Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
How much horsepower does AC actually take?

Now that it has heated up enough that I'm driving with the AC on a lot, I've noticed that I can really feel the difference in performance when it is on. More difference than I would expect with over 400 HP at the rear wheels. My wife has complained about this with her Focus ZX3 and that doesn't surprise me. I would think the compressor would take about the same amount of HP in every car and if that's 20 HP that would be 15% on my wife's car but only about 4or 5% on mine. I wouldn't expect to feel that much.

Does anyone know how much power the AC actually consumes?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Not sure of the exact answer for your question, but for clarification, you don't have 400+HP at the rear wheels (unless you are significantly modified)...you've got that at the flywheel, but not to the ground.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Pay2Play

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10forty2 View Post
Not sure of the exact answer for your question, but for clarification, you don't have 400+HP at the rear wheels (unless you are significantly modified)...you've got that at the flywheel, but not to the ground.
Check his signature. His car is cammed.
2010 RJT 2SS/RS LS3: LG Motorsports Longtube Headers w/ Off-Road Pipes, RX VMax Throttle Body, CAI Cold Air Intake, Borla S-Type Catback, Pfdat Stage 2 Suspension Package, ZL1 Grille, RJT Engine Cover, Black Bowties & All Lights Tinted. Tuned by JRE
Pay2Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
2010ABM

Drives: 2SS/RS ABM Camaro
It's not so much just what the AC sucks down, but more of what the heat is doing to the car. The motor is getting heat soaked now that it's hot...just part of having a V8 and hot temps. The difference will most certainly be noticeable.

Putting down over 400RWHP on good cool air is a completely different story than 400RWHP on a 100+degree day.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
The a/c will heat up your engine, also when you go WOT the a/c kicks off. If your worried about the car overheating try and shut off a/c in traffic or try to maximize your air flow thru radiator and out of engine compartment.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Not worried about it overheating. Even after running it fairly hard when it is 105 out the gauges show no sign of overheating. It just feels a bit more sluggish on part throttle acceleration when the AC is on compared to when it is off. I have excessive curiosity about this kind of thing and was just wondering how much power the AC really takes.

The car put down 426 HP on a Dyno Dynamics dyno that is known to be a bit on the stingy side. That was in March so it wasn't that hot out. A nice day, though. About 80 outside and a bit warmer in the shop.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Probably about 10 hp.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
10forty2

Drives: 1992 Chevy K5 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay2Play View Post
Check his signature. His car is cammed.
Didn't read the fine print, (but I did say unless it was modified..) LOL!

My guess would be the AC drags down about 10-15 HP. Not positive about it, but I think it's more of a friction thing rather than heat generated by the AC. The compressor takes power to turn and the only source is the engine. So when it kicks on, it steals power from the engine and consequently from the rear wheels which is then felt in the seat of your pants!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Heat is your worst enemy. Here in Florida mine runs like a pig all summer long then wakes back up when temps cool off. Very noticeable. Summer blend gas doesn't help either.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Ac takes a considerable toll on the performance (thats why NASCAR cars are not equiped with it). To get a good idea, at idle with turn on the ac (w/ compressor) and you will see the momentary pull on RPM's . The negine will sense and auto rev up, but that lull is your prformance dip. I would say a 5-10% number would be close.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
THE1chopper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010ABM View Post
It's not so much just what the AC sucks down, but more of what the heat is doing to the car. The motor is getting heat soaked now that it's hot...just part of having a V8 and hot temps. The difference will most certainly be noticeable.

Putting down over 400RWHP on good cool air is a completely different story than 400RWHP on a 100+degree day.

^^^ right on...

to make it simple...think of 2 imaginary boxes of air molecules, one is 100 degrees and another say is 50 degrees. The box that is 100 degrees doesnt have NEARLY the amount of air molecules ( things that make your engine very happy) as the 50 degree one...

So not only is cold temps better bet ALSO high pressure!

Having the AC on will MAYBE take 1-3hp to run
THE1chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Driving with your windows down causes more drag than the ac being on. Mythbusters!

Also you dont have a constant 400 hp running. Cruising you are only using about 20 hp. So if my ac unit takes ten, we may have a problem.

The 70 lbs of the system probably costs
More than the drag.

And really, had to throw a nascar reference in here. Lol. Cause if it wasnt for the drag on engine they would totally have ac units. Lmao
Old 06-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
Driving with your windows down causes more drag than the ac being on. Mythbusters!

Also you dont have a constant 400 hp running. Cruising you are only using about 20 hp. So if my ac unit takes ten, we may have a problem.

The 70 lbs of the system probably costs
More than the drag.

And really, had to throw a nascar reference in here. Lol. Cause if it wasnt for the drag on engine they would totally have ac units. Lmao

You might want to watch Mythbusters again, because you are completely wrong. Driving with the windows down was FAR more efficient than using air conditioning. Using the AC burns more fuel, puts more load on the motor, and causes the motor to run hotter. Not to mention, if it's hot enough outside to use the AC, then the air is already causing you to lose some horsepower.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
You might want to watch Mythbusters again, because you are completely wrong. Driving with the windows down was FAR more efficient than using air conditioning. Using the AC burns more fuel, puts more load on the motor, and causes the motor to run hotter. Not to mention, if it's hot enough outside to use the AC, then the air is already causing you to lose some horsepower.

Ummm...from my recollection, they found the opposite of what you are stating. They said that up to a certain speed, using the AC was much more efficient than the windows because of drag.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote