Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM/M6
Looking to upgrade the factory stereo (need some help)

I own a 2SS with the Boston Acoustic system and I am ready to upgrade it.

I am looking for some help with what I need to buy.

Here is the list I have right now.

Dash Kit (metra or other options?)
Head Unit (stuff I want: nav,BT,XM,DVD,IPOD)
Adapters/Plugs/Modules (what else do I need to buy) ?
Where should I buy everything?

Anything else I should consider while the stereo and console is out of the car?

I have a 12 inch sub and amp hooked up and will be keeping the factory speakers for now. I would like to do the install myself so I am looking for something thats integrates without to much difficulty, looks clean, and sounds good....

I am on a tight budget so money is an issue for me too.

Hopefully someone can walk me through this complete process! I would love to do a nice DIY with a bunch of photos!

Thank you!
rxfox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Dragon Tats

Drives: 2010 Black LT1
My car is in the shop now getting a face lift. I went with the Alpine 900BT, it has all your looking for BT, Nav, Ipod, DVD etc. This unit is gonna cost you a G, you are also going to need the adapter either the Metra kit, Scoche or the Alpine unit. Metra is running around $300.00 and the prices aren't avail for the other kits but they should be out soon. My installer is putting in the Metra but swapping it for the Alpine when it becomes available.
Dragon Tats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxfox3 View Post
I own a 2SS with the Boston Acoustic system and I am ready to upgrade it.

I am looking for some help with what I need to buy.

Here is the list I have right now.

Dash Kit (metra or other options?)
Head Unit (stuff I want: nav,BT,XM,DVD,IPOD)
Adapters/Plugs/Modules (what else do I need to buy) ?
Where should I buy everything?

Anything else I should consider while the stereo and console is out of the car?

I have a 12 inch sub and amp hooked up and will be keeping the factory speakers for now. I would like to do the install myself so I am looking for something thats integrates without to much difficulty, looks clean, and sounds good....

I am on a tight budget so money is an issue for me too.

Hopefully someone can walk me through this complete process! I would love to do a nice DIY with a bunch of photos!

Thank you!
You can get the Metra Kit for the Double Din's HERE for only $220.81 with FREE SHIPPING !!
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
SoTHavok

Drives: 1
www.********.com
SoTHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Scoche and Alpine kits look great, but who knows when they will be available. I am willing to live with a metra kit for now. I can always upgrade when/if something better comes along down the road.

I am trying to sort out what I need and the cost of the stuff so I can make a decision about this before I pull the trigger.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
you shouldn't pay any more than $225 for the Metra kit. I got mine for $200
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Darth did you do your own install?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

yep, sure did. It's relatively easy. I wrote a review of the Metra kit as well as the head unit I got in this section. Do a quick search for it and it should turn up. I think I mentioned a few tips in there that should help out. If not, just PM me and I'll help you out however I can.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Darth I took a look at your post about the install. Does the metra kit deal with the steering wheel controls, bluetooth, etc, or is that stuff controlled by the head unit.

The Pioneer HU you installed is cool, but one of the main reasons I want to do this is for the nav so I need to look at other head units.

Regardless I will have to purchase the dash kit so I will order one now and get that out of the way!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Got my Metra dash kit today! I am doing some reaserch on headunits and trying to find something that I like. Anyone have any suggestions? I have about $800 to spend...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Sorry it took me a couple days to reply. Yes, the Metra deals with the steering wheel controls via the interface box that you received. I'm guessing you figured this out by now though.

The unit that I purchased (which you can get now for around $350) can add Pioneer's Nav module fairly easily. You can find those for around $200-$300 on ebay all day long. Total price to be around $650, well under your budget.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
kaveduck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS V8- IOM
I'm going with the Alpine 900BT, the Alpine kit (if it ever comes out), Alpine Type X Pro SPX-17PRO, Alpine 6X9's in the back, JL Audio 12v6 w/ a ******** box and two JL Audio amps, 500v2x1 and 300v2x4...

Just waiting on all the components to be shipped, then have the joy of installing over 500 bucks of dynamat (on sale lol, over 20 sheets) and proceeding with the most expensive install I've ever done...
kaveduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Trying to pick out a headunit is giving me a headache! I think I will just run down to car toys and look at them and buy it there. That way I can take it back if I don't like it! I am looking at the alpine 900 unitsvtoo and for the same reason as yourself. I want to upgrade to a better din kit at some point and if I have that alpine it should be an easy swap. I will post an update when I have everything and ready to start the install. One more thing, I may do a backup cam while I am at this!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
rxfox3
Rxfox3

Does that alpine screen tilt? If so, is that something I should consider in the units? I was worried that it might be hard to see the screen if the radio installs flat.

Tags
headunit, navigation, stereo, upgrades, xm radio