Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #15
zl1diavolo
BlackonBlack

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I ended up buying the HP Tuner and Jordon from JDP Motorsports is sending one out to me. Strangely enough there is no CEL from the install. Not sure if that will come on any time soon or what the deal is.
zl1diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #16
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
No expert here, but I've always heard you need a tune for headers due to many issues. I thought one of was something to do with having a lean condition and hotter than normal temps. I thought if I did what the OP does and save some $$ by installing headers and exhaust, I still need to get a tune.

That being the case, what is the urgency to get a tune?

Last edited by winterboy8; 07-01-2015 at 12:42 PM.
winterboy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #17
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
No expert here, but I've always heard you need a tune for headers due to many issues. I thought one of was something to do with having a lean condition and hotter than normal temps. I thought if I did what the OP does and save some $$ by installing headers and exhaust, I still need to get a tune.

Untrue internet myth. Other than a SES/CEL light coming on eventually for P015B and P015D there is no problem with running headers without a tune. It won't run lean or hotter than usual.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #18
umatac1

Drives: 2015-Z06 2014-Z51 2013-ZL1
Im sort of in the same boat here. I have an auto 2013 zl1 and considering catted headers. I purchased a used sct4 tuner. Im new to modding and have race ramps. So my question is any advice or recommendation for getting a tune from someone or company via email, also where to buy catted headers...thanks in advance.
umatac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #19
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Untrue internet myth. Other than a SES/CEL light coming on eventually for P015B and P015D there is no problem with running headers without a tune. It won't run lean or hotter than usual.
You are highly regarded on this site and I'm fairly confident to take your advice. I'd really like to get my car tuned by either Tampa Tuning or Fasterproms, but neither is close to me and I was always concerned about installing the mods then having to drive to them to get it set up. I guess I won't worry so much now and maybe even take a stab at doing the work myself.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:

You're fine with no tune. But when you do get ready to tune you'll want to think about upgrading injectors too. Florida Speed and Power is a hop skip away from you and one of the very best tuners.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:50 AM   #21
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
You are highly regarded on this site and I'm fairly confident to take your advice. I'd really like to get my car tuned by either Tampa Tuning or Fasterproms, but neither is close to me and I was always concerned about installing the mods then having to drive to them to get it set up. I guess I won't worry so much now and maybe even take a stab at doing the work myself.
If you installed headers and drive over to the professionals at Tampa Tuning, You'll be fine but please don't go tipping into boost doing WOT runs because you do risk leaning out. They do come from the factory rich, but I wouldn't do WOT because you'll be over the recommended duty cycle of the injectors. You should also pick up a set of ID850 injectors and we can install and scale them when you arrive.

I may get over to Melbourne later this month for a day or two, but just not sure yet.

You welcome to Email me at Tuning@TampaTuning.com
or call me at 813-727-8720
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #22
Debo3883

Drives: 2014 Black ZL1 "Elvira"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
If you installed headers and drive over to the professionals at Tampa Tuning, You'll be fine but please don't go tipping into boost doing WOT runs because you do risk leaning out. They do come from the factory rich, but I wouldn't do WOT because you'll be over the recommended duty cycle of the injectors. You should also pick up a set of ID850 injectors and we can install and scale them when you arrive.

I may get over to Melbourne later this month for a day or two, but just not sure yet.

You welcome to Email me at Tuning@TampaTuning.com
or call me at 813-727-8720
Not trying to derail your thread. I currently have ported throttle body, and rotfab intake. I plan on installing 1 7/8 headers with catless connection pipes, and 10% crank pulley. Will I need bigger injectors at that time?
Debo3883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:51 AM   #23
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Kooks with the SLP Loudmouth 2 axle back give a deep throaty sound.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #24
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1diavolo View Post
Ok guys. I got the green light to put a new exhaust and header on my beast.

Now I need a little help from you all. I love the sound of the Stainless headers and cat back systems but I worry about some past stories of fitment issues. Seems like the majority are using Kooks. Problem is that I want a deep throaty exhaust and have yet to find a video of the Kooks with the right sound.

The other issue is I know nothing about tuning my car. Would purchasing a Diablo Sport be a wise investment and make it easy to put tunes in it when I add performance upgrades?

And last but not least, my local Chevy dealer quoted me $825 to install the headers and cat back system. I am confident in my mechanical skills and have a set of 8" race ramps but will that be enough lift for me to install the system?

Thank you all for your any help you can give me!
Congrats seems like a hard thing to get an OK from the War department LOL

JRE offers Plug and Play Power solutions.

Purchase your parts and an SCT X4 tuner from me and I provide custom tuning for those parts FREE.

You save thousands on installation and custom tuning this way.

I recommend Dynatech Long tube headers with the new Supercats designed specifically for supercharged cars.

This system bolts right to your Stock Cat back and makes it sound incredible, I get compliments all the time with My ZL-1.

If I can be of any assistance please contact me directly.

We Stock Everything ZL-1

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #25
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo3883 View Post
Not trying to derail your thread. I currently have ported throttle body, and rotfab intake. I plan on installing 1 7/8 headers with catless connection pipes, and 10% crank pulley. Will I need bigger injectors at that time?
The injector size is determined by the pulley ratio, anything more than 10% overdrive requires ID-850 injectors.

We have done 10% with Headers, Cold air kit and tuning with stock injectors and they are perfect.

Ted.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #26
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by umatac1 View Post
Im sort of in the same boat here. I have an auto 2013 zl1 and considering catted headers. I purchased a used sct4 tuner. Im new to modding and have race ramps. So my question is any advice or recommendation for getting a tune from someone or company via email, also where to buy catted headers...thanks in advance.
I can certainly help, I Remote custom tune with SCT Daily.

Ted.