#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 11-26-2017, 10:41 PM   #57
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Looking for a weekend car to replace a C6 corvette.

Any drawbacks or downside to the 1LE package other than limited tire choice and at nearly twice the price of 1-2SS tires?
I don't need all the 2SS bells and whistles, but would enjoy a little more than the standard 1SS trim.

Drove one yesterday on the advise of members here, it felt good, but then again these were rural Maryland roads, not the war zone conditions of PA suburban roads.

What are your thoughts?

Is the 1LE too track oriented, or just a bada$$ car on the street?
I didn't read all the pages, but I live in Northern MD. There are some nice windy roads in the country, but a lot of them suck as far as pot holes, loose gravel, etc. I love my 1LE, but it would be happier in a nice warm state with better roads. Even in tour mode, it gets beaten up a little. Also, it is amazing how many rock slinging big rigs there are out here in MD. When I do get to drive it, I try to stay far behind the vehicles in front to prevent rock chips, but damn, many times I am boxed in by big rigs.

Funny, my wife and I just took a short trip to PA to Kitchen Kettle Village and her 4Runner smells like poo. The farmers were spraying manuer and got it all over the roads. Good thing we didn't take the 1LE on that drive. Lol

This car would be fantastic on California's Pacific Coast Highway, but frankly it isn't as much fun as I had hoped out here in MD. I would not drive this car daily here in this state, but it is a blast for part time.

I'm about to put mine away for the winter which sucks because I do like driving it.

Honestly, a 2SS would be great and handle the road conditions better, but there's something special about driving something more unique and rare (around here) than a "normal" camaro. I've already Been to a couple cruise ins and cars and coffees, and the car gets crowds. Lots of people ask what kind of Camaro it is. I havent seen another 1LE on the road or at any of these events. A ton of regular mustangs and a few 1SS and 2SS Camaros though. One reason I think they are rare around here is due to the tires and the fact that most people need a car they can drive daily all year round and unless u want to get a second set of wheels and tires, you can't do that with a 1LE here.

Last edited by Cgocifer; 11-26-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:44 AM   #58
FATTEMUNK

Drives: 600whp 2016 C63 AMG/ 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Looking to spend about $40k and the cheapest 2SS1LE I've seen yet is still above $43,500, and either Summit White or Red Hot. The color I'm shooting for is either Nightfall or Mosaic, something subtle.
Where the hell did you find a 2SS 1LE for 43.5k? I can't find a 1ss 1le here under that price.
FATTEMUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #59
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATTEMUNK View Post
Where the hell did you find a 2SS 1LE for 43.5k? I can't find a 1ss 1le here under that price.
Maryland.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=CAM

Dealers want to move the cars before they are frozen in place for the next couple months.

Buy a plane ticket, fly out here, and drive it home!
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #60
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfopt View Post
From what you wrote and what others are writing, you will be "slack jawed" with the great handling of the 6th gen 1LE. I also think that even though you probably will be satisfied with the 1SS/2SS without the 1LE package in comparison to your 08 C6 that the 1LE has peaked your interest enough such that you will always be thinking about it if you don't get it.
You are right, I think I painted myself into that corner.

I am trying to look at a 2SS, but keep thinking about all that I will be missing with the 1LE.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #61
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
I didn't read all the pages, but I live in Northern MD. There are some nice windy roads in the country, but a lot of them suck as far as pot holes, loose gravel, etc. I love my 1LE, but it would be happier in a nice warm state with better roads. Even in tour mode, it gets beaten up a little. Also, it is amazing how many rock slinging big rigs there are out here in MD. When I do get to drive it, I try to stay far behind the vehicles in front to prevent rock chips, but damn, many times I am boxed in by big rigs.

Funny, my wife and I just took a short trip to PA to Kitchen Kettle Village and her 4Runner smells like poo. The farmers were spraying manuer and got it all over the roads. Good thing we didn't take the 1LE on that drive. Lol

This car would be fantastic on California's Pacific Coast Highway, but frankly it isn't as much fun as I had hoped out here in MD. I would not drive this car daily here in this state, but it is a blast for part time.

I'm about to put mine away for the winter which sucks because I do like driving it.

Honestly, a 2SS would be great and handle the road conditions better, but there's something special about driving something more unique and rare (around here) than a "normal" camaro. I've already Been to a couple cruise ins and cars and coffees, and the car gets crowds. Lots of people ask what kind of Camaro it is. I havent seen another 1LE on the road or at any of these events. A ton of regular mustangs and a few 1SS and 2SS Camaros though. One reason I think they are rare around here is due to the tires and the fact that most people need a car they can drive daily all year round and unless u want to get a second set of wheels and tires, you can't do that with a 1LE here.
I hear you on the trucks, stone chips, and crap roads. I figure if it rides about as harsh as a C6 (not all that bad) I can deal with it, I was just worried about it being too firm, too track oriented. From my limited test drive, it felt pretty good, next time I will scout out a route with my car and then take the 1LE on the same route to compare both.

Around here 6th Gen Camaros are a rare sight to begin with, have never seen a 1LE in the wild, just on a dealer lot. And the number of 6th Gens seen was countable on one hand until I passed a local Camaro group doing a cruise out to a near by landmark.

I have a second set of wheels and tires for three vehicles right now, so storing a stack of 12 all year, would like to cut that down if I could.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #62
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post

lol
Amish Incense.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #63
Cgocifer

Quote:
I hear you on the trucks, stone chips, and crap roads. I figure if it rides about as harsh as a C6 (not all that bad) I can deal with it, I was just worried about it being too firm, too track oriented. From my limited test drive, it felt pretty good, next time I will scout out a route with my car and then take the 1LE on the same route to compare both.

Around here 6th Gen Camaros are a rare sight to begin with, have never seen a 1LE in the wild, just on a dealer lot. And the number of 6th Gens seen was countable on one hand until I passed a local Camaro group doing a cruise out to a near by landmark.

I have a second set of wheels and tires for three vehicles right now, so storing a stack of 12 all year, would like to cut that down if I could.
I'm not sure how a vette rides, but I can tell you the 1LE rides pretty darn harsh even in tour mode on these roads. On normal, decent roads, it's great, but any chunked up pavement, joints, potholes, or similar, I feel bad for the car. It feels like it is getting beat up to the point of me saying "damn, ouch, wtf!?" Lol Unfortunately, I spend much of the drive with sweaty hands avoiding road debris, potholes, and big rigs. Not too fun. However, when i find that rare nice road, it is fantastic!

You'll definitely need a second set of wheels and tires with this car if you plan to drive it below 40 degrees. The tires get super hard and do not like 40 degrees or below.

True, I don't see too many Camaros around here and zero 1LEs in the wild. Lots of Mustangs though...
Old 11-27-2017, 08:07 PM   #64
Cgocifer

Quote:
lol
Amish Incense.
Totally lol
Old 12-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #65
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
The 6th. Gen SS 1LE handling is very similar to the C7 Stingray Z51. Both are great cars.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #66
Bosse'sBoss

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by slythetove View Post
Are you going to track more than a few times a year? If not there’s no point in paying for PDR. The car is my daily not a track car and it’s awesome. For reference I traded a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport for my 1LE. No regrets.
I could imagine a move from a C7 Grand Sport to a 6th. gen ZL1, but not to a SS 1 LE. Why did you do it? I'm surprised.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 12-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #67
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
The 6th. Gen SS 1LE handling is very similar to the C7 Stingray Z51. Both are great cars.
Funny you should mention that, I have considered getting a C7, used obviously since they are now in the same price range as the Camaro.
Still keep coming back to the Camaro as they are more low key than a Corvette, give you a little more interior room, a little more ground clearance, and perform about the same.

The C7 wins at mpg which does matter when you drive close to 20,000 miles a year, but the looks.... the back end of the C7 is absolutely hideous. One of the spoilers helps a little, but it's still not good.
And tires, you get a much larger tire choice with the C6-C7 tire sizes compared to the very limited 1LE tire selection.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #68
Bosse'sBoss

I was referring to performance at the track, it would be a driver's race between the SS 1LE and the Z51, both are great handling cars.
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
Old 03-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #69
Boost Creep

Possible Night Fall Gray 1SS 1LE, did paper work waiting for car to arrive at dealer, couple weeks out.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #70
Cgocifer

Quote:
Possible Night Fall Gray 1SS 1LE, did paper work waiting for car to arrive at dealer, couple weeks out.
Nice!