Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-25-2018, 12:19 AM   #43
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Where is that Mic Drop .Gif

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:52 AM   #44
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
I am NA, but am thinking about going FI. I have a very simplistic view on this based on how the car will be used for the most fun, although I could be wrong:

Drag Racing - Procharger
Street Use Only - PD
Road Course - PD if you can keep temps under control or NA

On the other hand, I am also going to look into an a10 conversion for my 1LE, and in that case would probably stay NA for use at all venues.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #45
Jhunsberger

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6 (SOLD)
My build will be a little bit of everything. Mainly street driven, not DD. Some 1/4 mile track time too, and whatever else I get into.

So I went back n forth between a procharger setup and a whipple. When I first considered putting FI on my 17 SS M6 I wanted a whipple. Once I got into researching it, and pricing stuff out, I was leaning towards a procharger.

I mainly leaned towards the procharger because it was less expensive, and the install seemed easier. Although I learned if i wanted more than the standard kit, i would most likely have to upgrade the HPFP and injectors. And I knew I wouldn't stop at just the procharger. ALso i felt the M6 is not geared the best to keep the procharger wound up in the power band.

With having to upgrade the fuel stuff at some point, which meant pulling the intake, I then went back to my original desire to get a whipple. Intake has to come off anyway, so right there is the HPFP and injectors.

So I have a whipple on order (coming in 1-2 weeks), installed the LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, and have a roto fab dry filter to install. And I will go from there.

I guess in the end for me, the driving factor was the M6 and which was better suited for that. And wanting that harder hitting torque.

Just some insight to my thought process.
Jhunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #46
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhunsberger View Post
My build will be a little bit of everything. Mainly street driven, not DD. Some 1/4 mile track time too, and whatever else I get into.

So I went back n forth between a procharger setup and a whipple. When I first considered putting FI on my 17 SS M6 I wanted a whipple. Once I got into researching it, and pricing stuff out, I was leaning towards a procharger.

I mainly leaned towards the procharger because it was less expensive, and the install seemed easier. Although I learned if i wanted more than the standard kit, i would most likely have to upgrade the HPFP and injectors. And I knew I wouldn't stop at just the procharger. ALso i felt the M6 is not geared the best to keep the procharger wound up in the power band.

With having to upgrade the fuel stuff at some point, which meant pulling the intake, I then went back to my original desire to get a whipple. Intake has to come off anyway, so right there is the HPFP and injectors.

So I have a whipple on order (coming in 1-2 weeks), installed the LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, and have a roto fab dry filter to install. And I will go from there.

I guess in the end for me, the driving factor was the M6 and which was better suited for that. And wanting that harder hitting torque.

Just some insight to my thought process.
Looking forward to seeing the results with the Whipple. Do you know which pulley you are going to use? How much boost will it provide?

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #47
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post

On the other hand, I am also going to look into an a10 conversion for my 1LE, and in that case would probably stay NA for use at all venues.
What is involved in such project?
Is there a reference of people who already did it?
Seems to be a pretty challenging adventure....
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:05 AM   #48
Jhunsberger

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
Looking forward to seeing the results with the Whipple. Do you know which pulley you are going to use? How much boost will it provide?
I can not wait to get this thing back together, and with the stock dyno pulls and with plans to go back to the same tuner and dyno, I am excited to see the actual gain.

As for your question, straight from Alex at Whipple: "On that application you can expect to see about 9.5 pounds of boost and the standard pulley size is a 3.625."

I inquired to Steve at WeaponX (who i purchased the Whipple thru) about going to a smaller pulley, and he said anyhihng less than the stock 3.625 pulley would require an upgrade to the low side fuel pump, which i do not have plans to do at this point. Also if the 3.625 stock pulley does in fact generate 9.5 lbs of boost, then I really don't want to push the stock internals more than that.

Last edited by Jhunsberger; 05-29-2018 at 07:03 AM. Reason: added to post
Jhunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:54 AM   #49
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
What is involved in such project?
Is there a reference of people who already did it?
Seems to be a pretty challenging adventure....
Its feasible, but expensive. Do not think anyone has done this yet. What stopped me from pursuing this further was the a10s gearing is not ideal for driving 3.73 gears. Changing to the ZL1s 2.85 rear would push an already expensive project to far. That said, I would not be surprised if someone tries this in the future, particularly if you can obtain a10 components from a wreck.