Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #15
zedts1986

Drives: 2024 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Don't do it. Waste of money that you'll end up replacing with a real tune anyway. Been saying that since day one even Wook came to the light.
RaceChip user here (both the GTS and XLR throttle controller). They're nice, but they're incredibly limited. I also had several issues at the onset and only still have it on my car because I was refunded entirely for the issues that I had. I'm fully expecting to upgrade to a "real" tune shortly. There are a few good threads on here talking about it. Good beginner step if you can find a cheap one.

Old & Sold: 2019 Camaro 1LT M6, RaceChip GTS, RaceChip XLR, ZZP Catted downpipe, JacFab Boost-o-lator, K&N drop-in air filter, ZZP Intake Tube, PTP turbo blanket, NGK 6510s gapped at 0.022"

Motorcycle enthusiast
zedts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #16
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
While he isn’t tuning my Camaro, I can definitely vouch for Brian at Vermont Tuning. He tuned a few turbo SAABs for me over the past few years and was a pleasure to work with.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #17
zedts1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
While he isn’t tuning my Camaro, I can definitely vouch for Brian at Vermont Tuning. He tuned a few turbo SAABs for me over the past few years and was a pleasure to work with.
I actually sent him an email this morning. I live about 7 hours away and would not mind driving out there and spending a weekend this summer having it tuned in person, on a dyno. Just down the road from one of the best beer cities in the country, as well...

Old & Sold: 2019 Camaro 1LT M6, RaceChip GTS, RaceChip XLR, ZZP Catted downpipe, JacFab Boost-o-lator, K&N drop-in air filter, ZZP Intake Tube, PTP turbo blanket, NGK 6510s gapped at 0.022"

Motorcycle enthusiast
Old 05-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #18
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I love the VT shop, by looking at the pictures. It will be nice to see the results, its time for some better reports on tuning efforts on LTG. If I ever get the E85 bug, seems like one to keep on the checklist.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #19
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
My initial tune was done by Brian @ Vermont tuning, waaaaayyy before I ever even bought HPTuners. Its all documented in my build thread. Very smart, knowledgeable guy on small displacement DI FI applications. Expect similar results along the lines of ZZP's as far as power levels go. You are also stuck with EFI Live, unless your willing to start all over again at a later date, once you realize you want more.. Choose your first move wisely.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #20
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
I can't understand why anyone would choose Vermont based on their practice of locking the tune. Seems silly to me that anyone would invest in something that they could never manage themselves and be forever locked into one vendor. Imagine if VT closes down - you'd have to either keep the tune you have with them forever as-is (no ability to update it for new mods), or pay another tuner to start all over again.

But, people buy non-repairable or upgradeable Apple laptops, so i guess it's commonplace...
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #21
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekes1 View Post
I can't understand why anyone would choose Vermont based on their practice of locking the tune. Seems silly to me that anyone would invest in something that they could never manage themselves and be forever locked into one vendor. Imagine if VT closes down - you'd have to either keep the tune you have with them forever as-is (no ability to update it for new mods), or pay another tuner to start all over again.

But, people buy non-repairable or upgradeable Apple laptops, so i guess it's commonplace...

I can tell you that for me, the ONLY reason I did initially, was because it was the only option to get flex fuel, period. You are so right with all of that. Basically any tuner using EFILive, is 98%, locking your tune..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #22
zedts1986

Quote:

I was unaware of that practice, but nice attitude.

Motorcycle enthusiast
Old 05-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #23
wookwook

It just seems to me that ppl are so guarded on the tuning, they don't want to be questioned, criticized and scorned. You can get a good basic tune from ZZP and read it study it probably publish it up and they probably wouldn't care much, and I don't know why the negative commentary. You shouldn't take them ( any tuner shop) to task because they set the limit as far as willing to deviate from their faith in the safety of the product, or simply - just elect to not support remote tuning for anything more advanced that should be looked at in-house. If your at all looking to kind of build as you go, which is actually the Fun part, there is a lot to like about HP tuners and if your not into the tech now, no big, some day... ya just might see some article and wonder, "hows my AFR doing, hows my STFT, whats my crank torque? etc... My argument is if have to depend on a third party that's fine, and you do yourself a great service by have at least a conversational knowledge. Then they respect you have put effort into some insight and possibly treat you better. But a Great company shouldn't have to be watched. More like being in the delivery room analogy.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 05-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #24
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Brian can tune you in house with HPTuners and won't lock it just an FYI.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #25
dekes1

Drives: Camaro like
Most enthusiasts respect and appreciate that the tuner creates something that should be considered private and not shared around. If you look at the HPT tune repository you virtually never see anyone sharing commercial tunes unless granted permission by their tuner.
Not saying that tune stealing doesn't happen, just that its not that common. So I see no basis for a tuner wanting to force locks on their tunes.
dekes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #26
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Oh wow...havent heard short term fuel trim in a while. I know that plays in your air fuel ratio O2 sensor, but you have to consider that your MAF built in with ambient air temp sensor plays a role into that supposed achievable 12lbs of air to 1 lb of fuel ratio (rich condition during wot).

Since our engines are direct injected, that means our B1S1 is a wideband vs narrow band? Wideband has a huge role in tuning options compared to narrow band.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #27
wookwook

Bingo. if you check factory AFR at wot is super rich like .82 Lambda or like 11.5 AFR though. Ecu is all set to plug and play tune edits. Makes it super easy to get started. This makes the LTG different than using the LS type tuning methods though. The difference being you don't use Trims to calibrate, you use O2 error or delta straight from the WB.

I usually do most of my final touch ups in spring and fall (nearest SAE conditions), I have a minor touch up to finish the MAF curve using MW spray at WOT. Still acceptable for a rough in from early spring temps.

The Trims are the fuel auto adjust Like you said, in the end whatever fueling is needed is managed by the WB and pulls the gas side as needed, on the fly, as burnable WM is consumed.

So using WM and leveraging that cooling effect, I have logged definite KR killing results with the spray. Also it should be having a the similar cooling effect as a rich mix, without expending extra fuel to control heat, (I use water).

Getting to the neighborhood of 2 percent fuel error is still really good, but you can get it super precise. So managing the MAF calibration drives getting the fueling correct. which is 2/3 of the tuning, air/fuel and other 1/3 being spark and killing KR.

Name:  sprye.PNG
Views: 423
Size:  85.2 KB

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
Old 05-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #28
wookwook

Quote:
Most enthusiasts respect and appreciate that the tuner creates something that should be considered private and not shared around. If you look at the HPT tune repository you virtually never see anyone sharing commercial tunes unless granted permission by their tuner.
Not saying that tune stealing doesn't happen, just that its not that common. So I see no basis for a tuner wanting to force locks on their tunes.

Totally. The point is, there really isn't a magical setup that is so secret that it isn't already out there, its just in a million different places. Yes there are bits of secret sauce I am sure, but with what you can get out of the stock turbo, no crucial coding tricks that are absolute make or break edits come to mind. that's the point. A basic tune is... pretty basic.

NFG M6 2T

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106