Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
Mike90

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2.0T
CAI Check Engine Light

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm looking to order a CAI for my 2018 2.0T. Most likely going with ZZP's CAI. Not really looking to add power with this mod, but just looking to increase the turbo noises.

My question for you guys is, is it likely that I will get a CEL with just an intake?

I'm not looking to tune for a while, a few years at least. It would be the only mod on the car. If anyone has any experience with ZZP's CAI on a 2018, I would greatly appreciate if you could provide some insight.

Thanks!!
Mike90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
kurmaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS
I have a Mishimoto CAU. Although they say it doesn't throw any codes, it does for me (just a O2 code and something about bank 1 or 2).

The light comes and off periodically. Sometimes it pops back up within a day or two, and sometimes it comes on once a month.
kurmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
JWJB

Drives: 2018 Camaro
I have a 2018 with the ZZP intake as well as several other ZZP mods. I have not had any problems with it!
JWJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #4
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
My camaro after I installed the intake threw a Baro sensor, cleared it with my bluetooth scanner and never came on again. Just double check your connections before firing it up.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
I know on the V-8 CAI, if you dont line the maf sensor up the correct way, there can be a chance of a cel code, the instruction say to line it up dot to dot.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
zedts1986

Drives: 2024 2SS 6MT
No experience with the CAI, but with the K&N drop in and the catted DP the sound is much more pronounced.

Old & Sold: 2019 Camaro 1LT M6, RaceChip GTS, RaceChip XLR, ZZP Catted downpipe, JacFab Boost-o-lator, K&N drop-in air filter, ZZP Intake Tube, PTP turbo blanket, NGK 6510s gapped at 0.022"

Motorcycle enthusiast
zedts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
I put a CAI on my 2016 2ss recently from cold air inductions . I actually took it into the dealer today due to it throwing codes. I was told bascially that the intake is supplying more air that the car is use to and it tries to compensate by adding more fuel to the mixture. Do these 6 gen camaros need a tune for CAI? On my 5th gen i put one on and never had any issues.
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
with the ltg more so than the lt1, these cars are basically rolling weather stations on wheels. its all based on the way the air is flowing across the MAF, when you change the conduit you are altering the calibration of Actual Air Mass flowing and the engine detects the inconsistency. its not apples for apples. bigger intake hole = more air is entering than being measured. This is the barrier to entry to modding w/o hitting the tune. The MAF adjustment is simple enough. yes Most times it will code and your not doing anything "good" by adding the CAI w/o calibration to measure the air accurately. But yeah, if you calibrate the air intake, it will result in the engine using the increased air throughput, and correctly meter the fuel. Based on O2 feedback. Yes, anything for more air throughput is a good path to power.

Sometimes is why the O2 sensor pops up and says, "hey, I am seeing a problem with the O2 levels in the spent fuel" WB or NB O2 sensor works by sweeping or hunting across the static O2 level during cruise. The O2 sensor feeds the info back to fueling to lean or richen the fuel. If your adding more air than your accounting for, the trims will work to correct the imbalance. But that only goes so far. and at some point it reports an anomaly.

there are transients that (as I understand these triggers) mostly are responsible for triggering faults. As the demand crosses these phases of startup/warmup, cruise, accel, decel, all those events are seriously managed by the ecu and have their 'normal' parameters.

But- if the MAF is calibrated, everything else falls into line.

So the point is if you eat a lot of beans, expect some free gas. You are what you eat.

This is only a small patch of my log tables.

Name:  ws.PNG
Views: 1421
Size:  129.0 KB

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsuddre View Post
I put a CAI on my 2016 2ss recently from cold air inductions . I actually took it into the dealer today due to it throwing codes. I was told bascially that the intake is supplying more air that the car is use to and it tries to compensate by adding more fuel to the mixture. Do these 6 gen camaros need a tune for CAI? On my 5th gen i put one on and never had any issues.
Your right. If more air is being detected through the maf, then more fuel to balance out the a/f ratio. Dont let the dealership try to explain aftermarket performance parts is cause of check engine lights. In some cases yes, but they will always try to rule out that non oem parts will be the culprit. Then they may throw around the "warranty voided" scare tactic.
GM and other manufacturers are very well aware of air intake systems and know for a fact that they are generally better than oem. Otherwise gmpp would not offer a part that is the same architecture design as injen, K&N, etc.
You may need a "calibration" as they call it, basically remapping the MAF to pull in the g/cm3 correctly and balance out your air/fuel ratio. Its basically making the computer know that an air intake is installed.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote