Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
JGiovando

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE HBM
I'm confused because I've followed a lot of threads regarding guys using and happy with E85, but today I called performance shop inquiring about a tune for E85 and was told they won't even tune for it do to the risk of damage to the car, stated something about causing problems with detonation and too much risk for negligible hp gains likely 15hp. This thread is like others I've seen, mostly zero reservations/hesitation. Anyone else gotten similar information from a performance shop/tuner?
JGiovando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
DSX Tuning

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFrench View Post
With most kits using OEM hoses and sensors what is the difference between the $225 kit and the $375 dollar kits? i think lethalgarage is the cheapest i've seen at $225. Any pros or cons with any of the different kits? post your experience!
My kits use a lot of purpose built pieces as opposed to just repurposing existing stuff that you can buy out there. I make a new fuel line with a PTFE smooth bore hose that uses crimped ends. These each get pressed tested before they go out to ensure they're leak free. Beyond that, I manufacture my own fittings because what's out there is very good in my opinion. Everything I do is true push connect with a stainless steel snap ring and fluorosilicone o-rings which are fully compatible with all fuels, especially E85. The fittings are anodized to protect against corrosion from ethanol as well. You don't have to mess around with backing nuts or anything to install the sensor which means you don't have to use a wrench for the install.

For the wiring, I had my own mold made to mimic the factory ignition coil because I didn't like the one that was out there. Mine use push-to-seat Molex MX150 terminals (which is what most of the connectors on these cars are now) as opposed to pull-to-seat Metripack which are a 20+ year old terminal design.

There's a lot of small details that add up. Whether or not that is worth it to you is your decision to make. There's never a shortage of "it's the same thing!" being said, but if you really dissect it, you find that just isn't true aside from the base sensor (although some of the kits out there use Chinese replicas).

DSX Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #17
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGiovando View Post
I'm confused because I've followed a lot of threads regarding guys using and happy with E85, but today I called performance shop inquiring about a tune for E85 and was told they won't even tune for it do to the risk of damage to the car, stated something about causing problems with detonation and too much risk for negligible hp gains likely 15hp. This thread is like others I've seen, mostly zero reservations/hesitation. Anyone else gotten similar information from a performance shop/tuner?
I would find a different shop after hearing that, I wouldn't trust them to touch anything on my car. I am running E85 on this car and ran E85 on my 935 rwhp turbo 4th gen before this.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #18
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFrench View Post
With most kits using OEM hoses and sensors what is the difference between the $225 kit and the $375 dollar kits? i think lethalgarage is the cheapest i've seen at $225. Any pros or cons with any of the different kits? post your experience!
I went with DSX both times as the kit has quality, I can’t see the reason to save pennies on the dollar, especially on the fuel system.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote