Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

AWE Tuning

Old 01-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
GTG91

Drives: 2008 duramax
Angry Texas Speed= terrible quality

Guys, Im not one to complain, instead I work to find a solution and I find a way to make it work.

First off Im not an amateur, I actually own and operate a garage and towing company. Ive worked on cars my whole life and my father and I build and race dirt cars, I can weld, fabricate, build frames and roll cages, rebuild engines, all that good stuff.

I contacted TSP and after some suggestions from them and complaints from my end they stopped talking to me.

I just paid almost $900 (shipped) for a set of Texas Speed long tube headers, cat delete, x pipe, and the long extensions that go back to roughly the rear end... first I called TSP and told them my problem, which is the x pipe was nowhere close to fitting my headers so I called Gary at TSP, he suggested that I loosen my headers from my heads but not to take them off and the x pipe should fit, it did not. to make everything fit I would have to pry apart the x pipe then depend on everything springing once I tighten my headers, which brings me to problem number 2, if everything is sprung when I tighten everything, over time something is bound to crack and cause a massive leak.
that stuff aside my solution to the x pipe problem was to tighten my headers back up and measure outside to outside on the downstream end of the headers (24 3/4") then I measured the upstream end of my x pipe (24") 3/4" too narrow to fit, since I cant weld stainless I took it to a local welding shop, he actually cut the weld pried the pipes apart and rewelded the pipes back together, crisis adverted, the x pipe fits like a glove to the headers.

3rd problem now is that when I put on the extension tubes that go from the downstream side of the x pipe to the upstream side of the last little bit of factory exhaust, just before my mufflers, their basically a full tube width off.
so it looks like Ill be taking my extension tubes to an exhaust shop to have a tweak put in them to turn them out a little more so they actually fit the last section of my stock exhaust.
another problem I ran into is with the exhaust clamps they give you, the bolts are 1/2" too short and will strip if you snug them too much, if your dead set on this setup I highly recommend replacing the bolts before you even get started.

I cant tell you how unhappy I am with Texas Speed and Performance, the quality of the metal appears to be decent quality and the headers do fit well thats the only nice thing I have to say about my entire experience so far.

I have put at least 20 hours into this exhaust system and its only half done, I have heard a ton of good things about TSP but for my 2015 2SS their not the company for me, they got me once, it wont happen again

if there is any TSP reps on here please refer them to this post
Old 01-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Awww Mann.. hope it all works out soon.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Sorry to hear about your experience, TSP is usually a pretty reputable vendor.
This post may have been better if it was stuck here. That way it's in the correct spot for vender feedback and others can find it more easily. I hope you have better luck in the future! Good luck with the rest of your build!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Pics of the problem would really shed light on the issue. Hate to hear about your difficulties. Your explanation really helps. I've had fitment issues with other products, but had help from the vendor or manufacture. Would like to hear from TSP to see if they can rectify things...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:54 PM   #5
GTG91

Thank you all, I didn't take pictures of the x pipe but I do have a picture after it was cut, and I can take one after it was welded back together, af far as everything else I can get pictures because the car is still hanging on one of my lifts in the shop

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I got poor customer service from them once and have never returned.

Just my experience... most around here use them though.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Never used TSP, but have heard enough bad things on different forums to know to avoid them. Hope this gets resolved for you.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
GTG91

It'll get resolved, I'll cut and weld until it fits correctly, my point is I got no help from TSP and for the price I shouldn't have this kind of difficulty

Old 01-10-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
GTG91

I realize not everything will snap together like legos, but come on, I'm a mechanic by trade and build race cars from the ground up... it can't be this hard