Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
smking

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Hyper Blue
Upgrade for track days

I'm planning to do some track days this year with my 2016 RS manual. So I got some 20 inch black rims with 245/40ZR EAGLE F1 summer tires.

For front brakes I got the Brembo kit 23245470. The kit has larger then stock rotors 13.5". I guessing the stock dust shield wont work with these. Will the ones from the SS work?

For the rear was just going to paint the calipers red because of the parking brake issue. But would like to change the rotors to slotted. I see Stop Tech has some (see link). Anyone have experience with these?

https://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2722A0A0.aspx

Brake pads was thinking Stop Tech Z23 or Z26 on all four.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Steve
smking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
JakeF_RS

Drives: Camaro
You’re gonna want some suspension work - trailing arms, cradle, control arms.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #3
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by smking View Post
Brake pads was thinking Stop Tech Z23 or Z26 on all four.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Steve
Do NOT use either of those pads on track...
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
Kairles

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green LS 1LE
I've used the Z26 pads on track. They work, but wouldn't call them an upgrade. Depending on your track experiences you may want more from the pads, I know I do. This year I may be running G-Loc R10s or EBC yellowstuff(I really like these). I've used stoptech rotors on my last car and they're good but wouldn't say they are needed. The Pads/rotors in the kit should be fine for track work.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF_RS View Post
You’re gonna want some suspension work - trailing arms, cradle, control arms.
Those are nice upgrades, but not sure they are a actual need for a track day. A want for sure, but brakes are definitely a need.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
smking

I think for this year I'll just use all the parts that came with the Brembo kit for the front and change out the pads and rotors on the rear. Not sure what ones I'll get.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
Deesiel678

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
I've read that the OEM pads that come with the Brembo calipers are made by Ferodo. With that in mind, I'd stick with those before using the Stop Techs. Definitely switch your fluid to DOT4 high temp brake fluid (ie. Castrol SRF or Motul RBF600, or the like). Also be mindful of brake feel while on track. If you feel them start to fade, back off.
Rear brakes won't get as hot. Stop Techs (or OEM) should be fine.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
JakeF_RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Those are nice upgrades, but not sure they are a actual need for a track day. A want for sure, but brakes are definitely a need.
OP didn't specify need vs want. Suspension is pretty far up on my list of track day upgrades, right after wheels/tires and brakes.
JakeF_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
smking

I haven't driven on a track yet so I was thinking a brake upgrade would be a good thing to do and is not expensive plus I can do it myself. The suspension upgrade would be the next step.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
miatatony

Drives: 17' V6 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
I've read that the OEM pads that come with the Brembo calipers are made by Ferodo. With that in mind, I'd stick with those before using the Stop Techs. Definitely switch your fluid to DOT4 high temp brake fluid (ie. Castrol SRF or Motul RBF600, or the like). Also be mindful of brake feel while on track. If you feel them start to fade, back off.
Rear brakes won't get as hot. Stop Techs (or OEM) should be fine.
I agree, I have a v6 1le and when I recently needed new pads I actually went with OEM brembos. Done multiple track days at Laguna seca and only very minor fade towards the end of a session, that could've been because I was still on the factory brake fluid then. Now that I've down a full flush with super ate fluid and brand new OEM pads, they feel great, I don't feel any need for aftermarket pads yet.
miatatony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #11
miatatony

Drives: 17' V6 1LE
Brakes are always a good idea, but outside of that and making sure ur tires are in decent shape, you don't really need any other upgrades for the track. After u do ur brakes I'd recommend taking it to the track with the stock suspension so it can give you a reference point in how it handles now. I've seen plenty of v6 Camaros at the track with stock suspension.
miatatony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatatony View Post
Brakes are always a good idea, but outside of that and making sure ur tires are in decent shape, you don't really need any other upgrades for the track. After u do ur brakes I'd recommend taking it to the track with the stock suspension so it can give you a reference point in how it handles now. I've seen plenty of v6 Camaros at the track with stock suspension.
^ This 100% go with better brakes and the DOT4. Leave suspension stock until you hit a wall in your ability to control your car to it's fullest. You'll figure this out within 1 or 2 track days then upgrade the suspension from there.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #13
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
A track spec 4 wheel alignment will go a long way.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
Skip the stoptech rotors. Stick with Delco 'Professionals' (coated and balanced) not the 'OEs' ($$$ and not worth it). Stoptech and other 'kits' ship with knock off rotors that are not balanced.

I really feel stoptech pads are better then the brembos for track use. Much more fade resistant and good performance cold, better as they get hot. Dusty as all get out though so wipe down your wheels/rocker/fenders between sessions with quick detailer.

Trackday mods: Bolsters/cheap race bucket seat so you are not sliding around and gripping the stick/wheel>Tires>Brakes>driver mod>rest of the car... in that order
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote