Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-30-2018, 06:35 PM   #169
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
I haven't paid a lick of attention to whose thread it was. My bad Matt. I am out.
Who sez (Proverbs 21:10-11) – “There is no honor among"... retailers?!

Anyway, I was a little disappointed in how this thread played out. Thought I had allowed enuff time for all opinions to be aired before deciding to purchase. We don't all have access to a dyno or timed track to do before and after comparo's.
And I've always had hesitation to paying for a one off, free hand porting job that can't be duplicated (or fixed) also with no before and after flow charts.

Matt the car ran well (no CELs and no bells as I said), but with all the hub-bub over ported vs. non-ported and tuned vs. non-tuned, I did the best available to me and had DynoSteve at RDPmotorsport.com, https://rdpstore.com/p-11955-tuner-p...nes.aspxcreate , create a custom tune for my car with my mods including a non-ported 95mm TB and non-ported MSD 2700.

She runs like a scalded dog (but very smooth), strong pull throughout- traction limited as before but even stronger when it does get "bite". I plan to a data log and have it double checked to make sure we've done what we can with this format (no additional charge) until a better option is available in the future. I also plan to replace the Goodyear AS3's with Michelin PS4's. The OE tires are gone after 10K miles and I was never impressed by them.

I'll be looking forward to your new ideas for the MSD Matt and thanks again.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #170
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Who sez (Proverbs 21:10-11) – “There is no honor among"... retailers?!

Anyway, I was a little disappointed in how this thread played out. Thought I had allowed enuff time for all opinions to be aired before deciding to purchase. We don't all have access to a dyno or timed track to do before and after comparo's.
And I've always had hesitation to paying for a one off, free hand porting job that can't be duplicated (or fixed) also with no before and after flow charts.

Matt the car ran well (no CELs and no bells as I said), but with all the hub-bub over ported vs. non-ported and tuned vs. non-tuned, I did the best available to me and had DynoSteve at RDPmotorsport.com, https://rdpstore.com/p-11955-tuner-p...nes.aspxcreate , create a custom tune for my car with my mods including a non-ported 95mm TB and non-ported MSD 2700.

She runs like a scalded dog (but very smooth), strong pull throughout- traction limited as before but even stronger when it does get "bite". I plan to a data log and have it double checked to make sure we've done what we can with this format (no additional charge) until a better option is available in the future. I also plan to replace the Goodyear AS3's with Michelin PS4's. The OE tires are gone after 10K miles and I was never impressed by them.

I'll be looking forward to your new ideas for the MSD Matt and thanks again.
Congrats on your purchase. Glad you are happy with it. Since this doesn't dispute any of Matt's findings or yours I figured I would chime back in since I have a couple questions for you.

Are you saying hand porting is not consistent or can't be duplicated port to port? Or manifold to manifold?
Do you think a CNC program for a plastic manifold would be better?
Have you seen the inside of the MSD the stock IM?

Since you said you haven't seen posted flow numbers of ported stuff, here is a link to actual flow testing of one of my hand ported IM/TB sets. I haven't done a MSD back to back but I will. Just remember, flow numbers don't always equal power but an extra 20cfm has to help a little.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483048
Old 01-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #171
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Pray I am certain you are a very capable guy. Your many ardent fans rule out any other conclusion. I apologize if my previous post seemed personal or critical, I was feeling frustrated by the lack of continuity of opinion on this matter (but if you look to the Internet for info that's what you get- lots of opinions!), especially after spending a great deal of money!

Traffic was light and I got to "hot-shoe" the car a good bit coming home from work last night. Any doubts I had acquired about the improvement in performance from my most recent modifications were completely dispelled. That thing is just crazy fast right now! I am happy.

I have voiced my opinions on those other topics and don't expect to discuss them any further- but I hope you have a great and prosperous New Year and continue to make these "Super Camaros" even better and better!

Sincerely, V.M.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:00 PM   #172
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Pray I am certain you are a very capable guy. Your many ardent fans rule out any other conclusion. I apologize if my previous post seemed personal or critical, I was feeling frustrated by the lack of continuity of opinion on this matter (but if you look to the Internet for info that's what you get- lots of opinions!), especially after spending a great deal of money!

Traffic was light and I got to "hot-shoe" the car a good bit coming home from work last night. Any doubts I had acquired about the improvement in performance from my most recent modifications were completely dispelled. That thing is just crazy fast right now! I am happy.

I have voiced my opinions on those other topics and don't expect to discuss them any further- but I hope you have a great and prosperous New Year and continue to make these "Super Camaros" even better and better!

Sincerely, V.M.
No worries on my end brother. I never take anything personally. (Especially on the internet) I only post facts with solid track, dyno, and flow testing to back it up. People only get in their feels when they post an opinion with nothing to back it up and others dispute it. Especially when they spend a ton of money on a product.

The stock MSD no doubt out powers the stock IM. Especially up top. They was never disputed that I saw. The only issue is when you throw in ported stock stuff against the stock MSD. You should be experiencing a 30-40rw gain with a tune and the MSD. If you got the trans done as well then it should feel like 60rw. That is real power that you can feel and experience if you can apply it.

Have a great new year and enjoy your combo.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #173
biker2k

Drives: 2018 2ss 1le
so just a quick question, is it safe to assume a ported msd and non ported 95mm especially with some supporting mods is better than stock ported I/m and stock ported t/b

seems to me like porting the 95 is not really worth it as its significantly larger and does not have that nasty step in it that the stock 87 has

Last edited by biker2k; 01-01-2019 at 07:34 PM.
biker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #174
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker2k View Post
so just a quick question, is it safe to assume a ported msd and non ported 95mm especially with some supporting mods is better than stock ported I/m and stock ported t/b

seems to me like porting the 95 is not really worth it as its significantly larger and does not have that nasty step in it that the stock 87 has
The ported manifold and non ported 95 is my favorite combo. There is a little gain in the 95 being ported. But, with just bolt ons and no cam or head work. It isn't worth much at all.
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #175
Immoralus

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS A8
I should be ok running a Ported MSD and Ported 95mm right? Car has been tuned once but I want to sell my Ported Stockers to pay for the header install.

I just want to know if I can drive around with it... I rarely get on it except for at the track.
Immoralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #176
Matt@Tick

Drives: All GM Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immoralus View Post
I should be ok running a Ported MSD and Ported 95mm right? Car has been tuned once but I want to sell my Ported Stockers to pay for the header install.

I just want to know if I can drive around with it... I rarely get on it except for at the track.
Yes, it is just fine to have both of them ported.
Matt@Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:36 AM   #177
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Update to my mods:
Kooks 1-7/8 headers, no cats, Roto-Fab CAI, Tick 95mm ported TB, Pray ported IM, PedelMax, DR, E85, HPtuners.

Anyone think I can get a 10.99 with these mods?

Last edited by 18ss376; 01-26-2019 at 05:07 PM.
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:22 AM   #178
OneSlowV

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
Update to my mods:
Kooks 1-7/8 headers, no cats, Roto-Fab CAI, Tick 95mm ported TB, MSD IM, PedelMax, DR, E85, HPtuners.

Anyone think I can get a 10.99 with these mods?
A8 or 6spd ? You will need a drag pack to even consider running 10s and a trans tune from Pray if you are a A8 . But with those mods and tire should run it no problem in good air

2020 CAMARO LT1 6spd 11.02@ 135 dragy approved
OneSlowV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:44 AM   #179
18ss376

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSlowV View Post
A8 or 6spd ? You will need a drag pack to even consider running 10s and a trans tune from Pray if you are a A8 . But with those mods and tire should run it no problem in good air
A8, yeah I know it's at 3900lbs. with me in it. Gotta get a drag pack for sure.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #180
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
A8, yeah I know it's at 3900lbs. with me in it. Gotta get a drag pack for sure.
How much do you weigh? Trying to see how heavy these cars are.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #181
18ss376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
How much do you weigh? Trying to see how heavy these cars are.
I scaled it at the drag strip with 1/2 tank of gas & I weigh 200lbs. with all my safety apparel on & the scales are dead on. Have to be when NHRA Div. 4 races are ran.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #182
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
I scaled it at the drag strip with 1/2 tank of gas & I weigh 200lbs. with all my safety apparel on & the scales are dead on. Have to be when NHRA Div. 4 races are ran.
Ok so 3700 pounds. I am going to try and shave some of that weight off of mine and see if I cant get it into the 3500 pound range.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote