Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
GermanMuscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Suggestions for new Exhaust System!

Hey Guys,

I'm in the business for a new exhaust system. Performance wise car is completly stock. Roto Fab CAI, Exhaust System and Tune will be my first performance mod. Down the road I will go FI, so I would like to only buy an exhaust system once that is "compatible" with FI later on.

My first question is, if I get headers, cat deleted mid and x-pipe but keep the stock NPP axleback will that even be worth it or will the stock NPP create a bottleneck effect and restrict exhaust outflow? In other words do I have to get a full system to maximize the power gains or will stock NPP axleback do?

Second question: What are peoples thoughts and experiences out there regarding the different systems. I've especially been looking at the Kooks, SW and also Texas Speed. Texas Speed being very attractive because of price.

Thanks for your help!
GermanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMuscle View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm in the business for a new exhaust system. Performance wise car is completly stock. Roto Fab CAI, Exhaust System and Tune will be my first performance mod. Down the road I will go FI, so I would like to only buy an exhaust system once that is "compatible" with FI later on.

My first question is, if I get headers, cat deleted mid and x-pipe but keep the stock NPP axleback will that even be worth it or will the stock NPP create a bottleneck effect and restrict exhaust outflow? In other words do I have to get a full system to maximize the power gains or will stock NPP axleback do?

Second question: What are peoples thoughts and experiences out there regarding the different systems. I've especially been looking at the Kooks, SW and also Texas Speed. Texas Speed being very attractive because of price.

Thanks for your help!

Stock NPP is a straight pipe with valves open, not a bottleneck. I have the secondary cats deleted via the Borla mid pipe (which made it deeper and louder) and plan on headers (with cats) and keeping the stock NPP - no company seems to have a viable valved exhaust that makes a difference, especially with headers. Based on your plan, I'd keep the NPP and do the other things. If you later feel you need to replace the mufflers, then do that, but I wouldn't do that before headers. You may find replacing the stock muffler unnecessary.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
CompleteStreet

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10
Give us a call at 610-628-2095, or chat with us online. We can help you pick the right parts and give you a great deal!

https://www.cspracing.com/vehicle-pa...haust-headers/
CompleteStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:36 AM   #4
GermanMuscle

Hey thanks for reaching out, will do!
Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
Headers & your done, headers will give you h.p. The rest is a waste of time & money unless your just looking for a different sound.
I hate the way the NPP sounds with headers so I am doing the AWE with the understanding I am wasting money just for sound.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMuscle View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help!
Cat deletes don't work out well on the M6, at the very minimum you need the Borla resonated mid pipe.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
The Roto Fab CAI will give you some added HP, it's been proven over and over to gain at least 15-20 HP. The exhaust however will provide no gains in the HP department but the Borla Atak is a great sounding system for sure. Wouldn't get the tune done until you do the headers. Not really needed with just the exhaust and CAI.

If you have any questions about pricing feel free to shoot us a PM or call us at any time.

Cheers,

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
afe power ftw

Old 12-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAUSA View Post
Stock NPP is a straight pipe with valves open, not a bottleneck. I have the secondary cats deleted via the Borla mid pipe (which made it deeper and louder) and plan on headers (with cats) and keeping the stock NPP - no company seems to have a viable valved exhaust that makes a difference, especially with headers. Based on your plan, I'd keep the NPP and do the other things. If you later feel you need to replace the mufflers, then do that, but I wouldn't do that before headers. You may find replacing the stock muffler unnecessary.

Which Borla Mid Pipe did you go with? I'm looking at keeping the stock mufflers and exhaust system, but just want a bit more volume and aggression.

Past -
2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack
2015 Camaro SS
2010 Ford Mustang GT
Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Cat deletes don't work out well on the M6, at the very minimum you need the Borla resonated mid pipe.
Why would that be?

I have the Borla secondary cat deletes on my 1LE, and think it sounds great. Everything else is stock.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:41 PM   #11
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
We are talking either all delete or primary cat delete. It does not work cause the engine does not run between idle and 1200 hundred RPM or so, as an example you can't use 6th gear to 67 MPH, 5th is like 55 MPH, stock or with primary cats, 6th can be had at 52 ish, 5th at dunno say 45 MPH... nuff said.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 12-03-2018 at 10:53 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Uhhh.. what? What about deleting the cats makes the engine 'not run' for a ~600rpm window?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
GermanMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Would you invest in the mid pipe or just do headers and CAI? Is the other stuff really worth it? Just looking for performance with a Supercharger in the long run, don't really care about the sound since it sounds better than 99% of the cars on the road either way.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #14
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
Why would that be?

I have the Borla secondary cat deletes on my 1LE, and think it sounds great. Everything else is stock.

Same here.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote