Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
Sthumpe

Drives: Camaro ss (16)
Need fitment help for 2017 2ss

hey guys I got a 2017 2ss this past year. I'm wanting to squeeze some 315/35/20's under the rear and 275 or 285/35/20 in the front. I've been searching for says trying to understand or find out what offset I need to make this happen. I just don't know what I'm trying to understand haha. Found guys that had 315/30/20 with a 5 mil spacer. Is there a way to fit my tire under the car without a spacer? Or should I just buy the spacer and do it that way? I appreciate the help. Also the car is not lowered and will not get lowered
Sthumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Two things:
  • Are you talking about putting these tires on your stock 8.5/9.5 wheels? Because that's a bad idea if you are. Those tires are way too wide for wheels that narrow. So you'd want 1LE-sized wheels for those tires (10/11).
  • The 315/35/20 is 28.7" tall, which is 1.2" taller than your stock 275/35 rears and 1.5" taller than 1LE rears. It's likely to rub the fender liner, it will hurt cornering and braking by raising your roll center and CG, and it will effectively give you a taller gear ratio. This is not going to be a good fitment. Why not go with 315/30?

I wouldn't think you'd need a spacer for inside clearance. The 1LE rear wheel is 1.5" wider and actually has 4mm more offset with a 305 tire, so if that clears the inside then a 315 on an SS rear wheel ought to clear the inside okay.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
Sthumpe

Drives: Camaro ss (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Two things:
  • Are you talking about putting these tires on your stock 8.5/9.5 wheels? Because that's a bad idea if you are. Those tires are way too wide for wheels that narrow. So you'd want 1LE-sized wheels for those tires (10/11).
  • The 315/35/20 is 28.7" tall, which is 1.2" taller than your stock 275/35 rears and 1.5" taller than 1LE rears. It's likely to rub the fender liner, it will hurt cornering and braking by raising your roll center and CG, and it will effectively give you a taller gear ratio. This is not going to be a good fitment. Why not go with 315/30?

I wouldn't think you'd need a spacer for inside clearance. The 1LE rear wheel is 1.5" wider and actually has 4mm more offset with a 305 tire, so if that clears the inside then a 315 on an SS rear wheel ought to clear the inside okay.

So I would be buying mmr 228 10/20 and 11/20 rims for new said tires. I have a 2ss not a 1LE does that matter?

I was watching lethal camaro videos of YouTube. He added 315/30/20 and 285/35/20 with a lowering kit. Figured if I kept the stock height I should be fine? I want to run atturo tires instead of paying 400 a tire in my area. Apparently lethal had to move the wire harness in the driver rear wheel well liner and add a 5mm spacer to clear. This is a weekend car. No drag, no track.

Thanks for the help man
Sthumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthumpe View Post
So I would be buying mmr 228 10/20 and 11/20 rims for new said tires. I have a 2ss not a 1LE does that matter?
That's good - that eliminates my first concern. A regular SS and an SS 1LE have the same fenders, so the fit should be the same if you get the 1LE offsets.

Quote:
I was watching lethal camaro videos of YouTube. He added 315/30/20 and 285/35/20 with a lowering kit. Figured if I kept the stock height I should be fine? I want to run atturo tires instead of paying 400 a tire in my area. Apparently lethal had to move the wire harness in the driver rear wheel well liner and add a 5mm spacer to clear. This is a weekend car. No drag, no track.

Thanks for the help man
The problem with a 315/35 is you're adding width and aspect ratio. It's not just a little taller, but a lot taller than the stock 1LE 305/30. I would have though you could get away with a 315/30: it's only 0.2" taller and 10mm wider (5mm extra width on the inside). If he had issues with that, then the 315/35 is really going to cause issues because it's 1.5" taller! I don't think ride height matters much, because it's likely to rub in the front of the well, not the top. I get what you're saying about pricey tires, but it's not a bargain if they rub and cause problems. You can get a new set of OE Goodyear Supercar 3 tires right now for a pretty good price, since they are closing out. And we know those fit.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:49 AM   #5
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthumpe View Post
hey guys I got a 2017 2ss this past year. I'm wanting to squeeze some 315/35/20's under the rear and 275 or 285/35/20 in the front. I've been searching for says trying to understand or find out what offset I need to make this happen. I just don't know what I'm trying to understand haha. Found guys that had 315/30/20 with a 5 mil spacer. Is there a way to fit my tire under the car without a spacer? Or should I just buy the spacer and do it that way? I appreciate the help. Also the car is not lowered and will not get lowered
OK just a thought here but if you are going to change out wheels anyway I would go with a 19 inch wheel instead of a 20. I realize the MMR 228 doesnt come in 19 inch but they will definitely make the car handle better compared to a 20 inch wheel and they will be lighter. The MMR wheel no doubt is a good bargain around 330 a wheel but APEX for instance is around the same price point and is an awesome wheel as well.

TECHNICALLY the SS and SS1LE do have the same fenders BUT the non LE SS will have a little more room to the INSIDE of the front fender wheel because most of them DONT have MAG RIDE. The MAG RIDE strut is BIGGER at the top of the strut which can cause clearance issues with wider wheels, For example: I run 305 30 19 michelin sport tires on all four wheels using APEX SM10 19 x 10.5 wheels with ET22 offset and that particular combination would NOT work on a SS Camaro on the FRONT with MAG ride because there wouldnt be enough clearance to the INSIDE of the wheel. TECHNICALLY you could use a spacer on the front to give enough clearance BUT then the tire would be pushed OUTSIDE the fender by about 10MM resulting in TIRE POKE

Now technically I could run a WIDER wheel on the rear using a wider tire BUT I would have to to use a wheel with a different offset but that would defeat my goal of having a rotatable wheel/tire combination. Almost all the wheel vendors produce a wheel have the proper offsets for our cars . A great starting point for what fits our cars is a fitment guide that APEX has on their website which can be used to help provide fitment information for ALL vendors wheels and not just theirs.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

In Apex's case, the ARC8 wheel is a specific fit Camaro wheel that has the proper offsets. You can use the other styles however by using camaro concentric rings and by utilizing alignment specs that are more aggressive like more negative camber once you get into the WIDER wheels that are NOT ARC8's
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 05-15-2020 at 07:44 AM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote