Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #71
JonD

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Um it ain't me asking for dyno proof of a subjective part throttle low RPM issue.
I believe I did a terrible job with my choice of wording

To tell people a smaller header is better because you’re having lower part throttle issues seems to be subjective without proving it’s not the tune.

Is that a possibility?
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #72
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Generally* 1 7/8 has been the go to for all motor builds and 2 inch for boosted applications. My 5.0 lost a lot of low end with 2 inch headers and i went to 1 7/8 and it was night and day. Both re-tuned afterwards. But every applications different
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #73
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Wish someone made a 1-3/4" for my 455h.p. LT1
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #74
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18ss376 View Post
Wish someone made a 1-3/4" for my 455h.p. LT1

https://www.phastekperformance.com/B...ders-17293.htm
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #75
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonD View Post
I believe I did a terrible job with my choice of wording

To tell people a smaller header is better because you’re having lower part throttle issues seems to be subjective without proving it’s not the tune.

Is that a possibility?
Actually, without cats for the stock header or my LT there are part throttle issues.

It is an OBJECTIVE FACT that a smaller header will maintain exhaust velocity better. I have nothing to prove. I've listed my mods, don't think it is the tune, do think a 2" header with no cats would yield even worst low speed part throttle performance. I've seen it happen on many engines over decades.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #76
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
Yes I love driving in low rpms and skipping gears during commutes. I haven’t noticed a change and you can bet your ass we would rip the LTH right back out if it did

Prob will add msd to the car at some point so maybe that may add some more data to the situation

Will be testing the L86 intake first tho

I really hate to speculate like this but I have notorious paranoia of vacuum leaks. Tuning the MAF to inenvertily allocate for a vacuum leak will send transient part throttle driving to hell
How knows, the point is there are no issues with cats. I don't see myself going back to stock intake and stock TB. I could as I'm boosted and the 103mm TB and MSD are really worthless unless of course, I was going to install an 8 point dual inject.

Heck I even like the truck manifold for boosted setups. Figure the Procharger can use some more midrange grunt. It can produce more boost than my fuel system can supply on the top end... or the short block take. Looking forward to the results...

Oh and let's go to sound, the engine sounds like sluggish with no cats, it is not fart pipe on a ricer bad, but it is not crisp either. With cats... the engine is louder than stock because of the headers, but not very much louder and the sound is crisp like a high compression V8.... With cats the engine is quiter all the way around and smoother / crisper in the low to mid range. Don't know how much HP, as I got no traction in any normal speed anyway.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #77
JonD

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Actually, without cats for the stock header or my LT there are part throttle issues.

It is an OBJECTIVE FACT that a smaller header will maintain exhaust velocity better.
LOL, you’re a true forum guy
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #78
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
2nd cats

Quote:
Well there are a few that delete the secondary cat that includes the rest of the x pipe all the way to the stock muffler. They are not unreasonably expensive.
That said the general consensus is that the primary cats are the biggest restriction.
Yea I've seen those but I believe the end at the mufflers of the original mid pipes have to be cut though, I'm under the impression it's one piece after the cats. Texas speed or especially speed engineering seem like good ways to go there without breaking the bank.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:00 AM   #79
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
My personal car is with cats but I’ve never driven a car that was catless that was tuned right and lost power
Never heard of it either. Every car i have ever owned that was modified was cat less and never had any issues. Engines do not need back pressure to run correctly, it's a myth. I would look into the tune if my car was doing this.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #80
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Never heard of it either. Every car i have ever owned that was modified was cat less and never had any issues. Engines do not need back pressure to run correctly, it's a myth. I would look into the tune if my car was doing this.
Back when I had my 1987 Corvette with a Lingenfelter 383 I ran it with open headers then with full free flowing exhaust with Borla mufflers. It ran faster with the full exhaust & I still don't know why it ran better than open headers
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #81
Umbriel

Quote:
Back when I had my 1987 Corvette with a Lingenfelter 383 I ran it with open headers then with full free flowing exhaust. It ran faster with the full exhaust & I still don't know why it ran better than open headers
Tuning maybe? Only thing I can think of, changing the airflow so much it throws the tune off all speculation at this point with that. I know every car I have ever owned and modified has never had any issues running no cats and open exhaust. The car I have now is running 2 inch headers and no cats and runs perfectly fine with no issue at all and a very noticeable increase in power.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #82
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
Back when I had my 1987 Corvette with a Lingenfelter 383 I ran it with open headers then with full free flowing exhaust with Borla mufflers. It ran faster with the full exhaust & I still don't know why it ran better than open headers
The key is freeflowing maintaining velocity and scavenging.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #83
Umbriel

Quote:
The key is freeflowing maintaining velocity and scavenging.
Yep. A lot people confuse scavenging and velocity with back pressure.