#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
Macaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
ZL1 1LE and extended warranty

Hello,

I was lucky enough to get one of the very first ZL1 1LE's so mine is now just a few days from factory warranty expiration. Can't believe it's been 3 years already! Anyway I'm considering the purchase of the Extended Warranty and I'm interested in feedback from you guys.

My biggest concern is that the ZL1 1LE has a "track" warranty - will the extended warranty continue this or will the dealer's void the protections because of how I choose to use the car?

The other thing tempering my enthusiasm is that I can't seem to find a good dealer at all. Many of the local dealers cancel my appts after I make them online if my questions or issues mention "track." This just happened last week when I tried to schedule a track alignment at a local dealer. I was told they didn't have the equipment needed and to "refer to the dealer who sold me the car." Which was crazy because I know this dealer has also sold ZL1 1LEs.

Anyway, if you have feedback, I'd welcome it.

Thank you,

DM
Macaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:24 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Stay away from extended warranties... just enjoy your car and take it to a preferred shop in your area especially since your dealership seems to have no clue.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
There's a post on here from a member that gives details on a dealer you can call and get a factory extension on your car. Pretty reasonably priced too.

Edit: here's the post with the details
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...anty+extension
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
There's a post on here from a member that gives details on a dealer you can call and get a factory extension on your car. Pretty reasonably priced too.

Edit: here's the post with the details
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...anty+extension
Old 05-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Isn't your powertrain warranty for 60k miles and 5 years ?
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
Isn't your powertrain warranty for 60k miles and 5 years ?

Not on ZLE, its only 36k - 3 years.

mine is up in a few months as well...

the extended plans the dealer is selling excludes track cars.

INELIGIBLE VEHICLES

*Vehicles are ineligible if used for commercial purposes (unless the Manual Commercial Use surcharge is selected and marked on the Registration Page), which includes but is not limited to: farming or ranching, vehicles used for government purposes, pick-up and delivery service, company pool use or business travel when the vehicle is used by more than one driver, deliveries, service or repair calls, route work, snow removal, job site activities.

*Vehicles used in the following manner are excluded from all coverage’s:

*Towing/wrecker service, road repair operations.

*Vehicles used for competitive driving, racing on-road/off-road or principally off-road use, whether or not the vehicle is licensed for commercial purpose.

*Vehicles used for taxi, livery, rental, limousine or shuttle.

*Vehicles with non-standard equipment installed specifically to facilitate commercial use.

*Vehicles modified for racing, off-road, fire services or fire service, or other performance or emergency use.

*All “Grey-Market” vehicles (include vehicles imported from Canada on which the manufacturer has nullified their own manufacturer’s warranty.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #7
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
My suggestion if you get one is to verify it's a GM specific one. Any of those other 3rd party warranties I have dealt with have found nothing but excuses not to pay. Especially when it's a high dollar issue. Read the BBB and customer testimonials. You'll read all kind of horror stories where the 3rd party company makes the dealer tear apart the engine to find the most minute possibility that it's not a warranty issue. Then you're stuck with the labor charge to tear apart the engine and the warranty company walks on you!. It's a complete sham. Be careful also that some Chevrolet dealers have entered into agreements with these 3rd party warranty companies (i.e. MasterTech) and it's not GM specific. GM tends to be much more likely to cover your warranty. Find a dealer that sells a GM warranty. Caveat emptor!
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Not on ZLE, its only 36k - 3 years
For real?!
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Extended warranties are one of the biggest scams, regardless of who is backing it! Here is a better idea, take the money you where going to use for the extended warranty and use it for a down payment on a new ZLE! Warranty issue solved for another 3 years.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
For real?!
Not for real.

ZLE is no different than any other Camaro. 5 yr 60k for powertrain.

3 year 36k is bumper to bumper
Old 05-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #11
Ch1

Drives: 19 ZLE M6 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Extended warranties are one of the biggest scams, regardless of who is backing it! Here is a better idea, take the money you where going to use for the extended warranty and use it for a down payment on a new ZLE! Warranty issue solved for another 3 years.
I wouldn’t necessarily call it a scam, it depends greatly who you getting it from. Had third party warranty for a mercedes suv, was quite an issue getting claims approved, but i had Ford extended warranty pay for a brand new engine and labor on a 2016 Fusion with 90k with a deductible of 100$, warranty itself cost me 1k
Ch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I'm with Mike on both counts. An extended warranty is not for me.

With that said; GM has been hounding me to purchase an extended warranty of varying lengths at a $500 discount since last October. The link may be expired at this point but if you are interested, here you go.

https://www.chevrolet.com/protection...7c5e77dcb06f5#
Old 05-31-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I bought a used 2012 ZL1 Auto. Didnt notice the minor rattle in the blower snout. Extended warranty saved me $9k out of pocket for a new blower and a new exhaust for failed valves at 58k miles (standard car issues, not aftermarket). Cost was $1180. To each his own. Do you HAVE to have it, no. If you buy one, get the one associated with the company who made the car (NOT fidelity bs aftermarket), but yes they have value if you can price shop them right. Check online sales for wholesale warranties through licensed dealerships, incredibly cheap compared to walking into a dealer. If you dont use it, its prorated to cancel, maybe 200-300 bucks over a few yrs total cost with the rest refunded. Thats cheap insurance to me. If you mod, dont waste the money imo.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #14
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundNemo View Post
I bought a used 2012 ZL1 Auto. Didnt notice the minor rattle in the blower snout. Extended warranty saved me $9k out of pocket for a new blower and a new exhaust for failed valves at 58k miles (standard car issues, not aftermarket). Cost was $1180. To each his own. Do you HAVE to have it, no. If you buy one, get the one associated with the company who made the car (NOT fidelity bs aftermarket), but yes they have value if you can price shop them right. Check online sales for wholesale warranties through licensed dealerships, incredibly cheap compared to walking into a dealer. If you dont use it, its prorated to cancel, maybe 200-300 bucks over a few yrs total cost with the rest refunded. Thats cheap insurance to me. If you mod, dont waste the money imo.
EXCEPT... the issue you describe was already covered by the original factory warranty.
Known problem and GM extended the warranty on their own for this one.