glen, what product are you using/recommending to use for rinseless now? One of your older write-ups had suggested Duragloss rinseless. What about today? I have some Duragloss left from prior use and just bought some new bottles of Echo2 and Reload. Just not sure of which one or which combo to go with. Thanks

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
Glen e

Carpro ech20.. it says waterless on label , but can be mixed for rinseless no prob. 1.5 oz with 3 gal water....

Old 09-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Carpro ech20.. it says waterless on label , but can be mixed for rinseless no prob. 1.5 oz with 3 gal water....

Thank you!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #13
jaysonstuart

I haven't graduated to rinseless yet, but I have kicked the 2nd bucket in my wash method.

I mix up my wash soap and use about 10 thick microfiber towels per wash. I use one on a panel then pitch it to be washed later and so on. Seems to work well and has sped up my wash process without having to deal with rinsing the wash mitts over and over again.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #14
Glen e

Absolutely....The Garry dean method (see YouTube) is not about rinseless per se, it's a wash procedure -->get rid of the second bucket, grit guards, old mitts etc.

But you can cut your microfiber amount down some, a sopping wet microfiber holds enough water that you can do two panels easily…without scratching....per towel.